Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Sep '16 05:284 edits
    http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/01/23/donald-trump-iowa-rally-shooting-sot.cnn

Not long ago, Donald Trump said he "could shoot someone and not lose votes" After witnessing all the crazy, abrasive, and nonsensical statements he has made in the last 12 months, I'm beginning to believe him. If any other candidate (including the Clinton's) had refused to release their tax returns, told people Hillary Clinton was to blame for the birther movement, fathered 5 children by 3 different women, and use more foul language than most construction workers, then have the gall to call himself an "Evangelical Christian" told a war hero like John McCain he was a "loser" because he was captured by the enemy and became a POW, promise to force another country to pay to build a wall to protect us from them, promise massive tax cuts and military spending increases that make no mathematical sense (just to name a few) they would be finished as a candidate forever. Let Donald Trump do these things, and his followers worship him all the more. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not a Hillary supporter, I think she's a flawed candidate, but even her statements contain a few grains of truth. Please explain to me how Trump can get away with this, and still be in this race. 😕
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    17 Sep '16 05:58
    Originally posted by mchill
    http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/01/23/donald-trump-iowa-rally-shooting-sot.cnn

Not long ago, Donald Trump said he "could shoot someone and not lose votes" After witnessing all the crazy, abrasive, and nonsensical statements he has made in the last 12 months, I'm beginning to believe him. If any other candidate (including the Clinton's) had refused ...[text shortened]... of truth. Please explain to me how Trump can get away with this, and still be in this race. 😕
    [s]

Trump response:

This mchill: what a loser! Probably a Muslim, or a Mexican, I don’t know. Maybe she’s a woman, I don’t know. How disgusting! That’s disgusting. I don’t want to talk about it. I could punch him out, right people? Make America great again! Before all those people got so uppity. See my African American over there? That’s my African American. Believe me. I know more than anybody.

[/s]
  3. Germany
    Moves
    17 Sep '16 08:31

Not long ago, Donald Trump said he "could shoot someone and not lose votes" After witnessing all the crazy, abrasive, and nonsensical statements he has made in the last 12 months, I'm beginning to believe him. If any other candidate (including the Clinton's) had refused ...[text shortened]... of truth. Please explain to me how Trump can get away with this, and still be in this race. 😕
    You just don't understand, it's Hillary who is crooked! Just look at her A-rated charity that, like, helps people and stuff! With money from donors! Meanwhile all Trump did is minor things like bribe a politician and then brag about it - an action that couldn't be further from crooked and all blown out of proportion by the lamestream media.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Sep '16 08:33
    Please explain to me how Trump can get away with this, and still be in this race. 😕
    For quite some time the republican party has encouraged outright lying, racism and other bad behaviour. They have also convinced their supporters that such behaviour is just fine as long as it is done by their own party leaders, and convinced their supporters that everyone else is doing exactly the same whilst acting self righteous about it. As a result, republicans have lost all sense of the truth with regards to politics. Thus they see Trump as being no different in terms of honesty from all the previous politicians, the only difference is that Trump shows no shame whatsoever when he does it.

Even now, we have seen a number of republican leaders saying absolutely nonsensical stuff on tv and acting like they don't realise how stupid it looks to sane people. The big difference is everyone forgets it in a day or so. Trump however is so interesting to the media that it gets repeated over and over.

When Trump first started gaining ground very early in the election, Obama pointed out that when it came to political views, he was little different if not less worrying than many other republican candidates. The only difference being that most non-republicans (and probably many republicans) didn't realise the extremism of the other candidates views - never having bothered to listen to them.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '16 13:38

Even bad media attention is better than no media attention at all. Remember how Hillary got lots of early media attention about her emails? Despite the bad it helped her in the polls. The same is true for Trump. He even said it when defending a woman on his campaign staff. I think he said something like "any attention is better than no attention".

It is very true.