Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 13:161 edit
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/09/11/almost-a-third-of-americans-could-imagine-supporting-a-military-coup-in-the-us/#ixzz3lWctRdi2

For many Americans, a coup in which the military seizes control of the federal government is starting to seem like a refreshing alternative to the existing administration, according to a new poll.

Conducted by YouGov, a new survey has found that 29 percent of Americans could imagine a scenario where they would support a military takeover in the United States. A total of 41 percent could not imagine supporting such an event. And so while the coup-supporters are still decidedly in the minority, the fact that the option polls so highly is remarkable. This translates to 70 million Americans who are potentially ready to support a coup.

The survey results revealed a clear political divide. Republicans were more than twice as likely to rate a potential coup more highly than Democrats, with the two parties polling 43 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

Special: New Probiotic Fat Burner Takes GNC by Storm

Part of the suspected reason for fondness towards a U.S. coup is that military officers consistently garner more public support than politicians. From the same survey, 70 percent of respondents think that officers want what’s best for America, compared to just 12 percent who think the same of members of Congress—a major disparity. In fact, 71 percent of respondents believe that members of Congress only want what’s best for themselves. Local politicians don’t fare much better at 59 percent.
  2. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 14:40
    Good article. I'm not sure it's as depressing as it seems: the question "Can you imagine...?" is pretty easy to answer in the affirmative to a generation schooled in dystopian horror and The Dead Zone, and the answers to question eleven indicates that they don't particularly respect the infallibility of the military chain of command either, although it's strange that female respondents should so disproportionately venerate the military. I doubt whether many people are actively dreaming of being saved by the Junkers, and even if there were, there's probably no American Schleicher out there to assist.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    Good article. I'm not sure it's as depressing as it seems: the question "Can you imagine...?" is pretty easy to answer in the affirmative to a generation schooled in dystopian horror and The Dead Zone, and the answers to question eleven indicates that they don't particularly respect the infallibility of the military chain of command either, although it's st ...[text shortened]... he Junkers, and even if there were, there's probably no American Schleicher out there to assist.
    That is an important point. And related is the concept of margin of error. It's often taken to mean that the true value is within x%, in this case 4%. What it really means is that repeated polls with the same questions will be within X% of the reported value. So if the questions asked are slanted, the slantedness will be there on repeated polling.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 15:51
    I wonder, at what point would people here support a military takeover?
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 16:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    About the only military coup I can think of that was even remotely worth supporting was Operation Valkyrie. It's difficult to see how the Wehrmacht could possibly have been a worse option than Hitler. Military juntas make for dreadful civilian governments. So criteria would have to be that a military take-over couldn't make the situation worse alongside a clear schedule for a return to normal government. I don't think the U.S. is currently anywhere near the point where a military takeover could not make things worse.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 16:35
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    About the only military coup I can think of that was even remotely worth supporting was Operation Valkyrie. It's difficult to see how the Wehrmacht could possibly have been a worse option than Hitler. Military juntas make for dreadful civilian governments. So criteria would have to be that a military take-over couldn't make the situation worse alongsi ...[text shortened]... U.S. is currently anywhere near the point where a military takeover could not make things worse.
    What about the military taking over in Egypt?

You had an opporessive regime in the Muslim Brotherhood, supported by Obama, that took over which the military overthrew.
  7. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 16:45
    I think it probably depends on the nature of the military and the nature of the civilian government, since most but by no means all military governments are right-wing. And of course the moment soldiers become politicians, you can forget all that "country before self" stuff, you just have uniformed politicians with guns and divisions, which in turn means the military itself becomes degraded, like in Argentina under Galtieri, where the air force gathered prestige and power because the navy and army were seen to have failed.

I can't think of any point short of the most extreme, since coups have such poor results. Something like Operation Zamora, perhaps, but even that was deeply flawed.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 16:48
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    I think it probably depends on the nature of the military and the nature of the civilian government, since most but by no means all military governments are right-wing. And of course the moment soldiers become politicians, you can forget all that "country before self" stuff, you just have uniformed politicians with guns and divisions, which in turn means th ...[text shortened]... ve such poor results. Something like Operation Zamora, perhaps, but even that was deeply flawed.
    In US history, generals were routinely elected President.

I think Eike was the last.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 18:06
    What about the military taking over in Egypt?

You had an opporessive regime in the Muslim Brotherhood, supported by Obama, that took over which the military overthrew.
    The Muslim Brotherhood was a duly elected government and far less oppressive than the military dictatorship that has replaced it. Obama, far from supporting the MB, has restored military aid to Egypt even though it is against US law to send aid to a government installed in a coup against an elected leader.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 18:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Muslim Brotherhood was a duly elected government and far less oppressive than the military dictatorship that has replaced it. Obama, far from supporting the MB, has restored military aid to Egypt even though it is against US law to send aid to a government installed in a coup against an elected leader.
    That is because Obama is the lawless one, the son of Satan.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 19:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    "Obama, far from supporting the MB, has restored military aid to Egypt even though it is against US law to send aid to a government installed in a coup against an elected leader."

You enjoy telling me how many laws Obama breaks with impunity, don't you. 😠
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is because Obama is the lawless one, the son of Satan.
    Don't you mean daughter?

😛
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 19:23
    Wow. Nearly half of Republicans aren't really Republicans. They are fascists. By their own admission.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Wow. Nearly half of Republicans aren't really Republicans. They are fascists. By their own admission.
    Anyone desiring to attain political power and wishing to impose their will on the masses could be said to be a fascist.

What is sad is when they lie about what they want to do, which they all end up doing. It kind of deligitamizes the notion of democracy.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Sep '15 19:49
    "Obama, far from supporting the MB, has restored military aid to Egypt even though it is against US law to send aid to a government installed in a coup against an elected leader."

You enjoy telling me how many laws Obama breaks with impunity, don't you. 😠
    I have no problem stating my disagreements with this or any other President.

Congress could have specifically cut all military aid to Egypt in the last few years as part of the appropriations process. They have not, mostly because Republicans and many Democrats prefer a military dictatorship in Egypt to an elected Islamic one.