Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    16 Sep '14 05:38
    NFL Player Adrian Peterson accused of abusing his 4-year-old son by disciplining him by using a wooden switch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/vikings-rb-adrian-peterson-accused-child-abuse-article-1.1937998

He claims he learned this method of discipline as a child in East Texas. It must be a normal disciplinary practice there because I am white and I was sometimes discplined that way by my grandparents when I was a child living in East Texas. I would rather be beaten with a belt or my grandpa's razor strap than one of my grandma's switches she got from a bush in the yard. Those switches really sting. Lucky for me, my grandma was not as strong as a professional football player and she did not need to hit me but a few times before I let her know I wasn't going to be bad anymore.

It appears he let his anger with his son get the better of him in this case. What do you think, is this a crime that needs to be punished by 10 years in prison?
  2. 16 Sep '14 06:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    NFL Player Adrian Peterson accused of abusing his 4-year-old son by disciplining him by using a wooden switch.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/vikings-rb-adrian-peterson-accused-child-abuse-article-1.1937998

He claims he learned this method of discipline as a child in East Texas. It must be a normal disciplinary practice there because I am ...[text shortened]... n this case. What do you think, is this a crime that needs to be punished by 10 years in prison?
    I don't think the first question is whether it is a crime with X years imprisonment but rather, it is whether it is a form of discipline we should try to get away from, which I think it is. But Peterson never learned how to do it another way. It happens. People break the cycle of violence. It's really easier on all involved. What did you do, to discipline your son, when needed?
  3. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    16 Sep '14 06:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    I don't think the first question is whether it is a crime with X years imprisonment but rather, it is whether it is a form of discipline we should try to get away from, which I think it is. But Peterson never learned how to do it another way. It happens. People break the cycle of violence. It's really easier on all involved. What did you do, to discipline your son, when needed?
    I started out with spanking their little hands with my hand. When they got older I spanked the buttocks with my hand. When I thought they were really bad, I would use my belt. I did not want to take the time to go get a switch from the yard and I did not have a razor strap like my grandpa, because I was using a safety razor.

What was your method?
  4. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Sep '14 07:06

What was your method?
    Talking.

Children have the same right as adults not to suffer physical abuse
    from bullies who don't know how to get their own way without violence.
  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    16 Sep '14 12:48
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Talking.

You must mean barking like a dog to them. I've seen many women use that method with varying degrees of success.
  6. 16 Sep '14 13:09
    You must mean barking like a dog to them. I've seen many women use that method with varying degrees of success.
    In all seriousness, I simply do not understand why anyone would use physical discipline when there are non-physical methods. Most people simply can be persuaded/ encouraged/ punished to do everything required of them without the back drop of hitting.
    It is difficult for me to think that hitting someone with a belt or stick or other weapon is not a criminal act. The fact that your parent had a mistaken belief that it was a good idea does not excuse the behavior.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Sep '14 13:37

He claims he learned this method of discipline as a child in East Texas. It must be a normal disciplinary practice there because I am ...[text shortened]... n this case. What do you think, is this a crime that needs to be punished by 10 years in prison?
    Without getting into the "spanking" debate (Which I do think is within parental discretion), AP appears to have beaten the crap out of this very little kid, leaving marks up and down his body. He's not going to prison for 10 years of course, but his behavior is completely unacceptable, whether it has been acceptable in the past or not. I think a few months in prison would be appropriate.
  8. 16 Sep '14 14:49 / 1 edit
    I don't approve of the use of force (except for self-defense), but I can sympathize with RJHinds' grandparents.
  9. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    16 Sep '14 15:06
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't approve of the use of force (except for self-defense), but I can sympathize with RJHinds' grandparents.
  10. 16 Sep '14 17:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    The question of whether corporal punishment is ever appropriate might be considered in the light of a generation of youngsters with absolutely no respect for their parents and other elders, who grew up without corporal punishment.

Personally, I think that totally abandoning corporal punishment is abuse, but improperly administered corporal punishment might be as well.
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    17 Sep '14 02:12
    Originally posted by quackquack
    In all seriousness, I simply do not understand why anyone would use physical discipline when there are non-physical methods. Most people simply can be persuaded/ encouraged/ punished to do everything required of them without the back drop of hitting.
    It is difficult for me to think that hitting someone with a belt or stick or other weapon is not a crim ...[text shortened]... act that your parent had a mistaken belief that it was a good idea does not excuse the behavior.
    My grandparents where from a generation that had been brought up with the slogan "spare the rod and spoil the child." Also from the religious idea...
    He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

(Proverbs 13:24 King James Version KJV)
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    17 Sep '14 09:31
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The question of whether corporal punishment is ever appropriate might be considered in the light of a generation of youngsters with absolutely no respect for their parents and other elders, who grew up without corporal punishment.

Personally, I think that totally abandoning corporal punishment is abuse, but improperly administered corporal punishment might be as well.
    The implication being that this generation of youngsters would have wonderful respect for their parents had they only enjoyed the benefits of a good whipping?
  13. 17 Sep '14 11:06
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Talking.

Reasoning with a 3 year old eh?

It's like debating libs on this site I suppose. Too bad we can't use a switch on them.
  14. 17 Sep '14 11:08
    Originally posted by sh76
    Without getting into the "spanking" debate (Which I do think is within parental discretion), AP appears to have beaten the crap out of this very little kid, leaving marks up and down his body. He's not going to prison for 10 years of course, but his behavior is completely unacceptable, whether it has been acceptable in the past or not. I think a few months in prison would be appropriate.
    Na, just take him away from his parents and place him in custody of the state where children are routinely abused and neglected.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Sep '14 13:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    Na, just take him away from his parents and place him in custody of the state where children are routinely abused and neglected.
    False dichotomy, whodey.

AP is a non-custodial parent. Putting him in jail wouldn't hurt the child that much.

Anyway, I never said they should suspend AP's parenting rights. Once he gets his punishment, he should be able to keep his visitation. Though, a promise to desist from that sort of savagery would be nice.