Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 18:392 edits
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/us/politics/trump-mitch-mcconnell-republicans.html

"Trump, in Scorching Attack on McConnell, Urges G.O.P. to Replace Him"

By now, it has become clear that Mitch McConnell would prefer that
    the Republican Party move forward *without* Donald Trump.

Donald Trump characteristically hurled personal insults against Mitch McConnell
    and made an implicit racist attack against his wife, Elaine Chao,
    who had served as Trump's Secretary of Transportation.

"Trump’s reference to Ms. Chao’s family was also a line of attack
    that Mr. McConnell and his inner circle have long denounced as
    racist when it comes from Democrats."

Elaine Chao's ethnic Chinese. She was born in Taiwan and emigrated at age 8
    with her family to the USA. She never has lived in the People's Republic of China.
    The Foremost Group (based in New York City), which was founded by her father, does
    business, of course, with China, but Trump's companies also do business with China.
    Doing business with China is not considered 'suspicious' in the USA apparently
    unless the person doing business happens to be ethnic Chinese, not white.
    Trump appeals to the popular racist belief that every ethnic Chinese
    must be covertly (at least) serving or eager to serve the PRC's government.

In his memoir, Mitch McConnell wrote about how Elaine Chao had
    told him about racism that she had experienced in the USA.
    He professed his sympathy but refused to use the term 'racist' in his book,
    presumably because it could offend Americans who like to deny the
    existence of anti-Chinese racism in the USA.

I had wondered what it would take for Mitch McConnell to stand up
    in public against President Trump. What if Elaine Chao had told him
    that President Trump had sexually assaulted her at the White House?
    Would Mitch McConnell have urged her to keep silent or tried to fight back?
    Now I suppose that we may find out how much Mitch McConnell is
    afraid of *former* President Trump.

Will most Republicans in this forum side with Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 21:08
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/16/us/politics/trump-mitch-mcconnell-republicans.html

"Trump, in Scorching Attack on McConnell, Urges G.O.P. to Replace Him"

By now, it has become clear that Mitch McConnell would prefer that
    the Republican Party move forward *without* Donald Trump.

Donald Trump characteristically hurled personal insults against Mitch McConnell
    and ...[text shortened]... * President Trump.

Will most Republicans in this forum side with Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell?
    "Will most Republicans in this forum side with Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell?"
    A normal person would say that's like choosing between Dahmer and Bundy in a fight to the death.

But since i am assuming it's aimed at the flavour of republicans that follow trump like he is jesus, i would say trump. Nobody likes Mitch. Not republicans and not even people from Kentucky. They jost vote for him religiously to not vote democrat and they tolerate him because he was a valuable ally to their cult leader trump. They will side with the orange
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Feb '21 21:38
    @zahlanzi said
    "Will most Republicans in this forum side with Donald Trump or Mitch McConnell?"
    A normal person would say that's like choosing between Dahmer and Bundy in a fight to the death.

But since i am assuming it's aimed at the flavour of republicans that follow trump like he is jesus, i would say trump. Nobody likes Mitch. Not republicans and not even people from Kentucky. They ...[text shortened]... lerate him because he was a valuable ally to their cult leader trump. They will side with the orange
    Mitch McConnell was in the Senate (elected in 1984) long before Donald Trump ran for President.

I can find many reasons to dislike Mitch McConnell, but it's absurd to pretend
    (as Zahlanzi does) that no one likes someone who's been in the Senate for 36+ years.

Mitch McConnell is less delusional than Donald Trump, so Democrats may wish
    that the Republican Party becomes even more of a 'lunatic fringe' right-wing party.

I would not vote for either of them, but it's absurd to pretend that there's not a major
    difference between Mitch McConnell and Marjorie Taylor Greene (approved by Trump).