Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Jan '10 22:53 / 1 edit
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/09/national/w110215S26.DTL

GOP: Response to Reid remark shows double standard

By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Republicans on Sunday accused Democrats of a double standard by accepting Sen. Harry Reid's apology for racial remarks about Barack Obama instead of demanding Reid's ouster as majority leader.

In a private conversation reported in a new book, Reid described Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign as a "light-skinned" African-American "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

Reid, D-Nev., apologized to Obama on Saturday, and the president issued a statement accepting the apology and saying the matter was closed.

GOP Chairman Michael Steele, in appearances on two Sunday news programs, compared Reid's predicament with the circumstances that led Senate Republican leader Trent Lott to step down from that post in 2002. Lott had spoken favorably of the 1948 segregationist presidential campaign of Strom Thurmond, and in spite of apologies for those remarks at Thurmond's 100th birthday, Lott was forced out as leader.

"There is this standard where the Democrats feel that they can say these things and they can apologize when it comes from the mouths of their own. But if it comes from anyone else, it's racism," said Steele, who is black. "It's either racist or it's not. And it's inappropriate, absolutely."

2. 10 Jan '10 23:01
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics
  3. 11 Jan '10 03:36
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/09/national/w110215S26.DTL

GOP: Response to Reid remark shows double standard

By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Republicans on Sunday accused Democrats of a double standard by accepting Sen. Harry Reid's apology for racial remarks about Barack Obama i ...[text shortened]... k. "It's either racist or it's not. And it's inappropriate, absolutely."

I suppose Reids 30% approval rating simply is not enough for him. Perhaps he is aiming for 5% approval rating? I saw Al Sharpton on TV today calling for his resignation, but he is the only one I have seen to date. In fact, where are all those on the left on this site?

Sing it!! "Hello silence my old friend...."
  4. 11 Jan '10 04:06
    What Reid said is true. You have such ill gotten faith in the republican position, Zeeble. How can an intelligent person fall prey to such phoney politicalization?
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Jan '10 04:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    In fact, where are all those on the left on this site?
    I found Reid's comments boring. I found his apology boring. Same goes for Obama's response and for the criticism that is being levelled in this direction and that. Boring. Double standards are part and parcel of partisan politics - especially the two-virtually-indistinguishable-party politics kind. You picking over the daily flecks of dandruff on the shoulders of this vacuous celebrity-like world is akin to someone liking the smell of their own farts. Holding one's nose in an inalienable human right.
  6. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    11 Jan '10 13:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    .....shoulders of this vacuous celebrity-like world is akin to someone liking the smell of their own farts. Holding one's nose in an inalienable human right.
    Pfffft.
    Mmmmmm.
  7. 11 Jan '10 13:53
    Originally posted by badmoon
    What Reid said is true. You have such ill gotten faith in the republican position, Zeeble. How can an intelligent person fall prey to such phoney politicalization?
    This is precisely the problem. There are a lot of topics regarding race that are impossible to discuss without someone being dismissed as a "racist".

It is very likely that a major reason why Obama got elected was because he was only "sort of black". Would Obama have gotten elected if he had looked more like, say, Alan Keyes? And likewise, do black people whose skin is a "lighter hue" face less discrimination than those who are darker? And is it easier for someone to get elected if they don't have a heavy accent? - especially if it's an accent associated with a "low class"? Should a candidate be disqualified from consideration just because they grew up in a trailer park?

But who wants to talk about these things? Much more fun to get all shocked and indignant because Harry Reid dared to even bring up the topic.
  8. 11 Jan '10 14:00
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    This is precisely the problem. There are a lot of topics regarding race that are impossible to discuss without someone being dismissed as a "racist".

It is very likely that a major reason why Obama got elected was because he was only "sort of black". Would Obama have gotten elected if he had looked more like, say, Alan Keyes? And likewise, do black peo ...[text shortened]... to get all shocked and indignant because Harry Reid dared to even bring up the topic.
    Joe Biden got into similar trouble for almost the exact same thing during the primaries. While touting why Obama was a formidable opponent he said something like, "he's a black man who's intelligent, articulate and clean."

Because... you know clean black men are an anomaly. LOL

I think he meant clean-cut and I also think he was saying Obama defies every negative stereotype about black people.
  9. 11 Jan '10 14:04
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    GOP Chairman Michael Steele, in appearances on two Sunday news programs, compared Reid's predicament with the circumstances that led Senate Republican leader Trent Lott to step down from that post in 2002.
    How much did Steele get paid for those interviews?
  10. 11 Jan '10 14:09
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    How much did Steele get paid for those interviews?
    "There is this standard where the Democrats feel that they can say these things and they can apologize when it comes from the mouths of their own. But if it comes from anyone else, it's racism," said Steele, who is black. "It's either racist or it's not. And it's inappropriate, absolutely."

So Steele is a "sell out" for saying this?
  11. 11 Jan '10 14:38 / 2 edits
    there is this standard on both sides where thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow party member (unless of course, said party member is trying to make a sensible compromise with someone on the other side).

I suspect that Steele's response would have been different had Reid's comments come from one of the GOP faithful.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Jan '10 15:02 / 1 edit
    I don't think what Reid said was so terrible; nor do I think that what Biden said was so terrible. People need to grow another layer of skin. The idea of crucifying everyone who says anything that could be twisted and construed as having racial overtones is absurd.

That having been said, the OP is correct. The way they went after Lott was an even bigger joke. What Lott said requires a lot of twisting to claim that it was racist. For those who may not remember (or never knew), Lott (then Senate majority leader) was forced to resign bcause, at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party Lott commented how it was so nice that "we" (his state, Mississippi) had voted for Thurmond in 1948.

Yup. That's what Lott's "racist" comment was.

Now, yes, Thurmond ran on a segregationist platform in 1948. But, folks, he was speaking at the man's birthday party. His 100th birthday party! They guy had a foot and a half in the grave. He wanted to make an old man feel good. So he said that his state voted for him for President (which it did).

THAT made him a racist??
  13. 11 Jan '10 15:16
    I generally agree with all of the above. I'm sure that it is true that if a GOP member had used the term "negro dialect" that the dems would be up in arms. Then those fall in line with those attcks are, to me, pawns.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Jan '10 15:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    For those who may not remember (or never knew), Lott (then Senate majority leader) was forced to resign bcause, at Strom Thurmond's 100th birthday party Lott commented how it was so nice that "we" (his state, Mississippi) had voted for Thurmond in 1948.
    To be slightly more precise, what Lott said was:

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."
  15. 11 Jan '10 15:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    To be slightly more precise, what Lott said was:

"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."
    I think Lott was referring to the general GOP bolierplate belief that many of the nation's problems were due to allowing the Dems to "spend too much gummint money". I don't think Lott ever intended it to mean that segregation should've been retained.

But both sides have people who are being paid lots of money to make the other sides' people look like monsters.

It would be refreshing if Steele was to announce that someone "has to be the hero" and end this ugly game once and for all - by strongly urging the GOP to AVOID using Reid's comments to gain any partisan advantage - and urge the Dems to take the same approach when GOP members allow their tongues to slip.