Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13030
    11 Dec '15 23:241 edit
    British Muslims report 'sympathy' for IS

    The Sun printed this headline on its front page: "1 in 5 Brit Muslims' sympathy for jihadis". According to a telephone poll conducted by Survation, 19.8% of respondents said they either had "some" or "a lot of" sympathy for young Muslims who left the UK to join fighters in Syria.

    The paper spoke to prominent Muslims, who said the poll was a "wake-up call" and quoted one of the country's most prominent Muslim politicians, Labour MP Sadiq Khan, who said: "It is clear that Britain needs to take its head out of the sand."

    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-34907660

    Do Brits want to take in more Muslims?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13030
    11 Dec '15 23:321 edit
    ISIS on the hunt for ANOTHER British executioner like Jihadi John

    The Islamist fanatics are believed to have already begun the recruitment process for their next celebrity executioner and are set to release a stream of gruesome beheading videos to reassert their authority.

    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/619325/ISIS-hunt-British-executioner-Jihadi-John-Mohammed-Emwazi-US-airstrike-Raqqa

    Should the Brits send a replacement for Jihadi John?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    11 Dec '15 23:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]ISIS on the hunt for ANOTHER British executioner like Jihadi John

    The Islamist fanatics are believed to have already begun the recruitment process for their next celebrity executioner and are set to release a stream of gruesome beheading videos to reassert their authority.

    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/619325/ISIS-hunt-British-executioner ...[text shortened]... John-Mohammed-Emwazi-US-airstrike-Raqqa

    Should the Brits send a replacement for Jihadi John?[/b]
    ISIS can get their next spokesman from any Western nation. All of us have invited them into our countries.
  4. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16084
    12 Dec '15 19:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]British Muslims report 'sympathy' for IS

    The Sun printed this headline on its front page: "1 in 5 Brit Muslims' sympathy for jihadis". According to a telephone poll conducted by Survation, 19.8% of respondents said they either had "some" or "a lot of" sympathy for young Muslims who left the UK to join fighters in Syria.[/b]
    It was a deeply flawed survey, and the reports in The Sun were simply incorrect, as the survey company itself pointed out:

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/pollster-survation-distances-itself-from-the-suns-coverage-of-its-muslim-jihadis-poll-a6746876.html
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    80056
    12 Dec '15 19:50
    I'm not convinced that accepting large numbers of immigrants at a time when we have a housing crisis represents wisdom. However, if there are to be immigrants I'm indifferent as to whether they are Muslim or not.
  6. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Joined
    25 Jun '06
    Moves
    64930
    12 Dec '15 23:162 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm not convinced that accepting large numbers of immigrants at a time when we have a housing crisis represents wisdom. However, if there are to be immigrants I'm indifferent as to whether they are Muslim or not.
    In the UK it would be nice to have a government willing to address the housing crisis. Nothing to do with migrants. Everything to do with neoliberal economics. Britain's housing crisis is caused by its government policies and could be managed if Labour were re-elected.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    13 Dec '15 00:15
    Originally posted by finnegan
    In the UK it would be nice to have a government willing to address the housing crisis. Nothing to do with migrants. Everything to do with neoliberal economics. Britain's housing crisis is caused by its government policies and could be managed if Labour were re-elected.
    It might help solve other problems as well. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/new-british-labour-leaders-support-for-a-united-ireland-branded-unhelpful-31554856.html
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    13 Dec '15 11:45
    Mohammad ,some statistics say it was the most popular boys name in the UK for 2014 . Just a name or is a it an outcome of non assimilation and a reluctance to embrace the British way ?.
    I hope these little Mohammad's grow up as British people .
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    13 Dec '15 12:25
    Originally posted by finnegan
    In the UK it would be nice to have a government willing to address the housing crisis. Nothing to do with migrants. Everything to do with neoliberal economics. Britain's housing crisis is caused by its government policies and could be managed if Labour were re-elected.
    I think you will have a long wait to see Labour get back into power .
    They (Labour ) have gone back to the donkey jacket wearing days of Michael Foot .
    How can it be "nothing to do with migrants " where do you expect them to live ?
  10. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    13 Dec '15 12:36
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Mohammad ,some statistics say it was the most popular boys name in the UK for 2014 . Just a name or is a it an outcome of non assimilation and a reluctance to embrace the British way ?.
    I hope these little Mohammad's grow up as British people .
    An interesting comment from someone (possibly) named Phil - not an English name. Why didn't your parents name you Æthelred or a similar true English name?
  11. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    13 Dec '15 14:15
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    An interesting comment from someone (possibly) named Phil - not an English name. Why didn't your parents name you Æthelred or a similar true English name?
    Exactly how long must a name be used before it becomes 'true English'?
  12. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    13 Dec '15 14:17
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm not convinced that accepting large numbers of immigrants at a time when we have a housing crisis represents wisdom. However, if there are to be immigrants I'm indifferent as to whether they are Muslim or not.
    What is the 'housing crisis' and how big an effect would immigrants actually have on it?
  13. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    13 Dec '15 14:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Exactly how long must a name be used before it becomes 'true English'?
    Perhaps the name police, led by phil3000, can let us know.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    13 Dec '15 15:40
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    An interesting comment from someone (possibly) named Phil - not an English name. Why didn't your parents name you Æthelred or a similar true English name?
    They could have named me Jesus .
    Maybe you have missed the point or more probably you think everything's rosy in the cottage which is a good way of thinking but unfortunately we do have problems here in the UK . Phil ,it's a Christian name .
  15. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    13 Dec '15 15:57
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    An interesting comment from someone (possibly) named Phil - not an English name. Why didn't your parents name you Æthelred or a similar true English name?
    Why would my parents want to name me a true English name ?.It seems that Muslims living in the UK want to call their sons a true Muslim name what's your point with mine ?
Back to Top