Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 20:08
    @sleepyguy said
    This. Why don't people understand this?
    Probably because most people don't like math.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 22:01
    @sh76 said
    Probably because most people don't like math.
    Which is why the US government has created a public school system that ranks about 48th in the world.

Kids that graduate don't even know how to balance a check book, but they can engage in endless conversation about the need for gun control.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 22:44
    @whodey said
    Which is why the US government has created a public school system that ranks about 48th in the world.

Kids that graduate don't even know how to balance a check book, but they can engage in endless conversation about the need for gun control.
    How is your mathematical acumen, whodey?
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 07:44
    @sh76 said
    === When I retire, all I want is the $$ I paid into these, nothing more. ===

No you don't. You want more than you put in.

Or at least, under the current system, you'll almost certainly get more than you put in (assuming you live long enough).

You would really settle for an interest-free refund of all you've paid in? If so, I'm sure the government would be happy to do it and pocket the rest.
    sh76 - When you reach your 60's you might want to reconsider this issue. 🙂
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 12:13
    @mchill said
    sh76 - When you reach your 60's you might want to reconsider this issue. 🙂
    If you're already in your 60's, it is a virtual certainty that you'll get your money back with some interest in social security payments (assuming you live to near your life expectancy). It's people like me who are scheduled to retire right around when the social security trust fund is scheduled to be depleted.

But even so, I'm not worried. The government will find a way to fund it. If they have to raise the retirement age by a few years, that's fine with me. I have no intention of retiring at 65 or even 67. My father is 68 and is probably years away from retirement.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 12:55
    @sh76 said
    If you're already in your 60's, it is a virtual certainty that you'll get your money back with some interest in social security payments (assuming you live to near your life expectancy). It's people like me who are scheduled to retire right around when the social security trust fund is scheduled to be depleted.

But even so, I'm not worried. The government will find a way to ...[text shortened]... intention of retiring at 65 or even 67. My father is 68 and is probably years away from retirement.
    One doesn't have to retire to collect Social Security. In fact, once you hit its "full retirement age" you can collect your full benefit without any limit on your income.

SS should be thought of as what it was meant to be i.e. an income floor to prevent elderly poverty and not a retirement plan ( the average benefit of $1300 a month is too low for that).
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 13:25
    @whodey said
    @Sleepyguy

I wonder if they will force the impeachment issue even though they won't have the Senate to complete the job.
    You know good and well there won't be actual impeachment except as a gesture if it came to that since it takes a 2/3 majority to force it through, just a Dem wish list that will never happen. We will have to stumble through the next couple years till we can boot Trump's sorry ass out of office and get a real person who has qualities like empathy and honesty in office.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 21:17
    @whodey said

That's because they know what is important.

It's how we treat others, not how we treat ourselves.
  9. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    01 Nov '18 21:24
    @whodey said

State and local governments created that school system. I thought you were of the opinion that those entities would do a great job at almost everything?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 00:141 edit
    @no1marauder said
    State and local governments created that school system. I thought you were of the opinion that those entities would do a great job at almost everything?
    They did a fine job up until about the 1960's.

I wonder what changed.

What say you?

Or am I being regressive again?
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 03:24
    @whodey said
    They did a fine job up until about the 1960's.

I wonder what changed.

What say you?

Or am I being regressive again?
    Yes, with no evidence to support such a claim.
  12. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 04:04
    Something rather curious to say...

I am totally behind Pres. Trump, and to some extent that means I really back a lot of GOP positions...

Yet, I totally think that we should not worship Capitalism and prevent ourselves from creating an affordable, effective health care system, and I do not care if that is single payer or outright socialization of most resources.

I also think that we absolutely need to create regulations to drastically decrease the amount of plastic waste that we create, and I think that other measures in different ways to increase environmental protection isn't just logical but it is an absolute necessity.

I felt very homeless before Pres. Trump came, to be honest, because he at least was extremely serious about immigration issues, "economic nationalism," and those sorts of attitudes I like....

I really just think that the GOP should totally compromise on health care reform & just find a practical solution; if it closely resembles what Obama put up, fine! Let's embrace it, and let's be non-partisan about it.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 07:531 edit
    @sh76 said
    Small, yes. really really small? No

If I had to handicap it now, I'd call Trump's chances of being re-elected something like 35-40%. If the GOP holds the House and Trump has nobody to blame for gridlock and people naturally get sick of the incumbent party, his chances may be 30-35%. If the Dems take the House, he can blame them for gridlock, anti-Congress sentiment (which the ...[text shortened]... xt 2 years. If the economy sours, he's toast. If the economy stays strong, he has a fighting chance.
    I agree for the most part. When presidents don't want to follow through with their promises they need to shift the blame. This is the perfect excuse for the "powers that be" to maintain the status quo without overt corruption.
    Obama had the votes to pass a healthcare bill with single payer. He didn't because he chose not to. It should have been a scandal within the democrat party, but they adopted the individual mandate instead. Nobody in the corporate news media made the public aware that it was the republican's heath care plan.
    Obama got re-elected anyway. What I am saying is that it depends on the news media. They control what outrages the public and what doesn't.
    Here is something to consider. Would you have predicted Reagan would get re-elected after Oliver North admitted to dealing heroin and cocaine? Reagan called him a hero after North admitted that. Would you have thought North would become the president of the NRA back then?

The Saudis are brutal psychopaths. We can still send them weapons even though they are as bad as any terrorist group. Where is the outrage? Even the democrats are passing on the chance to criticize Trump over it.

They are waiting for the corporate news media to influence them into outrage. As long as the Saudis play ball with the empire that will not happen. The Saudis Kingdom is run by psychopaths, but they are the empire's psychopaths.

Edit: That could change if the Saudis don't play ball, but you don't ship weapons to a regime that is not playing ball. They could use those weapons against us if we bomb them.

https://me.me/i/during-the-1973-arab-israeli-war-when-king-faisal-cut-off-10631976