Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Mar '17 11:01
    It's that time of the month again. With Trump's new EO travel ban, which District Court will stop him this time?

Place your bets.
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    08 Mar '17 18:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's that time of the month again. With Trump's new EO travel ban, which District Court will stop him this time?

Place your bets.
    Colorful idea, but a tiny look at the bigger picture might be in order.

Average number of Americans killed on American soil each year by terrorists during the Obama years: 7

Average number of Americans killed on American soil during the same period by auto accidents: 35,775

Now, we all know how "soft on terror" Obama was, but is this travel ban really going to make us safer??
  3. 08 Mar '17 18:58
    Originally posted by mchill

Average number of Americans killed on American soil each year by terrorists during the Obama years: 7

Average number of Americans killed on American soil during the same period by auto accidents: 35,775

Now, we all know how "soft on terror" Obama was, but is this travel ban really going to make us safer??
    Assuming your numbers are accurate, you are OK with averaging 7 deaths per year?

Do you think doubling the number will then raise it to 14 per year?
  4. 08 Mar '17 19:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    Assuming your numbers are accurate, you are OK with averaging 7 deaths per year?

Do you think doubling the number will then raise it to 14 per year?
    I think his point was that resources would be better spent in other fields, as they will stop more deaths in total.
  5. 08 Mar '17 20:08
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    I think his point was that resources would be better spent in other fields, as they will stop more deaths in total.
    You mean like allocating resources to repair failing dams instead of using them to establish sanctuary cities?
  6. 08 Mar '17 20:13
    Originally posted by mchill

I'm not sure how you get 7 people killed per year. According to Wikipedia, 9/11 (one attack) actually killed 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 others, and caused at least $10 billion in property and infrastructure damage and $3 trillion in total costs.
    We haven't had a president assassinated in over half a century, should we get rid of the secret service? Or do we realize that sometimes preventative measure actually work and prevent attacks.
  7. 08 Mar '17 22:08
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I'm not sure how you get 7 people killed per year. According to Wikipedia, 9/11 (one attack) actually killed 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 others, and caused at least $10 billion in property and infrastructure damage and $3 trillion in total costs.
    We haven't had a president assassinated in over half a century, should we get rid of the secret service? Or do we realize that sometimes preventative measure actually work and prevent attacks.
    People like him also conveniently leave out the fact that these people are prone to taking out entire cities with the possible use of WMD's.

As it is, 9/11 targeted the nations economy as well as killing people. That is because they are at war with the US.
  8. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    08 Mar '17 22:53
    Originally posted by quackquack
    If you had bothered to read my post Mr. Quack, you would have seen I was talking about the Obama years, NOT the reign of GW Bush and Co. While were on the subject however, maybe you can explain why so many more Americans died of terror attacks during the reign of that fine, Christian pure GW Bush and so few died during the reign of that horrible Muslim Obama???