Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 15 May '09 20:35 / 1 edit
    Remember the .com bubble around 2000 -01, boo hoo, nasdaq etc...
    I got caught up in that , took this job at an on-line magazine for nightclubs, sounds cool, but alas we went bust in a 2 months..

    Still some of the companies like Boo got amazing values, before it burst. It wasn't that they made any money,
    Rather they might make a lot in a few years time. For some reason this made them extremely valuable.

    I was wondering if the current problems are a bit like this in reverse?

    The markets fell due to fear that they might make less in the future, rather than immediate problems?
    Seems nagging questions like power consumption, environment limit perspectives of growth. They'll be solved,
    but until it predictable enough how the markets don't know what to invest in?

    Just wondering
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    15 May '09 21:38
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess

    Seems nagging questions like power consumption, environment limit perspectives of growth. They'll be solved,
    Gee, I hope so.

    If you have a suggestion for how to do that, I'm all ears.

    If it works, I guarantee you a Nobel Prize (assuming they run out of washed up irrelevant left wing American politicians to give it to).
  3. 15 May '09 21:51
    yeah it's called a nuclear power plant
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    15 May '09 21:59
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess
    yeah it's called a nuclear power plant
    fission or fusion?

  5. 15 May '09 22:04
    during the US elections John Mc Cains website had a whole list of power sources across the top of his website... renewable, nuclear, clean coal

    Guess theses will be new industries .. I'm no expert in the stock market (and with my pension just candled, not to sure of its wisdom) but I guess it must be hard to plan investments for 20 years or so -purely to make money- with these shifts happening.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    15 May '09 22:10
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess
    during the US elections John Mc Cains website had a whole list of power sources across the top of his website... renewable, nuclear, clean coal

    Guess theses will be new industries .. I'm no expert in the stock market (and with my pension just candled, not to sure of its wisdom) but I guess it must be hard to plan investments for 20 years or so -purely to make money- with these shifts happening.
    Well, I hope so; but I'm skeptical.

    Wind and solar are inconsistent and expensive. Nuclear fission is dangerous and produces radioactive waste, and there's no such thing as "clean" coal; just "cleaner" coal.

    Hopefully there will be advances in clean and renewable energy technology (the best chance for which, of course, is through free market forces).
  7. 15 May '09 22:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    Well, I hope so; but I'm skeptical.

    Wind and solar are inconsistent and expensive. Nuclear fission is dangerous and produces radioactive waste, and there's no such thing as "clean" coal; just "cleaner" coal.

    Hopefully there will be advances in clean and renewable energy technology (the best chance for which, of course, is through free market forces).
    I don't want to sound conspiratorial, but think the interests oil & related companies are a constraint - They control a lot of the economy and no one in a petrol company wants an electric car. - but eventually it will be the only option
  8. 16 May '09 01:10 / 3 edits
    that sounds to pessimistic.

    sh76 agree there are no big alternatives yet. but maybe it because we don't have to use them? .. was thinking about Concorde
    it was an amazing plane & only about what 40 years old? ... but you wouldn't think of building one right now... but back then cost of gas vs flying across the Atlantic in few hours was worth it. We still can but the efficiency is a bigger concern.. people buy anything with green on it and the best technologies will prevail.

    I hope we're heading for a green bubble in a way where lots gets invested in these technologies .. n it will probably burst when people get greedy n start selling any crap that has a solar panel on it .. but hopefully we will have better infrastructure from it too.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 May '09 01:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    If it works, I guarantee you a Nobel Prize (assuming they run out of washed up irrelevant left wing American politicians to give it to).
    This being an international web site, may I ask what do you mean by "left" and who is the "left wing American politician" you're referring to?

    It couldn't possibly be Al Gore - why would you rinse all meaning out of the word "left" in this way?
  10. 16 May '09 09:34
    Al Gore? Isn't he married to that fascist woman who tried to control what teenagers listen to in the 80s but ended up promoting the records she disliked*?

    Yep, quite the lefty treehugger.

    *) Culminating in the utterly absurd appearance of a "parental advisory" sticker on an instrumental Zappa album.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 May '09 01:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    This being an international web site, may I ask what do you mean by "left" and who is the "left wing American politician" you're referring to?

    It couldn't possibly be Al Gore - why would you rinse all meaning out of the word "left" in this way?
    I was referring to Jimmy Carter and Al Gore.

    For those who may not know, "left" just means the liberal side of American politics.

    This may surprise you, but I used to like Al Gore. I voted for him for President in 2000. I am annoyed at him now, though. He preaches and whines and moans about global warming, but when push comes to shove; what does he do? He runs up a $12,000 utilities monthly bill for his mansion. Where could he make the most difference in curtailing global warming? From the White House. But, when he had the chance to run for President in 2008, which he very well could have won (people don't remember this, but in mid 2007, Obama was little more than an afterthought in the Dem race; it was Hillary who was the titan), what does he do? Nothing. He doesn't even get in the race. I saw an Inconvenient Truth, and was generally impressed by it. But, WTF was that nonsense about putting 3 minutes about the 2000 election to start the movie??? I get the feeling that Gore is more about self-aggrandizement at this point than about effecting any real changes.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    17 May '09 01:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I was referring to Jimmy Carter and Al Gore. For those who may not know, "left" just means the liberal side of American politics.
    Internationally speaking, Carter and Gore were right wing figures, of course.

    "For those who may not know, "left" just means the liberal side of American politics."

    It's not a case of "not knowing", it's just the tendency for Americans here to 'talk among themselves' with the distortion of the world language attendant thereto.
  13. 17 May '09 03:03
    Originally posted by Black Star Uchess
    I don't want to sound conspiratorial, but think the interests oil & related companies are a constraint - They control a lot of the economy and no one in a petrol company wants an electric car. - but eventually it will be the only option
    Have you seen the Tesla roadster? The technology for electric is here. The specs on this car puts GMs electric cars to shame.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 May '09 04:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    Internationally speaking, Carter and Gore were right wing figures, of course.
    Really? That's very interesting.

    In what way?

    (a question- not a challenge)
  15. 17 May '09 04:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Really? That's very interesting.

    In what way?

    (a question- not a challenge)
    The battery technology is key. They convert dc to ac and use an ac induction motor for speed control. Very efficient. I don't remember what the exact specs are now but I think that for speed and accerleration it only is second place to any car. I don't remember what was first. Also as I remember they are getting a lot of miles per charge. The gm product or test didn't compare. Looks good too.