Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 21 Aug '10 12:46
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100820/el_yblog_upshot/shareholders-weigh-in-on-target-best-buys-political-giving

"Target and its corporate retail cousin Best Buy are continuing to suffer fallout from donations to a Minnisota group that backed a gay-marriage opponent for governor. On top of organized consumer boycotts and public campaigns, some of the retail giant's investors are up in arms, according to the Associated Press.

The anti-Target effort among consumers activists, meanwhile, continues to draw a strong online following, with petitions and viral videos -- even though one cable network has rejected a national ad buy from liberal group MoveOn.org urging a Target boycott. MoveOn's political action committee has, however, placed a video on an impromtu musical protest at one Target store on YouTube, where it has already garnered more than half a million views.

These high-profile pushbacks have caught the attention of a trio of institutinoal shareholders in Target and Best Buy -- Walden Asset Management, Trillium Asset Management Corp., and Calvert Asset Management Co. -- who each filed resolutions voicing concern. "A good corporate political contribution policy should prevent the kind of debacle Target and Best Buy walked into." Trillium vice president Shelley Alpern told the AP, "We expect companies to evaluate candidates based upon the range of their positions -- not simply one area -- and assess whether they are in alignment with their core values. But these companies' policies are clearly lacking that."

The three shareholders together control less that 1% of outstanding shares for Target and Best Buy. But as the controversy continues to build, their recommendations will probably keep the pressure on Target executives to renounce the donations. Target is the principal focus of the protests because the store is a better known retail brand -- and because it has long adopted an image of social concern, with programs supporting local schools and environmental initiatives, and domestic partner benefits for store employees. By developing a more hip and urban following, the Minnisota-based chain has ironically left itself more open to campaigns like the present one, which accuses Target of corporate hypocrisy.

MoveOn also produced a national ad promoting the Target boycott -- but officials with the cable network MSNBC turned the spot down, claiming that it violated a network policy banning ads that target individual businesses. As the AP reports, MSNBC would likely face its own backlash from advertisers if it appeared to side with MoveOn in this fight -- even though the network has a stable of prime-time liberal commentators who support gay-marriage rights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So is this the beginning of conservative verses liberal corporate America? Should liberals ban coroprations like Target and conservatives ban corporations like Goldman Sachs?

Let's get it on!!
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    21 Aug '10 13:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100820/el_yblog_upshot/shareholders-weigh-in-on-target-best-buys-political-giving

"Target and its corporate retail cousin Best Buy are continuing to suffer fallout from donations to a Minnisota group that backed a gay-marriage opponent for governor. On top of organized consumer boycotts and public campaigns, some o ...[text shortened]... Target and conservatives ban corporations like Goldman Sachs?

Let's get it on!!
    Are you assuming that liberals would support Goldman Sachs? I say ban them both. Add Walmart to the list as well.
  3. 21 Aug '10 13:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Are you assuming that liberals would support Goldman Sachs? I say ban them both. Add Walmart to the list as well.
    Conservatives have the misguided notion that Goldman Sachs is a leftist organization since they have contributed the most to Obama and are in a fine position to cash in if cap and trade is passed. In fact, they almost seem to be the bank of the DNC.

Having said that, we all know the truth, however, which is that Obama is just another Blue Dog conservative Christian Democrat and is no different that any other policial hack in this horrific capitalistic system. Of course, because he is a Democrat and not a Republican I guess we will give him a little credit.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Aug '10 14:41

"Target and its corporate retail cousin Best Buy are continuing to suffer fallout from donations to a Minnisota group that backed a gay-marriage opponent for governor. On top of organized consumer boycotts and public campaigns, some o ...[text shortened]... Target and conservatives ban corporations like Goldman Sachs?

Let's get it on!!
    Thanks for letting me know; I regularly shop at Target but will join the boycott as I prefer my money not to indirectly fund politicians who support invidious discrimination being made part of the US Constitution. It's nice to finally see a useful post from ya.
  5. 21 Aug '10 14:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Thanks for letting me know; I regularly shop at Target but will join the boycott as I prefer my money not to indirectly fund politicians who support invidious discrimination being made part of the US Constitution. It's nice to finally see a useful post from ya.
    Target has a long history of donating to various charities that are right up your alley, they make one mistake and donate to a group that backs a candidate you don't like and you're ready to boycott.

Hypocrite
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Aug '10 14:55
    Mmm. Someone needs to look up the word "hypocrite" in a dictionary, I think.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Aug '10 14:57
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Target has a long history of donating to various charities that are right up your alley, they make one mistake and donate to a group that backs a candidate you don't like and you're ready to boycott.

Hypocrite
    They were given the chance to rectify their mistake by giving an equal amount to some organization in Minnesota that supports the rights of gays and they declined. Therefore, the corporation is knowingly supporting a candidate who wants to put invidious discrimination in the US Constitution.

That I cannot support and there is nothing "hypocritical" about me not wanting to support it. It would be hypocritical if I did.
  8. 21 Aug '10 15:17 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No problem. Its the new left winged Whodey!!

I do have one question, however. Since the issue of gay marriage is obviously in the hands of the courts, why then is everyone up in arms regarding political figures who may oppose gay marriage?

BTW: Dont forget to boycott Best Buy as well, or as like to call them, "Fascist Nazi loving Bigoted Best Buy".
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Aug '10 15:22
    No problem. I do have one question, however. Since the issue of gay marriage is obviously in the hands of the courts, why then is everyone up in arms regarding political figures who may oppose gay marriage?

BTW: Dont forget to boycott Best Buy as well, or as like to call them, "Fascist Nazi loving Bigoted Best Buy".
    This particular candidate wants a Constitutional amendment which would take the issue out of the courts according to present standard judicial interpretations.

I did buy my computer at Best Buy, but I haven't brought anything there in a couple of years. But thanks for the tip.
  10. 21 Aug '10 15:28
    Give millions to left wing charities, make ONE MISTAKE and marauder will boycott you.
    What a crunt.
  11. 21 Aug '10 15:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mmm. Someone needs to look up the word "hypocrite" in a dictionary, I think.
    Mmmm. Someone needs to ask marauder how many millions of dollars he's donated to left wing charities before calling for a boycott, I think.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Aug '10 15:31
    Give millions to left wing charities, make ONE MISTAKE and marauder will boycott you.
    What a crunt.
    Target's policy is completely deliberate and not a 'mistake'.
  13. 21 Aug '10 15:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Target's policy is completely deliberate and not a 'mistake'.
    Yes and it's deliberately along the lines you and marauder like.
    But they had one crappy little oversight, and now you two clowns want to crucify them.

Yeah you are both hypocrites.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Aug '10 15:33
    Mmmm. Someone needs to ask marauder how many millions of dollars he's donated to left wing charities before calling for a boycott, I think.
    No. He's explained himself pretty well. You on the other hand need to consult a dictionary rather than brandish your ignoramity.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Aug '10 15:36
    Yes and it's deliberately along the lines you and marauder like.
    But they had one crappy little oversight, and now you two clowns want to crucify them.
    You seem to be simply against people disagreeing with you. Not exactly compelling. You haven't made a real point yet - except something rather illiterate involving the word "hypocrite".