Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 18:25
    http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-wang-says-ivy-league-discriminates-against-asians-2015-5

So an Asian man obtains a perfect score on the SAT and can't get into the Prog havens of upper academia in places like Yale?

It's nothing new, try finding a famous actor in Hollywood that is Asian, unless they are a stereotypical kung Fu guy you can't.

Progs hate Asians because they are hard working and resourceful. They have no role to play in the growing welfare state
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 18:28
    I readily admit that Asian culture is very much superior to my own.

You just don't see many Asian drug addicts or welfare queens lining the streets. They don't buy into the ideology that if it feels good, do it, that the rest of American culture is buying into.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 19:382 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-wang-says-ivy-league-discriminates-against-asians-2015-5

So an Asian man obtains a perfect score on the SAT and can't get into the Prog havens of upper academia in places like Yale?

It's nothing new, try finding a famous actor in Hollywood that is Asian, unless they are a stereotypical kung Fu guy you can't.

Pro ...[text shortened]... e they are hard working and resourceful. They have no role to play in the growing welfare state
    In the USA, anti-Asian racism seems even worse among 'conservatives' than 'liberals'.
    It tends to be ignored, condoned, or even approved because Asian-Americans are extremely politically weak.

I already have posted this:
    Harvard University's (biased or corrupt) admissions policy already has been denounced,
    including by Asian-Americans who believe that it's covertly racist against them.

Here's an article by Ron Unz, a conservative white American Jew who graduated from Harvard:
    http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/

"The Myth of American Meritocracy:
    How corrupt are Ivy League admissions?"
    --Ron Unz

Ron Unz has a long analysis of racial discrimination against students of Asian heritage.
    He also concludes that Harvard today (unlike in the past) gives preferential treatment to Jewish applicants.
    As I recall, he once estimated that about 25% of Harvard's students are Jewish, but if Harvard
    admitted students only according to academic merit, only about 6% of its students would be Jewish.

For whatever it's worth, Ash wrote this to me in response to my posts:
    "Yes I agree with you. Americans don't want their universities dominated by Asians,
    who in general are more academically deserving of the places, so they try to change the
    acceptance rules to include things that have nothing to do with academics to discriminate
    against them.

One of my closest friends, who comes from one of the wealthiest families in south africa,
    applied and was accepted into Columbia purely off being an excellent student with a
    95 percent average and 100 percent for maths, but revealed to me something disturbing.
    His mother, the CEO of one of the largest investment management companies in africa,
    was recently invited to be on the board of Harvard's africa committee.

Harvard is one of the wealthiest universities in the world, but much of the money meant
    for scholarships is actually untouchable because the people who donated it left specific
    criteria for how it should be spent, usually that they were white middle class Americans.

He revealed to me that without disclosing his marks to the university, they offered his
    mother a place for him, simply for the possibility that she would donate to them."
    --Ash (to Duchess64, 24 January 2017)
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 19:52
    Universities are run by liberals.

What big name University is not run by liberals?

Even nobody schools like the University of Oklahoma is run by liberals.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 20:271 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Universities are run by liberals.
    What big name University is not run by liberals?
    Even nobody schools like the University of Oklahoma is run by liberals.
    Why does Eladar believe that *all* the wealthy white men who run American universities must be 'liberals'?
    Would not their economic interests make them more likely to support the Republican Party?
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 20:43
    I don't believe for one moment that racist trolls like Whodey and Eladar (white men)
    have any sincere concern or interest in learning about anti-Asian racism in the USA.
    Their only aim is to exploit the reality of anti-Asian racism to bash 'liberals' or 'progressives'.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '17 20:47
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I don't believe for one moment that racist trolls like Whodey and Eladar (white men)
    have any sincere concern or interest in learning about anti-Asian racism in the USA.
    Their only aim is to exploit the reality of anti-Asian racism to bash 'liberals' or 'progressives'.
    So Harvard is run by the right wing.

Got it! 🙄
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 01:17
    You are a serious sexist/racist.

You are ignorant of US University political views. Harvard is a liberal Universiry.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 01:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    So Harvard is run by the right wing.

Got it! 🙄
    Obviously Harvard is conservative, it has different standards for different races. Discrimination against Asians and Whites so Hispanics and Blacks can get in is such a conservative thing to do.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 01:46
    Obviously Harvard is conservative, it has different standards for different races. Discrimination against Asians and Whites so Hispanics and Blacks can get in is such a conservative thing to do.
    In the world of Duchess, and many others here, all evil in the universe comes from white conservative males.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 01:53
    You are a serious sexist/racist.
    You are ignorant of US University political views. Harvard is a liberal Universiry.
    Eladar loves to parrot his favorite simple-minded (at best) right-wing American propaganda.
    Assessing Harvard as 'liberal' or 'conservative' is more complicated. In some ways,
    Harvard may be perceived as 'liberal', but, in other ways, as 'conservative'.

As far as I know, Harvard embraces 'legacy admissions', which almost always help white
    applicants with mediocre qualifications from affluent privileged families to gain admission.

Within the community of Middle Eastern studies in the USA, Harvard has a reputation as a
    bastion of being extremely pro-Israeli. Young academics who are much critical of Israel
    are advised that their road to tenure at Harvard will be very hard, if not impassable.

It's reasonable to believe that Harvard (which has been run almost completely by white men)
    is racist against Asian-Americans (who have almost no infuence in US politics or the media).
    It's unreasonable to believe that Harvard is racist against white Americans.

In any case, Harvard does *not* represent all, or even most, American universities.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 17:532 edits
    Eladar loves to parrot his favorite simple-minded (at best) right-wing American propaganda.
    Assessing Harvard as 'liberal' or 'conservative' is more complicated. In some ways,
    Harvard may be perceived as 'liberal', but, in other ways, as 'conservative'.

As far as I know, Harvard embraces 'legacy admissions', which almost always help white
    applican ...[text shortened]... mericans.

In any case, Harvard does *not* represent all, or even most, American universities.
    You are trying to say that white liberal men can't believe in affirmative action?

"The complaint, filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleges that for Asian-American students to gain admission, they have to have SAT scores 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students, and 450 points higher than African-American students"

http://observer.com/2015/06/asian-americans-are-indeed-getting-screwed-by-harvard-but-not-how-they-think/

You claim to be good at math, you can figure out how many points above a Hispanic or black a white needs to score to gain entrance to Harvard.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 20:26
    You are trying to say that white liberal men can't believe in affirmative action?

"The complaint, filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleges that for Asian-American students to gain admission, they have to have SAT scores 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students, and 450 points hi ...[text shortened]... ut how many points above a Hispanic or black a white needs to score to gain entrance to Harvard.
    Well surely you have some figures on how many points above Hispanics and black people the oppressed white folks need to have in order to gain entrance to Ivy League Universities.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 20:54

"The complaint, filed with the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, alleges that for Asian-American students to gain admission, they have to have SAT scores 140 points higher than white students, 270 points higher than Hispanic students, and 450 points high ...[text shortened]... ut how many points above a Hispanic or black a white needs to score to gain entrance to Harvard.
    So Eladar objects to affirmative action, which helps blacks and Latinos, though not Asians.
    But Eladar does not object to legacy admissions, which almost always help affluent whites.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    04 Apr '17 22:05
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Well surely you have some figures on how many points above Hispanics and black people the oppressed white folks need to have in order to gain entrance to Ivy League Universities.
    Hispanics ARE White you Anglo savage