Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 08:12
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "this sounds like a former Security Service (aka MI5) officer rather than an SIS (MI6) officer."
    --DeepThought

He's been identified as Christopher Steele, a former officer in MI6.
    I'd based that guess on the description of him as a former counter-intelligence officer. That makes it less likely that he was fed information and more likely that the information is good. There are multiple sources and it fits with everything else we know.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 10:328 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/11/trumps-trainwreck-press-conference-ushers-in-a-clueless-presidency

"Trump's trainwreck press conference ushers in a clueless presidency"
    --Richard Wolffe (11 January 2017)

Donald Trump's a well-known pathological liar. He lies as naturally as he breathes.
    That's just what he does.
    Trainwreck? my goodness did you see the same press conference that I did? CNN were taken apart, all credibility that they had is now gone, they and Buzzfeed have been publicly outed as publishers of fake news.

Here is Ben Smith of Buzzfeeds own words.

We published the dossier, which Ken Bensinger obtained through his characteristically ferocious reporting, so that, as we wrote, 'Americans can make up their own minds about allegations about the president-elect that have circulated at the highest levels of the US government.'

Our presumption is to be transparent in our journalism and to share what we have with our readers. We have always erred on the side of publishing. In this case, the document was in wide circulation at the highest levels of American government and media. It seems to lie behind a set of vague allegations from the Senate Majority Leader to the director of the FBI and a report that intelligence agencies have delivered to the president and president-elect.

As we noted in our story, there is serious reason to doubt the allegations. We have been chasing specific claims in this document for weeks, and will continue to.

Publishing this document was not an easy or simple call, and people of good will may disagree with our choice. But publishing this dossier reflects how we see the job of reporters in 2017.”

So lets get this, he sees the role of reporters in 2017 as publishing unverified, shady, vague, reckless and malicious allegations regardless of whether they are verified or not.

Why is this not the subject of libel and defamation action? Does it not demonstrate a reckless disregard for the truth and malicious intent to slander Donald Trump? Surely if they were interested in facts they would waited until the allegations were verified? But nooooo.

Far from being a train wreckage it was awesome to see the President elect smack-down the CNN reporter and outing Buzzfeed for their willingness to publish vague, unverified shady allegations and the Guardian fares no better. Quality journalism???? man the Russkies must be laughing their a$$ off.
  3. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 10:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Trainwreck? my goodness did you see the same press conference that I did? CNN were taken apart, all credibility that they had is now gone, they and Buzzfeed have been publicly outed as publishers of fake news.

We published the dossier, which Ken Bensinger obtained through his characteristically ferociou ...[text shortened]... ardian fares no better. Quality journalism???? man the Russkies must be laughing their a$$ off.
    It's a weird world when FOX News backs CNN over Donald Trump.

https://www.joe.ie/index.php/news/video-fox-news-stuck-cnn-donald-trumps-fake-news-accusation/573348
  4. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 10:49

We published the dossier, which Ken Bensinger obtained through his characteristically ferociou ...[text shortened]... ardian fares no better. Quality journalism???? man the Russkies must be laughing their a$$ off.
    Which specific 'vague and unverified shady allegations' did CNN report?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:065 edits
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Which specific 'vague and unverified shady allegations' did CNN report?
    Text has been edited as CNN have distanced themselves from the publishing of the fake news. The Guardian reported it front page all day yesterday. Here is a CNN article which makes reference to the article published by Buzzfeed.

CNN has reviewed a 35-page compilation of the memos, from which the two-page synopsis was drawn. The memos have since been published by Buzzfeed. The memos originated as opposition research, first commissioned by anti-Trump Republicans, and later by Democrats. At this point, CNN is not reporting on details of the memos, as it has not independently corroborated the specific allegations. But, in preparing this story, CNN has spoken to multiple high ranking intelligence, administration, congressional and law enforcement officials, as well as foreign officials and others in the private sector with direct knowledge of the memos.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html?mc_cid=50b8ef8c5c&mc_eid=b29fd3f47d&iid=EL
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:07
    Text has been edited as CNN have distanced themselves from the publishing of the fake news. The Guardian reported it front page all day yesterday.
    It kinda makes Brian Williams seem almost credible. 😵
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:271 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    It kinda makes Brian Williams seem almost credible. 😵
    This is gonna be like a get out of jail free card from Mr. Trump. Its scary though, cause the wheels have come off, all rational thought is gone.
  8. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:44
    Text has been edited as CNN have distanced themselves from the publishing of the fake news. The Guardian reported it front page all day yesterday. Here is a CNN article which makes reference to the article published by Buzzfeed.

CNN has reviewed a 35-page compilation of the memos, from which the two-page synopsis was drawn. The memos have since ...[text shortened]... cs/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html?mc_cid=50b8ef8c5c&mc_eid=b29fd3f47d&iid=EL
    Which part of that is specifically 'vague' or 'unverified shady allegations'?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:482 edits
    Which part of that is specifically 'vague' or 'unverified shady allegations'?
    The reference to vague, shady, unverified was made with regard to Buzzfeed, how you could have failed to recognise this I have no idea. There is no indication in my text which states that CNN published vague, shady or unverified content, you simply made it up. A job at Buzzfeed awaits you 😵
  10. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:51
    The reference to vague, shady, unverified was made with regard to Buzzfeed, how you could have failed to recognise this I have no idea. There is no indication in my text which states that CNN published vague, shady or unverified content, you simply made it up.
    You're correct. I read it wrong. My apologies Robert.
  11. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:52
    The reference to vague, shady, unverified was made with regard to Buzzfeed, how you could have failed to recognise this I have no idea. There is no indication in my text which states that CNN published vague, shady or unverified content, you simply made it up. A job at Buzzfeed awaits you 😵
    Why was it awesome in your view to see The Donald 'smackdown' the CNN reporter?
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 11:53

Well, Buzzfeed were unwise to publish the report as is because the sources could potentially be identified and the Russians have a habit of being vengeful. However, what you are saying makes no sense. The report came from a reputable source, a former British Intelligence officer, who is unlikely to have any personal cause for animosity to Donald Trump. It makes serious allegations. The news outlets noted two discrepancies, both of which are minor - the one about spelling of "Alfa" could be due to a spell checker and that the residential area mentioned is not reserved for government officials is hardly central to the case being built. Like all intelligence it needs to be read skeptically, but the news outlets would be failing in their responsibility to report if they ignored it. Or do you think the American people should be kept in the dark regarding the possibility that one of the election candidates was coordinating his campaign with Russian intelligence?

One feature that rang true about the report was the description of internal division within the Kremlin regarding the level of involvement they should have. Buzzfeed also noted that the report correctly predicted some things that later transpired. I do not think that this report can be dismissed lightly.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 12:11
    It's a weird world when FOX News backs CNN over Donald Trump.

https://www.joe.ie/index.php/news/video-fox-news-stuck-cnn-donald-trumps-fake-news-accusation/573348
    That's because you don't see the establishment.
  14. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 12:16
    Originally posted by Eladar
    That's because you don't see the establishment.
    😴
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '17 12:18
    😴
    Continue to be amazed.