Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Nov '16 20:41
    Let's look at how the vote in the US is described by the media:

Trump - Uneducated White vote

Hillary - Educated Whites, Blacks and Hispanics.

My question is why are the Whites the only ones that are described as educated and uneducated?

If you look at the Hispanic vote and the Black vote it seems to me that there are a lot of voters who do not have a college degree. I'd say it is likely most don't have college degrees. So why is it that only the whites get to be called uneducated?
  2. 09 Nov '16 21:17
    The educated blacks and Hispanics also vote Democratic, hence there is no need to make the distinction; for instance, the media also don't distinguish between Darryls and Billy-Bobs who vote Trump.
  3. 09 Nov '16 21:25
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The educated blacks and Hispanics also vote Democratic, hence there is no need to make the distinction; for instance, the media also don't distinguish between Darryls and Billy-Bobs who vote Trump.
    I'm not sure they do at the same rates.

In any case it seems that if you do for the one you should do for the others. Actually have the numbers for the different groups for all the races.
  4. 09 Nov '16 21:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Let's look at how the vote in the US is described by the media:

Trump - Uneducated White vote

Hillary - Educated Whites, Blacks and Hispanics.

My question is why are the Whites the only ones that are described as educated and uneducated?

If you look at the Hispanic vote and the Black vote it seems to me that there are a lot of voters who do not ha ...[text shortened]... most don't have college degrees. So why is it that only the whites get to be called uneducated?
    Asian Americans are more educated on average than white Americans.
    But, apparently according to the mainstream US media, Asian Americans don't vote or
    at least the media does not bother to cover their choices or concerns.
  5. 09 Nov '16 21:45
    I'm not sure they do at the same rates.

In any case it seems that if you do for the one you should do for the others. Actually have the numbers for the different groups for all the races.
    Go ahead and conduct the polls - no one is stopping you.

For what it's worth, if any pollster or government official asks me my "race" I wouldn't give them any of the predefined categories. No government has ever asked me my "race" and I think it's very weird Americans put up with the government nosing about this private matter.
  6. 10 Nov '16 00:50

For what it's worth, if any pollster or government official asks me my "race" I wouldn't give them any of the predefined categories. No government has ever asked me my "race" and I think it's very weird Americans put up with the government nosing about this private matter.
    I don't have the resources to conduct the polls. I am just pointing out the obvious attempt at misrepresenting those who vote for different groups.

I am positive that blacks with college degrees vote Republican at a higher rate tha those blacks without.
  7. 10 Nov '16 01:41

Enforcing laws that ensure equal treatment requires keeping track of the ways and criteria by which people violate those rights. When you consider the way that the "peculiar institution" affected US history, it isn't so weird.
  8. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    10 Nov '16 01:47
    I tink edication is over rated.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Nov '16 02:13
    I don't have the resources to conduct the polls. I am just pointing out the obvious attempt at misrepresenting those who vote for different groups.

I am positive that blacks with college degrees vote Republican at a higher rate tha those blacks without.
    Let's say you conduct a poll with a 1000 respondents (a typical one). Blacks are about 13% of the population, so you want about 130 in the sample group. This naturally increases the margin of error but not so much that you don't have useful data.

20% or so of Blacks have college degrees. of that sample then, you'd need 26 black college graduates. But the margin of error for that small of a sample would be so large that the results wouldn't be reliable. Therefore, while you can find those numbers if you go into the actual polling results, they are not commonly reported in the news because they are statistically useless; you wouldn't take a poll seriously that had only 26 respondents nationwide.

Hope that helps.
  10. 10 Nov '16 02:26
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Let's say you conduct a poll with a 1000 respondents (a typical one). Blacks are about 13% of the population, so you want about 130 in the sample group. This naturally increases the margin of error but not so much that you don't have useful data.

20% or so of Blacks have college degrees. of that sample then, you'd need 26 black college graduates. But ...[text shortened]... you wouldn't take a poll seriously that had only 26 respondents nationwide.

Hope that helps.
    Yea blah blah blah. If they can do it for whites it can be done for all racial groups.
  11. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    10 Nov '16 02:33 / 2 edits
    Yea blah blah blah. If they can do it for whites it can be done for all racial groups.
    CNN did just that on their website, using exit polls. Breakdowns of a 24537-voter sample group were given in all sorts of combinations, right down to black/female/educated and asian/male/45+ and white/religious/LGBT. I worked my way through all the combinations and they were almost all either inconclusive or supporting the stereotype.

http://edition.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls/national/president
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Nov '16 02:33
    Well thanks for listening.
  13. 10 Nov '16 02:35
    All Hispanics and blacks vote Dim?

Not so.
  14. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    10 Nov '16 02:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    All Hispanics and blacks vote Dim?

Not so.
    can't you spell Democrat?
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Nov '16 02:39
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    CNN did just that on their website, using exit polls. Breakdowns of a 24537-voter sample group were given in all sorts of combinations, right down to black/female/educated and asian/male/45+ and white/religious/LGBT. I worked my way through all the combinations and they were almost all either inconclusive or supporting the stereotype.
    Actually you're right; here's the link: http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

Trump won white non-college grads by 39% and white college grads by only 4%. By contrast Hillary won both non-white educational groups by wide margins, non-college grads by 55% and college grads by 48%.