Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 02 Oct '16 22:32
    http://peakoil.com/enviroment/fukushima-radiation-has-contaminated-the-entire-pacific-ocean-and-its-going-to-get-worse

    The entire Pacific Ocean has been contaminated with radiation from the Fukushima melt down. The radiation levels are now 5 to 10 times the levels seen after testing A-bombs in the Pacific in years past. What is worse, radiation continues to spew out of the reactor with no end in sight.

    Why is the media not covering this more?
  2. Standard member RBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    02 Oct '16 22:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://peakoil.com/enviroment/fukushima-radiation-has-contaminated-the-entire-pacific-ocean-and-its-going-to-get-worse

    The entire Pacific Ocean has been contaminated with radiation from the Fukushima melt down. The radiation levels are now 5 to 10 times the levels seen after testing A-bombs in the Pacific in years past. What is worse, radiation continues to spew out of the reactor with no end in sight.

    Why is the media not covering this more?
  3. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    02 Oct '16 23:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://peakoil.com/enviroment/fukushima-radiation-has-contaminated-the-entire-pacific-ocean-and-its-going-to-get-worse

    The entire Pacific Ocean has been contaminated with radiation from the Fukushima melt down. The radiation levels are now 5 to 10 times the levels seen after testing A-bombs in the Pacific in years past. What is worse, radiation continues to spew out of the reactor with no end in sight.

    Why is the media not covering this more?
    Because obviously, it's "way more important" for everyone to know exactly what nonsense Donald Trump is spewing today.

    Hopefully, the networks will get back to real news on November 9th.

    Until then, tough luck.
  4. 03 Oct '16 02:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Because obviously, it's "way more important" for everyone to know exactly what nonsense Donald Trump is spewing today.

    Hopefully, the networks will get back to real news on November 9th.

    Until then, tough luck.
    The article speculates that the media is not covering it so as to keep people from panicking.
  5. 03 Oct '16 06:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    The article speculates that the media is not covering it so as to keep people from panicking.
    it's to keep markets from crashing
  6. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    03 Oct '16 06:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://peakoil.com/enviroment/fukushima-radiation-has-contaminated-the-entire-pacific-ocean-and-its-going-to-get-worse

    The entire Pacific Ocean has been contaminated with radiation from the Fukushima melt down. The radiation levels are now 5 to 10 times the levels seen after testing A-bombs in the Pacific in years past. What is worse, radiation continues to spew out of the reactor with no end in sight.

    Why is the media not covering this more?
    Because they have you to do it for them.
  7. 03 Oct '16 06:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    The article speculates that the media is not covering it so as to keep people from panicking.
    I will speculate it's because the article is rubbish.

    In June 2011, TEPCO stated the amount of contaminated water in the complex had increased due to substantial rainfall.[244] On 13 February 2014, TEPCO reported 37,000 becquerels (1.0 microcurie) of cesium-134 and 93,000 becquerels (2.5 microcuries) of cesium-137 were detected per liter of groundwater sampled from a monitoring well.[245]


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Radioactivity_releases
  8. 03 Oct '16 10:26
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    it's to keep markets from crashing
    Only once Obama is out of office cuz they simply can't allow the first black President to fail.
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Oct '16 19:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I will speculate it's because the article is rubbish.

    [quote]In June 2011, TEPCO stated the amount of contaminated water in the complex had increased due to substantial rainfall.[244] On 13 February 2014, TEPCO reported 37,000 becquerels (1.0 microcurie) of cesium-134 and 93,000 becquerels (2.5 microcuries) of cesium-137 were detected per liter of gr ...[text shortened]... uote]

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster#Radioactivity_releases
    Citing the Tolyo Electric Power Company is not definitive.

    But on reflection, the information on offer here is not convincing either. The comments below the line seem persuasive, notably this one: The picture accompanying this article is NOT a map of radiation distribution. Its a map of the propagation of the Fukushima tsunami in the hours after the earthquake, created by Prof. Zygmunt Kowalik of NOAA/University of Alaska.

    If the source offers demonstrably dishonest information within its key arguments then it is surely busted.
  10. 03 Oct '16 19:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    The radiation levels are now 5 to 10 times the levels seen after testing A-bombs in the Pacific in years past.
    Why is the media not covering this more?
    Because
    a: it isn't true.
    b: even it it was true, 5 to 10 times the amount of radiation in the pacific just isn't that much. You will get more radiation taking a flight.


    If that weren’t bad enough, Fukushima continues to leak an astounding 300 tons of radioactive waste into the Pacific Ocean every day.


    Ha ha ha ha ha. I can't believe you are stupid enough to actually believe that sentence.
  11. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Oct '16 20:25
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Because
    a: it isn't true.
    b: even it it was true, 5 to 10 times the amount of radiation in the pacific just isn't that much. You will get more radiation taking a flight.


    If that weren’t bad enough, Fukushima continues to leak an astounding 300 tons of radioactive waste into the Pacific Ocean every day.


    Ha ha ha ha ha. I can't believe you are stupid enough to actually believe that sentence.
    I assume this refers to contaminated water and maybe it would be better described as such. https://www.rt.com/.../japan-fukushima-nuclear-disaster-164/ From this source I do not know either if the figure of 300 tons is still applicable or not and I am not clear just how radioactive it actually might be.
  12. 03 Oct '16 21:06
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I assume this refers to contaminated water and maybe it would be better described as such. https://www.rt.com/.../japan-fukushima-nuclear-disaster-164/ From this source I do not know either if the figure of 300 tons is still applicable or not and I am not clear just how radioactive it actually might be.
    Nothing to see here, obviously any concerns are misplaced according to Twhity.