Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 04 Jan '10 15:41
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8438852.stm

    Do any of the Americans here know what this is about?
    Is it a resurgence of the racist south?
    Is it a strain of Islamic extremism in Georgia?
    Is it a rebuke/endorsement of Jimmy Carter?
    Will there be an aftermath?
    Does it matter?
  2. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    04 Jan '10 15:59 / 1 edit
    Palin effigy hung.
    http://cbs2.com/local/Palin.Effigy.Secret.2.850996.html

    The ugly side of free speech.

    LOL- there's a Sarah Palin ad at the top of my RHP page right now soliciting for her PAC 'Fighting for what's right!'.

    What a coininkydink!
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Jan '10 16:00
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8438852.stm

    Do any of the Americans here know what this is about?
    Is it a resurgence of the racist south?
    Is it a strain of Islamic extremism in Georgia?
    Is it a rebuke/endorsement of Jimmy Carter?
    Will there be an aftermath?
    Does it matter?
    I'd love for you to show me a recent US President that has NOT been hung in effigy (or burned in effigy, etc.) at one point or another.

    Check out this headline for irony:

    http://jonathanturley.org/2008/10/31/bush-arrested-for-hanging-obama-in-effigy/
  4. 04 Jan '10 16:09
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8438852.stm

    Do any of the Americans here know what this is about?
    Is it a resurgence of the racist south?
    Is it a strain of Islamic extremism in Georgia?
    Is it a rebuke/endorsement of Jimmy Carter?
    Will there be an aftermath?
    Does it matter?
    This is some idiot who did this overnight more than likely drunk.google,GW Bush effigy,and see what you get. I would hazzard to guess you could do this all the way back to Nixon and get a result for every President in between.
    Is it a resurgence of the racist south? C'mon man!Be for real! People do stuff like this all the time when they dont like the President despite his skin color
  5. 04 Jan '10 16:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'd love for you to show me a recent US President that has NOT been hung in effigy (or burned in effigy, etc.) at one point or another.

    Check out this headline for irony:

    http://jonathanturley.org/2008/10/31/bush-arrested-for-hanging-obama-in-effigy/
    I'd forgotten about those. I just thought that it was maybe extremists in the middle east who done it. Has there ever been a hanging effigy of a sitting president on US soil before though? Or is this the first?
  6. 04 Jan '10 16:11
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    This is some idiot who did this overnight more than likely drunk.google,GW Bush effigy,and see what you get. I would hazzard to guess you could do this all the way back to Nixon and get a result for every President in between.
    Is it a resurgence of the racist south? C'mon man!Be for real! People do stuff like this all the time when they dont like the President despite his skin color
    The questions were intended to be a wee bit tongue in cheek!
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Jan '10 16:14
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    The questions were intended to be a wee bit tongue in cheek!
    That makes your tongue a concealed weapon.
  8. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    04 Jan '10 16:14
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    I'd forgotten about those. I just thought that it was maybe extremists in the middle east who done it. Has there ever been a hanging effigy of a sitting president on US soil before though? Or is this the first?
    Middle East extremists in Carter's hometown pop. 700?
    Impossible? Almost.

    That's the bane and the beauty of small towns. Everybody knows everbody.
    I'd hazard a guess that the identity of the perpe'traitor' will be made public by the end of the week.
  9. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    04 Jan '10 16:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    That makes your tongue a concealed weapon.
    May I see your license and registration please, Mr. Snapper?
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    04 Jan '10 16:17
    Someone could make a mint by trademarking US President piñatas.
  11. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    04 Jan '10 16:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Someone could make a mint by trademarking US President piñatas.
    Would the pinatas be filled with mints?

    http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/political-pinatas-obama-hillary-bush
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Jan '10 16:24
    Originally posted by monster truck
    May I see your license and registration please, Mr. Snapper?
    Ah. I see this Irony Permit is not valid for international use. Step away from the PC, sir.
  13. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    04 Jan '10 16:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ah. I see this Irony Permit is not valid for international use. Step away from the PC, sir.
    Did you just call me PC?

    Nothing could be further from the truth.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Jan '10 16:26
    Originally posted by monster truck
    Would the pinatas be filled with mints?
    Well done monster truck. I was just going to shout, someone put their hand over Fuzzy Zoeller's mouth.
  15. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    04 Jan '10 16:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well done monster truck. I was just going to shout, someone put their hand over Fuzzy Zoeller's mouth.
    I didn't even have to duck for that one. Thanks.