Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    21 Dec '11 14:01
    Should drug addiction be treated as a health condition, and not a life sentence? Should drug addicts be sent to treatment, and not to jail, for illegitemately needed offences, in that drug addiction be part of mainstream health care, and its cost less of a burden to society and taxes, opposed to the cost of Jail internment?

-m.
  2. 21 Dec '11 14:29
    Of course drug addiction treatment should be part of universal health care.
  3. 22 Dec '11 04:06
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Should drug addiction be treated as a health condition, and not a life sentence? Should drug addicts be sent to treatment, and not to jail, for illegitemately needed offences, in that drug addiction be part of mainstream health care, and its cost less of a burden to society and taxes, opposed to the cost of Jail internment?

-m.
    Is it going to cost me money? Wouldn't it be better if we just built work camps for these people so they could be reformed and be productive?
  4. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    22 Dec '11 04:51
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Is it going to cost me money? Wouldn't it be better if we just built work camps for these people so they could be reformed and be productive?
    http://www.beckleyfoundation.org/pdf/BF_Report_16.pdf

Seems in Asia, they are already doing this and this report, although it doesn't give facts about China, does about Thailand where 58% of inmates are in for drug offences. It seems over 50% of US federal prisoners are in for drug violations, but are simply slammed away. The majority being African-Americans and Hispanics!!

Camps are a lot cheaper to build than high-tech prisons, so in principle I quite like your idea.

-m.
  5. 22 Dec '11 05:57
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://www.beckleyfoundation.org/pdf/BF_Report_16.pdf

Seems in Asia, they are already doing this and this report, although it doesn't give facts about China, does about Thailand where 58% of inmates are in for drug offences. It seems over 50% of US federal prisoners are in for drug violations, but are simply slammed away. The majority being African-Americ ...[text shortened]... lot cheaper to build than high-tech prisons, so in principle I quite like your idea.

-m.
    We should put signs over the entrance to remind these people why they are there and what they can do to get out, "Work will make you free!"
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Dec '11 07:13
    We should put signs over the entrance to remind these people why they are there and what they can do to get out, "Work will make you free!"
    Typical. Right-wing. Moronic.
  7. 22 Dec '11 08:06
    Slavery is your solution? I thought you liked the 14th amendment. Oh, that's right. The 14th amendment allows slavery of criminals. Our country never abolished slavery at all.

Portugal has had success with their policy of decriminalizing drugs. Make an effort to learn something.

http://drugpolicy.ca/2011/12/sir-richard-branson-time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs/
  8. 22 Dec '11 10:05
    Isn't it a fact that among all countries in the world, the higest imprisonment in percent of its population, USA is number one?

If there are strong forces in USA to imprison drug addicts too, and they succeed with their intentions, then this percentage will raise from a high to an even higher high.

Something must be very wrong in USA. Some kind of systematic error of thinking from the beginning and up.

Please explain to me...
  9. 22 Dec '11 10:30
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Typical. Right-wing. Moronic.
    I dont think you get the bitter irony and political satire of TJ's posts.
  10. 22 Dec '11 10:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Isn't it a fact that among all countries in the world, the higest imprisonment in percent of its population, USA is number one?

If there are strong forces in USA to imprison drug addicts too, and they succeed with their intentions, then this percentage will raise from a high to an even higher high.

Something must be very wrong in USA. Some kind of systematic error of thinking from the beginning and up.

Please explain to me...
    Please explain to me...

Its within the owners of the prisons interests to have lots of prisoners, its within the
    drug cartels interests to have lots of addicts, its a mutual appreciation society.
  11. 22 Dec '11 10:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Please explain to me...

Its within the owners of the prisons interests to have lots of prisoners, its within the
    drug cartels interests to have lots of addicts, its a mutual appreciation society.
    The higher percentage of the population in prison, the better for the country? Is this your explanation?
  12. 22 Dec '11 13:25 / 1 edit
    I dont think you get the bitter irony and political satire of TJ's posts.
    He's apparently never had his leg chewed by a real terrier. He may need a ticket to a re-education camp!

I suggest watching this: http://animal.discovery.com/tv/puppy-bowl/
  13. 22 Dec '11 13:28
    Please explain to me...

Not to mention all the cash to be made pushing an endless merry-go-round of prescription drugs! Keep profits high! If drugs were legal, only the criminals would profit from them.
  14. 22 Dec '11 14:07
    Please explain to me...

simple,

$$$$$$$$$$$
  15. 22 Dec '11 14:11
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Slavery is your solution? I thought you liked the 14th amendment. Oh, that's right. The 14th amendment allows slavery of criminals. Our country never abolished slavery at all.

Portugal has had success with their policy of decriminalizing drugs. Make an effort to learn something.

http://drugpolicy.ca/2011/12/sir-richard-branson-time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs/
    Ron Paul already told me repealing the 14th amendment will solve this problem. Make an effort to stop thinking!