Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    11 Nov '16 19:00 / 2 edits
    Donald Trump wants big tax cuts for business, and well as lavish spending increases for the military. When asked how he would balance the federal budget, and pay down our national debt with less incoming tax revenue than before these cuts took place, Mr. Trump was very vague in his answer, saying he'd "make some cuts in other areas" What cuts? In what areas? How much? America is struggling to pay down the national debt with the current tax revenue it now takes in. This doesn't seem to add up at all.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Nov '16 19:03
    Originally posted by mchill
    Donald Trump wants big tax cuts for business, and well as lavish spending increases for the military. When asked how he would balance the federal budget with less incoming tax revenue than before these cuts took place, Mr. Trump was very vague in his answer, saying he'd "make some cuts in other areas" I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem to add up. What cuts? In what areas? How much? This doesn't seem to add up at all.
    Of course not; that's hardly even a debate.

The biggest danger of a Trump presidency, IMO, is routine trillion dollar budget deficits. One can only hope he'll get good advice and take it once in office.
  3. 11 Nov '16 19:06
    That has always been the republicans dream.
    1. Lower taxes on the rich.
    2. Increase military spending.
    3. Make the government run out of money, then it has to be downsized and all those lazy people living off handouts suffer first!
    Who needs hospitals or education anyway? If they are important, some enterprising business man will make them into a business.

What I have never really understood is why so many people buy into this policy given that it is only beneficial to the wealthy.
  4. 11 Nov '16 19:09
    In all my years on this forum, I don't think I have ever seen a republican actually talk about workable policy solutions. All they ever seem to do is whine about Obama and about how they would like to scrap current solutions.
    Note the other thread where several republicans are asked what they want to do once Obamacare is repealed. They just dodge the question over and over.
  5. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    11 Nov '16 19:11
    Originally posted by sh76

The biggest danger of a Trump presidency, IMO, is routine trillion dollar budget deficits. One can only hope he'll get good advice and take it once in office.
    One can only hope he'll get good advice and take it once in office.

I always try to be optimistic, but "hope" seems to be about all we have left.
  6. 11 Nov '16 19:14 / 1 edit
    Donald Trump wants big tax cuts for business, and well as lavish spending increases for the military. When asked how he would balance the federal budget, and pay down our national debt with less incoming tax revenue than before these cuts took place, Mr. Trump was very vague in his answer, saying he'd "make some cuts in other areas" What cuts? In what areas? ...[text shortened]... national debt with the current tax revenue it now takes in. This doesn't seem to add up at all.
    The GWB administration cut taxes and raised spending on the military, and they did it by increasing the deficit. I would expect a Trump presidency to be no different, but he can surprise me (he already did by winning this election).

He's not going to significantly cut government spending except on a few token agencies like the EPA, but those agencies' budgets are tiny compared to the federal budget. Trump can cut into food stamp programs or Medicaid if he wanted to, but that won't make him very popular. And what else is he going to do, cut into Medicare or Social Security?
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    11 Nov '16 19:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The GWB administration cut taxes and raised spending on the military, and they did it by increasing the deficit. I would expect a Trump presidency to be no different, but he can surprise me (he already did by winning this election).

He's not going to significantly cut government spending except on a few token agencies like the EPA, but those agencies ...[text shortened]... 't make him very popular. And what else is he going to do, cut into Medicare or Social Security?
    The tax cuts will create a YUGE economic boon with growth rates consistently at 4% per year and the added revenue will wipe out not only the deficit, but the national debt in a decade at most - esp. when all that waste and fraud in government is easily eliminated by the expert businessman Trump.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    11 Nov '16 19:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76

Ed Meese is in charge of his transition team's management and budget issues.
  9. 11 Nov '16 19:34
    Donald Trump wants big tax cuts for business, and well as lavish spending increases for the military. When asked how he would balance the federal budget, and pay down our national debt with less incoming tax revenue than before these cuts took place, Mr. Trump was very vague in his answer, saying he'd "make some cuts in other areas" What cuts? In what areas? ...[text shortened]... national debt with the current tax revenue it now takes in. This doesn't seem to add up at all.
    the math was done. he would have a bigly deficit. huge.
  10. 11 Nov '16 21:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The tax cuts will create a YUGE economic boon with growth rates consistently at 4% per year and the added revenue will wipe out not only the deficit, but the national debt in a decade at most - esp. when all that waste and fraud in government is easily eliminated by the expert businessman Trump.
    Trump probably actually believes that kind of stuff - will his advisers convince him it's all hogwash? I doubt it. It's going to be trickle-down all over again, and the only thing that will be trickling down is urine from the 1% on the faces of working Americans.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    11 Nov '16 22:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Trump probably actually believes that kind of stuff - will his advisers convince him it's all hogwash? I doubt it. It's going to be trickle-down all over again, and the only thing that will be trickling down is urine from the 1% on the faces of working Americans.
    Trump's economic team has hardly any economists but plenty of Goldman Sachs' partners and billionaire hedge fund managers. It's doubtful they are going to tell him that YUGE tax cuts for the rich aren't a great idea.
  12. 11 Nov '16 22:27 / 1 edit
    I bet ya dollars to donuts he was avoiding the issue. At least Gill Stein was honest about getting the fed to make money out of nothing and use it for a good purpose. He will get a stimulus package together and spend it on the country instead of the bankers and corporations to set up overseas. He will use the system as has Obama did only this time for the good of the nation. Not the best thing for the dollar but better than the previous plans and it may be the only option at this time.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    11 Nov '16 22:31
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I bet ya dollars to donuts he was avoiding the issue. At least Gill Stein was honest about getting the fed to make money out of nothing and use it for a good purpose. He will get a stimulus package together and spend it on the country instead of the bankers and corporations to set up overseas. He will use the system as has Obama did only this time for the ...[text shortened]... ng for the dollar but better than the previous plans and it may be the only option at this time.
    Yeah, I'm sure his Wall Street banker and billionaire hedge fund advisors will strongly urge him to do that.

You are laughably deluded.
  14. 11 Nov '16 22:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yeah, I'm sure his Wall Street banker and billionaire hedge fund advisors will strongly urge him to do that.

You are laughably deluded.
    Think about where we would be now if all those stimulus packages would have been used for the infrastructure and business here at home? Not a bad plan and if you think about it, how else can it happen? I think he deserves to be treated as an honest president until he proves otherwise.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    11 Nov '16 22:43
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Think about where we would be now if all those stimulus packages would have been used for the infrastructure and business here at home? Not a bad plan and if you think about it, how else can it happen? I think he deserves to be treated as an honest president until he proves otherwise.
    The Republican Congress has blocked any major infrastructure spending for 6 years. I don't think they are going to suddenly support them because Donald Trump said he does during the campaign; Trump changes his mind about policy every other day on most issues (today he praised some of the features of Obamacare), so if we get any extra infrastructure spending it will be minor.