Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Dec '10 16:36
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/12/26/netherlands.arrests/index.html

Okay, assuming the arrests were based on sound evidence (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), this question is directed to those among us who maintain that western behavior is responsible (or at least largely responsible) for terrorist attacks against the west.

The question is:

Specifically what dastardly crime are the Dutch guilty of that made them vulnerable to this attack?

Now, there's no need for anyone to respond "Show me where I said that..." Those of you who have said or implied such thing know who you are. If nobody responds, then I will assume that nobody who reads this thread agrees with the statement that "western behavior is responsible (or at least largely responsible) for terrorist attacks against the west." That would, of course, make me quite happy and relieved as well.
  2. 26 Dec '10 16:39
    Of course I can only make guesses as to motives of these people, but maybe the Dutch involvement in Afghanistan ? Personally I'm not that opposed to it, but I guess it rubs quite a few extremist Muslims the wrong way.
  3. 26 Dec '10 17:24 / 1 edit
    Terrorists are responsible for terrorist acts.

As for their motivations, I guess it's a combination of involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as a general anti-Western sentiment and perhaps increasing xenophobia in the Netherlands. And also being a bunch of losers who can't get laid.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 18:23
    Originally posted by sh76

Okay, assuming the arrests were based on sound evidence (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), this question is directed to those among us who maintain that western behavior is responsible (or at least largely responsible) for terrorist attacks against the west.

The question i ...[text shortened]... attacks against the west." That would, of course, make me quite happy and relieved as well.
    Do you always just assume that every arrest is based on "sound evidence" or that the burden of proof is on the defendant to show that it wasn't?

Of course, the terrorists just hate freedom as GW said.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 18:30
    Originally posted by sh76

The question i ...[text shortened]... attacks against the west." That would, of course, make me quite happy and relieved as well.
    Sounds like an open and shut case:

No weapons or explosives were found, he said. The suspects are in police custody.

"The attack was said to be imminent so the national police started an investigation which led to the arrest of 12 Somalis later on Friday in Rotterdam," de Bruin said. "We are not sure about what the target was, how they were going to carry out the attack or when."

http://prairiepundit.blogspot.com/2010/12/12-somalis-arrested-in-dutch-terror.html
  6. 26 Dec '10 18:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sounds like an open and shut case:

No weapons or explosives were found, he said. The suspects are in police custody.

"The attack was said to be imminent so the national police started an investigation which led to the arrest of 12 Somalis later on Friday in Rotterdam," de Bruin said. [b]"We are not sure about what the target was, ho ...[text shortened]... ."

http://prairiepundit.blogspot.com/2010/12/12-somalis-arrested-in-dutch-terror.html[/b]
    Possibly. If they find evidence of a plot they can still be tried.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 18:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Possibly. If they find evidence of a plot they can still be tried.
    A $1 says they'll be held on some type of immigration charges.

Euros have funny laws; I've read in many countries across the pond you can be held in jail for 28 days without charges being filed. Is that true in the Netherlands?
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 18:45
    More indications of just how solid the case is:

Asked how serious the threat was, a senior prosecutor said the intelligence tip warranted action. "It's uncertain whether we escaped from an attack. What we did is take away the threat that was formed by these people," Gerrit van der Burg said on NOS television.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10696682
  9. 26 Dec '10 18:47
    A $1 says they'll be held on some type of immigration charges.

Euros have funny laws; I've read in many countries across the pond you can be held in jail for 28 days without charges being filed. Is that true in the Netherlands?
    I don't know. First of all I suspect many of these Somalians are Dutch nationals, but my guess is there is some exception for terrorism that gives the judiciary some leniancy in filing charges.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 18:49
    I don't know. First of all I suspect many of these Somalians are Dutch nationals, but my guess is there is some exception for terrorism that gives the judiciary some leniancy in filing charges.
    Well at least they'll be eventually entitled to a trial by a jury of their peers.

Wait a minute ...............................................
  11. 26 Dec '10 18:52
    Well at least they'll be eventually entitled to a trial by a jury of their peers.

Wait a minute ...............................................
    They're entitled to a fair trial.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 18:57
    They're entitled to a fair trial.
    With their fate to be decided by an official of the State.

Kinda like Joseph K.
  13. 26 Dec '10 19:03
    With their fate to be decided by an official of the State.

Kinda like Joseph K.
    At least you could have come up with an example of a miscarriage of justice, like Lucia de Berk.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '10 19:07
    At least you could have come up with an example of a miscarriage of justice, like Lucia de Berk.
    Joseph K is better because it is an example (fictional though it may be) of an absence of justice.
  15. 26 Dec '10 19:10
    Joseph K is better because it is an example (fictional though it may be) of an absence of justice.
    Like when that jury let OJ, a blatantly obvious murderer, walk free?