Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Oct '15 23:41
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/black-u-citizen-kyle-lydell-001353602.html

Seems like he has more to fear from other blacks than the police.
    Given the statistics of blacks murdered/attacked/assaulted in the US. please look them up before commenting. .
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Oct '15 14:06
    Originally posted by FishHead111

Given the statistics of blacks murdered/attacked/assaulted in the US. please look them up before commenting. .
    He may have a case but he has to counter the idea he is fleeing the US to avoid multiple charges and we at this point have no idea of the validity of those charges, they may also be bogus because of his race. So the Canadian authorities will have to make a judgement on the merits. News at 11.
  3. 27 Oct '15 15:20

What a piece of work! He first enters Canada under false pretenses, and then complains about his abuse in the US, and further says that if allowed to stay, he will not go back to face multiple criminal charges in the US. If Canada allows him to stay, they are crazy.
  4. 27 Oct '15 15:22
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He may have a case but he has to counter the idea he is fleeing the US to avoid multiple charges and we at this point have no idea of the validity of those charges, they may also be bogus because of his race. So the Canadian authorities will have to make a judgement on the merits. News at 11.
    If they weren't valid, he would most likely be acquitted. It is up to courts in the US to determine innocence or guilt. US courts would not be able to dismiss Canadian charges.
  5. 27 Oct '15 15:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He may have a case.....
    So you are saying that being black in the US is a serious enough threat to ones life that one can legitimately claim refugee status in another country?
  6. 27 Oct '15 15:35 / 1 edit
    Given the statistics of blacks murdered/attacked/assaulted in the US. please look them up before commenting.
    What the statistics are is not relevant to whether or not one is more of a threat than the other unless either they are uniform country wide and to all people, or he is forced to go to a random location and behave randomly.

The reality is that what is a threat to you depends heavily on location and behaviour (and as this case highlights, race).

But more importantly for this case, whether or not something else is more of a threat than the one he has stated is irrelevant to his case. The only question that needs to be answered with regards to his case is whether or not his fear of being killed by the police should he be deported to the US is a legitimate fear. I would say it is not legitimate.
    If he goes to certain locations or behaves in a certain way then he might well be at risk of being killed by the police, but simply by being black in the US he is not at significant risk and can do much to mitigate said risks without leaving the country.
  7. 27 Oct '15 15:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What the statistics are is not relevant to whether or not one is more of a threat than the other unless either they are uniform country wide and to all people, or he is forced to go to a random location and behave randomly.

The reality is that what is a threat to you depends heavily on location and behaviour (and as this case highlights, race).

But ...[text shortened]... e is not at significant risk and can do much to mitigate said risks without leaving the country.
    If he goes to certain locations or behaves in a certain way then he might well be at risk of being killed by the police, but simply by being black in the US he is not at significant risk and can do much to mitigate said risks without leaving the country.

For illustrative purposes, I'll cite an example from your country. A black American immigrant to S Africa, works in a corporate job, with a fairly high income, drives a BMW, and lives in a gated community, in a home that resembles a prison in some respects. He doesn't consider walking around the townships at night. He sticks to his area and routine, and feels quite safe, primarily because he avoids areas that might be trouble.

It is pretty apparent that the Canty character doesn't avoid trouble, and is in fact a trouble maker.
  8. 27 Oct '15 18:07
    Originally posted by normbenign
    For illustrative purposes, I'll cite an example from your country. A black American immigrant to S Africa, works in a corporate job, with a fairly high income, drives a BMW, and lives in a gated community, in a home that resembles a prison in some respects. He doesn't consider walking around the townships at night. He sticks to his area and routine, and feels quite safe, primarily because he avoids areas that might be trouble.
    Change that to a white South African trying to apply for asylum in the US based on crime statistics for a black township and you will be spot on.
    The point of seeking asylum based on the claim that there is unavoidable danger in your country of origin. One could not for example claim right of asylum if you come from Nepal and claim that you are at significant risk of dying should you climb Mount Everest.
  9. 27 Oct '15 21:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Change that to a white South African trying to apply for asylum in the US based on crime statistics for a black township and you will be spot on.
    The point of seeking asylum based on the claim that there is unavoidable danger in your country of origin. One could not for example claim right of asylum if you come from Nepal and claim that you are at significant risk of dying should you climb Mount Everest.
    I'm not aware of any problems for white S.Africans in immigration to the US. Sure there are quotas, but probably most applications are accepted.

My black friends have had no problems with tourist visas to S. Africa either. I wonder if this guy Canty would be accepted for asylum in S. Africa given his criminal history?
  10. 27 Oct '15 22:08 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign to Twhitehead
    I'm not aware of any problems for white S.Africans in immigration to the US. Sure there are quotas, but probably most applications are accepted.
    My black friends have had no problems with tourist visas to S. Africa either. I wonder if this guy Canty would be accepted for asylum in S. Africa given his criminal history?
    How do Normbenign's claimed 'black friends' feel about Normbenign's condemnation of
    US President LIncoln as 'evil', his fanatical support for the Confederate States of America,
    and his absurd belief that slavery had nothing to do with why the CSA seceded?
    Or would his claimed 'black friends' tell Normbenign only what he wants to hear?
  11. 27 Oct '15 22:22
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    How do Normbenign's claimed 'black friends' feel about Normbenign's condemnation of
    US President LIncoln as 'evil', his fanatical support for the Confederate States of America,
    and his absurd belief that slavery had nothing to do with why the CSA seceded?
    Or would his claimed 'black friends' tell Normbenign only what he wants to hear?
    Some agree, and some don't. I don't measure things based on approval of others. Obviously, this is very important to you,