Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Mar '17 21:30
    Some men here have been making much noise about how women always
    should
    have the right to refuse to wear a head scarf. Some of these men also
    like to act as though it must be extremely demeaning for a Muslim woman
    to wear a head scarf, though it's fine for a non-Muslim woman to wear one for fashion.

An American Catholic high school has published a dress code for its 2017 prom.
    That code goes into much more detail about requirements for girls than for boys.

https://www.boylan.org/downloads/documents/PROM2017DRESSGUIDELINES.pdf

"Dress Code Expectations
    Boylan Catholic High School dances are an event, which reflects the
    philosophy of our school and the teachings of the Catholic Church.
    Among our most important considerations is adherence to Church
    teachings regarding modesty. Dress code regulations must be followed
    by all students attending – current Boylan students and off-campus guests.
    Guidelines will be strictly enforced. Students, including guests, not in
    compliance with Dress Code will not be admitted to the dance and
    refunds will not be issued. There will NOT be a loaner clothing option."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4293424/Prom-dress-guidelines-lead-body-shaming-accusation.html

"Illinois Catholic school sparks outrage after publishing a 20-PAGE
    dress code for prom that claims some girls can wear styles that others
    can't because of their different body types."

"An Illinois Catholic high school is being accused of sexism and body shaming
    after releasing guidelines on how students should dress for the prom.

Boylan Catholic High School in Rockford has issued a 21-page rule
    book — complete with pictures — on what is and isn't acceptable to
    wear at this year's big dance, but there are more rules for some
    students than others.

In addition to having a much longer list of restrictions for 'ladies' than
    'gentlemen', the guidelines also say that some ladies can get away with
    wearing things that others cannot due to their body types."

"One line causing particular fury reads: 'Some girls may wear the same dress
    but due to body types, one dress may be acceptable while the other is not.'
    And while the young men are only given four examples of acceptable
    attire — and no 'don'ts —the young women are provided with several
    pages of photo examples of acceptable dresses and necklines, as well
    as not-acceptable ones."

Obviously, this American Catholic school puts much more effort into regulating
    and policing what's worn by its female student than by its male students.

To what extent should female students or guests (some of whom may not be Catholic)
    be free to choose to wear whatever they like? Such as a head scarf?
  2. 08 Mar '17 21:37
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Obviously, this American Catholic school puts much more effort into regulating
    and policing what's worn by its female student than by its male students.

To what extent should female students or guests (some of whom may not be Catholic)
    I would say there are good reasons why women's dress codes tend to be regulated more strictly. Of course I see no good reason for stopping anyone from wearing a head scarf.
    It is a fact that women and men in different attires are perceived differently. There are also significant differences in how likely the two sexes are to wear certain types of clothes. For example regulating heel height for boys is rarely a concern.
  3. 08 Mar '17 21:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would say there are good reasons why women's dress codes tend to be regulated more strictly.
    Of course I see no good reason for stopping anyone from wearing a head scarf.
    It is a fact that women and men in different attires are perceived differently.
    There are also significant differences in how likely the two sexes are to wear certain types of clothes.
    For example regulating heel height for boys is rarely a concern.
    What are these 'good reasons' for 'regulating more strictly' female dress codes?
  4. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    08 Mar '17 23:00 / 4 edits
    should
    to wear a head scarf, though it's fine for a non-Muslim woman to wear one for fashion.

An American Catholic high school has published ...[text shortened]... whom may not be Catholic)
    That code goes into much more detail about requirements for girls than for boys.

Ok, The dress code is more detailed for girls. So, what are supposed to do about this? I'll write to the Pope if you'd like, or perhaps the local bishop and see if they will change that male chauvinistic dress code to suit you. If they won't, I suppose you'll have to suffer through another (white) male dominated Holocaust, of which you'll continue to remind us of.
  5. 08 Mar '17 23:15 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by mchill

Ok, The dress code is more detailed for girls. So, what are supposed to do about this? I'll write to the Pope if you'd like, or perhaps the local bishop and see if they will change that male c ...[text shortened]... another (white) male dominated Holocaust, of which you'll continue to remind us of.
    The hypocritical censorious troll Mchill has a long record of objecting to my creating threads at RHP.

Shavixmir has condemned a similar abusive objection by the troll Mchill in a recent thread.
    "I'm pretty certain there's a rational debate to be held about the OP.
    Why all the hostility? If you don't like the topic, just refrain from reading and ruining it with obnoxiousness."
    --Shavixmir (22 February 2017, "Iranian Woman Banned from Chess for Not Wearing Hijab Outside Iran" )
  6. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    08 Mar '17 23:18 / 1 edit
    The hypocritical censorious troll Mchill has a long record of objecting to my creating threads at RHP.

Shavixmir has criticized a similar objection by the troll Mchill in a recent thread.
    "I'm pretty certain there's a rational debate to be held about the OP.
    Why all the hostility? If you don't like the topic, just refrain from reading and ruining it ...[text shortened]... vixmir (22 February 2017, "Iranian Woman Banned from Chess for Not Wearing Hijab Outside Iran" )
    What can I say Duchess? It seems the whole wide world is against you. Oh, the injustice of it all!!
  7. 08 Mar '17 23:25 / 1 edit
    What can I say Duchess? It seems the whole wide world is against you. Oh, the injustice of it all!!
    The lying troll Mchill likes to act as though everyone else must be as abusive and racist as he.
    In fact, the only other abusive trolls who supported him earlier were Eladar and Kquinn909, other racist white American men.

Mchill presumably hopes that President Trump will soon liberate white men from being
    the most oppressed people (as Mchill has claimed or implied) in the USA today.
  8. 08 Mar '17 23:53
    Looking at the photos of this Catholic school's acceptable and unacceptable attire for girls,
    I would say that many of the differences seem minor. That makes one wonder why this
    school would go to such detailed lengths about only its female students' fashion choices.

If a girl wore a dress that's a bit too short, for instance, what would be the 'dreadful consequences'?
    Would the 'young gentlemen' be unable to control themselves, leading to a riot on the dance floor?
  9. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    09 Mar '17 01:17
    The lying troll Mchill likes to act as though everyone else must be as abusive and racist as he.
    In fact, the only other abusive trolls who supported him earlier were Eladar and Kquinn909, other racist white American men.

Mchill presumably hopes that President Trump will soon liberate white men from being
    the most oppressed people (as Mchill has claimed or implied) in the USA today.
    Mchill presumably hopes that President Trump will soon liberate white men

Earth to Duchess: Mchill is a left leaning Independent who voted for Hillary Clinton, even though she did an amazingly stupid thing with her emails. I'd also like to point our that Donald Trump is not capable of liberating much of anything. It would be nice if you got it right once in awhile.
  10. 09 Mar '17 01:23 / 1 edit
    Mchill presumably hopes that President Trump will soon liberate white men

Earth to Duchess: Mchill is a left leaning Independent who voted for Hillary Clinton, even though she did an amazingly stupid thing with her emails. I'd also like to point our that Donald Trump is not capable of liberating much of anything. It would be nice if you got it right once in awhile.
    The disingenuous Mchill prefers to ignore the fact that he urged all Americans to give
    President Trump at least 'a year' to enact all his policies and follow his vision for the USA.
    I know that some other writers can remember Mchill writing that.

I never wrote that Mchill voted for Donald Trump. My point was that Mchill apparently does
    (or did) *not* believe that President Trump's *all bad* because President Trump seems
    sympathetic to Mchill's sense of racial grievance as an 'oppressed' white man in the USA.
    Some other writers (e.g. Suzianne) have ridiculed Mchill's claim of being 'left-leaning'.
  11. 09 Mar '17 01:50 / 1 edit
    should

An American Catholic high school has published ...[text shortened]... whom may not be Catholic)
    One cannot account for good fashion sense. Still there is no harm in trying If you need any fashion advice Duchess64 just ask.
  12. 09 Mar '17 02:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    One cannot account for good fashion sense. Still there is no harm in trying If you need any fashion advice Duchess64 just ask.
    I don't care about what girls choose to wear at their American Catholic high school.
    I don't see the 'moral decay' of civilization if a girl shows 'too much' leg or cleavage.
  13. 09 Mar '17 03:38 / 3 edits
    I don't care about what girls choose to wear at their American Catholic high school.
    I don't see the 'moral decay' of civilization if a girl shows 'too much' leg or cleavage.
    You cared enough about it to cite an article on it and that from the Daily Mail as well, a tabloid with more bums and boobs than a lesbian Mardi Gras parade. Ironic all things considered. The school has every right to ask its male and female students to dress modestly and with good taste. Why this should be objectionable I cannot say.
  14. 09 Mar '17 06:12
    should

At my "prom" late last year (it is called "matric ball" here) there was no dress code given for the boys or girls, but some girls came in REALLY risqué "clothes". Some were barely covered in any of the appropriate areas.

I think it is because guys wear suits which are always pretty appropriate, while dresses can vary so much.

Obviously the same standards must be applied to all female students, and not based on body type.
  15. 09 Mar '17 06:13 / 1 edit
    The school will care because of reputation. Not that I do but there is nothing we can do to stop them doing it as long as religion is a justification.