Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Aug '13 05:06 / 2 edits
    T. Martin was walking in his suburban neighborhood minding his own business and not committing a crime. What if T. Martin had been white? Would the gun zealots have reacted differently if the boy slain by Zimmerman had been white?

1. An unarmed black boy walking in his suburban neighborhood minding his own business not committing a crime was pursued and killed by Zimmerman.

2. An unarmed white boy walking in his suburban neighborhood minding his own business not committing a crime was pursued and killed by Zimmerman. (Different reaction by gun zealots?)
  2. 04 Aug '13 08:24
    Will you let it go already? Sheesh.

I would expect there to be little response, since a white kid getting shot is not as newsworthy.

I remember there was a story recently about a father who accidentally killed his son, thinking he was a burglar.
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    05 Aug '13 01:05
    Originally posted by moon1969
    T. Martin was walking in his suburban neighborhood minding his own business and not committing a crime. What if T. Martin had been white? Would the gun zealots have reacted differently if the boy slain by Zimmerman had been white?

1. An unarmed black boy walking in his suburban neighborhood minding his own business not committing a crime was pursued an ...[text shortened]... not committing a crime was pursued and killed by Zimmerman. (Different reaction by gun zealots?)
    No disrespect intended Moon, but I think this subject has been beat to death.
  4. 05 Aug '13 02:39

1. An unarmed black boy walking in his suburban neighborhood minding his own business not committing a crime was pursued an ...[text shortened]... not committing a crime was pursued and killed by Zimmerman. (Different reaction by gun zealots?)
    Please. You have misrepresented this factually in a dozen or so threads, and in the title just what is a gun zealot? You insist on injecting race into a matter that was about self defense. Zimmerman is of mixed race, did not pursue Martin. He observed, call the cops just as he was supposed to do. If Martin had been a pasty M&M type behaving in similar manner, he'd have done the same.

When you approach someone, sucker punch them, and beat their head into pavement, you are no longer minding your own business, and you have committed a crime.

If a gun zealot is one who defends the 2nd amendment, and the right of a man to self defense, then count me in. However, zealot implies an enthusiastic desire to use, and most people who carry guns seek to not use them. Using a gun for me is a reluctant last resort.

Perhaps you ought to be more careful about tossing words out there.
  5. 05 Aug '13 02:54

hhhhhh
  6. 05 Aug '13 12:13
    Originally posted by bill718
    No disrespect intended Moon, but I think this subject has been beat to death.
    Just like Zimmerman would have been if he didn't have a gun.
  7. 05 Aug '13 18:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Please. You have misrepresented this factually in a dozen or so threads, and in the title just what is a gun zealot? You insist on injecting race into a matter that was about self defense. Zimmerman is of mixed race, did not pursue Martin. He observed, call the cops just as he was supposed to do. If Martin had been a pasty M&M type behaving in simila ...[text shortened]... a reluctant last resort.

Perhaps you ought to be more careful about tossing words out there.
    Incredibly naive to think race is not relevant. Or a rationalization for your own racism.
  8. 05 Aug '13 18:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Will you let it go already? Sheesh.

I would expect there to be little response, since a white kid getting shot is not as newsworthy.

I remember there was a story recently about a father who accidentally killed his son, thinking he was a burglar.
    If Zimmerman had killed a white boy, the gun zealots would be asserting that Zimmerman abused his legal possession of a firearm and committed a crime, and that Zimmerman had no viable defense to murder.
  9. 05 Aug '13 20:07
    Incredibly naive to think race is not relevant. Or a rationalization for your own racism.
    Perhaps naive on my part, perhaps racist on yours. In any case it is purely a product of your imagination. You might as well ask, what if bullfrogs had wings?
  10. 05 Aug '13 21:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Perhaps naive on my part, perhaps racist on yours. In any case it is purely a product of your imagination. You might as well ask, what if bullfrogs had wings?
    I think the relevant hypothetical would be if moon would be as concerned if GZ was found not guilty if TM was white?
  11. 06 Aug '13 03:02
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I think the relevant hypothetical would be if moon would be as concerned if GZ was found not guilty if TM was white?
    Perhaps, but the real point is that any hypotheticals that disregard the actual facts aren't relevant or helpful. Race was not a factor, and only a racist would try to make it one.
  12. 07 Aug '13 04:36
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Interesting question. I would be just as concerned. And I know Zimmerman would have been arrested right away and swiftly convicted, and well into his long prison sentence.
  13. 07 Aug '13 13:48
    Interesting question. I would be just as concerned. And I know Zimmerman would have been arrested right away and swiftly convicted, and well into his long prison sentence.
    You don't know anything. The facts of the case sucked for the prosecution. Deal with it. If this had been white on white there's a very good chance there wouldn't have been a trial.
  14. 07 Aug '13 16:18
    You are an absolute liar. I know how you'd react, just how you know how 'gun zealots' would react.