Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:121 edit
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factcheck/%e2%80%98i-don%e2%80%99t-talk%e2%80%99-that-way-trump-says-except-when-he-does/ar-BBN0nWl?ocid=ientp2

"‘I Don’t Talk’ That Way, Trump Says. Except When He Does."

"In particular, Mr. Trump has denied that he called Attorney General Jeff Sessions
    “mentally retarded” or a “dumb Southerner,” as the book [by Bob Woodward] reports."

"Jeane MacIntosh, a former deputy editor at Page Six, the New York Post
    gossip column that Mr. Trump for decades gave stories to, recalled him
    using the phrase “dumb Southerner” with her in a very specific context...
    “Are you old enough to remember the show ‘The Beverly Hillbillies?’” he asked Ms. MacIntosh.
    She replied yes, and Mr. Trump laughed and said, “That’s exactly her
    [Marla Maples, his second wife] family, except they came to New York City
    instead of Beverly Hills.” Ms. MacIntosh added, “I said, ‘What do you mean?’
    And he said she was constantly surrounded ‘by an entourage of dumb Southerners.’”
    He even adopted a fake southern accent to mimic Ms. Maples’s mother, Ms. MacIntosh said."

"But using the phrase “dumb Southerner” would risk offending an important part
    of Mr. Trump’s base, and several lawmakers from the South expressed
    indignation over reports that he said that."

Is Donald Trump an arrogant New Yorker who really looks down on Southerners
    and laughs behind their backs at them when they fall for his blatant deceptions?

Are Southerners dumb enough to believe Donald Trump's lies or accept that
    the leader whom most of them support is more bigoted than they care to admit?
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:171 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factcheck/%e2%80%98i-don%e2%80%99t-talk%e2%80%99-that-way-trump-says-except-when-he-does/ar-BBN0nWl?ocid=ientp2

"In particular, Mr. Trump has denied that he called Attorney General Jeff Sessions
    “mentally retarded” or a “dumb Southerner,” as the book [by Bob ...[text shortened]... es or accept that
    well his support from 'dumb southerners" has grown to over 30% 😉
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:36
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    well his support from 'dumb southerners" has grown to over 30% 😉
    Donald Trump has said that he loves 'poorly educated' Americans.
    How many of them are gullible enough to swallow his lies and love him for flattering them?
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 19:47

“mentally retarded” or a “dumb Southerner,” as the book [by Bob ...[text shortened]... es or accept that
    It is so very easy to sit at one's keyboard only to criticize and find fault with others, is it not Duchess? Spoken with a great deal of conviction on your part no doubt. When was the last time you found a solution to anything?

"Your conviction, as it turns out, is a luxury of those sitting on the sidelines" - A Beautiful Mind
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 20:39
    Originally posted by @mchill
    It is so very easy to sit at one's keyboard only to criticize and find fault with others, is it not Duchess? Spoken with a great deal of conviction on your part no doubt. When was the last time you found a solution to anything?

"Your conviction, as it turns out, is a luxury of those sitting on the sidelines" - A Beautiful Mind
    Abusive lying trolls like Mchill seem extremely resistant toward acknowledging facts.
    Does Mchill object to anything in this fact-checking of Donald Trump?

6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 21:32
    How many of them are gullible enough to swallow his lies and love him for flattering them?
    What do you expect from a bunch of people who cling to their guns and Bibles? 😆
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 21:46
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Who famously told his people to put their trust in "God and the Mauser"?

Ben Viljoen, a Boer who emigrated (after losing a war to the British) from South Africa to the USA.
    He served as US Consul in Germany and a military advisor to the President of Mexico.
    He died in New Mexico (far away from the veldt of South Africa).
  8. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 23:35
    I can tell you from experience. There are many dumb Southerners. They're called rednecks. There are many dumb Northerners, too. They're called democrats.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:17
    do you >hate< the pooly educated?
  10. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:27
    The Woodward book simultaneously implies that he is surrounded by staff that all secretly hate him...

... And, Pres., Trump also now apparently talks garbage on his staff.

DOesn't this make him seem less obtuse and more cognizant of the fact that he may be being undermined by his own people..? Of course, though, you can view this all as just & only bad & hot takes on Woodward's material, in which case Pres. Trump receives no benefit for seeing through things and is simultaneously totally oblivious & hostile and duly undercut by his staff.

But that is a position of convenience.

It would also really say a lot about... luck? the system? the quality of democracy itself? if we do buy the narrative that he is an irredeemable idiot who survives solely by his staff and ... it generally works and has improved the American economy, lol.
  11. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 00:31
    Rhetorical question, to be sure.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 01:25
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Rhetorical question, to be sure.
    Are you Colonel Sanders?
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 03:54
    In my family, some people of an older generation had little formal education
    on account of factors such as poverty or interruptions
    by revolution, war, or attempted genocide.

I have observed some of my poorly educated relatives
    struggle to comprehend and survive in a rapidly changing world.
    There's nothing to sentimentalize about growing up in ignorance.
    Our children often had their hopes and dreamd thwarted
    on account of their parents ' inability to comprehend them.
    In many ways, a poorly educated adult's no more capable than a child.

I don't hate my ancestors who were poorly educated.
    Yet I loathe what that lack of education made them.
  14. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 03:56
    Originally posted by @whodey
    bible smible. agnostic but still pack 24/7
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 04:41
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I can tell you from experience. There are many dumb Southerners. They're called rednecks. There are many dumb Northerners, too. They're called democrats.
    Wait, wut to Crimson Tide fans have to do with all this?