Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 21:573 edits
    A book about the bias against women in STEM fields of science, the hard sciences.

This is a discussion that should have happened 50 years ago. This bias is wasting the minds of some of the smartest women on the planet in a time when we need all the intelligence we can get.

I heard her interviewed on Canada 1, one of or the first woman to graduate from Yale in the sciences but was discouraged from her passion, astrophysics and doing that at Princeton.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23995384-the-only-woman-in-the-room

They only review the book on that site but she did a study about young female Phd's given money for a lab and found the average female scientist was given $350,000 to establish a lab. A nice sum of money for sure.

Then looking at their male counterparts, men in the same position, young Phd establishing a lab, the men got on average, $879,000.

A huge disparity for absolute sure.

One professor used the analogy of barrels, where the only barrel was full of young male Phd's and we need a lot of them but to get even close to what we need we start scrapping the bottom of the barrel and are getting the poorest of the crop instead of having several barrels.

One filled with women Phd's, another with minorities, and so forth and being able to pick and choose from ALL those barrels, getting the cream of the crop of a much larger population of young eager scientists who may happen to be black, Amerinds, women and also white males.

That sum of barrels is what we need in our society, we need all the top scientists we can get, otherwise other countries who DO realize that fact will do so and get a much brighter bunch of youngsters with freshly minted Phd's in the STEM subjects able to shake up the sciences with new discoveries.

That is how new discoveries are made and there are now older scientists and not that many youngsters filling in and taking over the new challenges of our hard reality in the 21st century.

There needs to be a national discussion about this lack of women in STEM subjects and the glass ceiling clearly visible in the US and other countries around the world.

It is high time we seriously address this urgent issue.

We need all the help we can get and to discourage young women from STEM subjects is unacceptable in our times.

I can't WAIT till the misogynistic crowd starts saying I am merely sucking up to the Duchess or some such rot. This is a real issue, not some political football.
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 22:41
    The one thing we don't want is young women learning motherhood and having her nurture her children so they have a decent chance of being mentally balanced human beings. Let have them do some titrating, and stoichiometric calculations intstead. Better yet the young women can sit around doing fibonacci sequences and designing a better bra support. This will have a much better impact on society than the family.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 22:532 edits
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The one thing we don't want is young women learning motherhood and having her nurture her children so they have a decent chance of being mentally balanced human beings. Let have them do some titrating, and stoichiometric calculations intstead. Better yet the young women can sit around doing fibonacci sequences and designing a better bra support. This will have a much better impact on society than the family.
    So the first of they misogynists reply. I expected nothing less.

So you would force a brilliant young woman to go barefoot and pregnant all her life even though she could be the force discovering a cure for cancer or a new fiber a thousand times stronger than steel used to build the first space elevator, just bringing up random ways a brilliant woman could further mankind's lot.

What a BITCH, actually wanting to use her mind for something besides as a sex object.

You do realize there are way too many people on the planet, right? So I gather for you, a woman doing something other than being a baby factory should be put in prison where she can be forced to have babies for 20 years, that prison being in the house where she is under the ever watchful eye of her paranoid jealous husband.

That is not a rhetorical comment, that is a real situation of a friend of ours, married early on to a real bastard who forced this woman to go to bed naked every night and ended up having a dozen children and suffered decades of abuse but all she ever wanted to be was an opera singer, she had the pipes and the talent but was forced down to the ground to please her husband's sexual hunger every night for literally decades till at last that bastard died and she was free, at the age of 70. Way too late for opera.

I guess that is the kind of prison you place YOUR women in, right?
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 23:111 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    A book about the bias against women in STEM fields of science, the hard sciences.

This is a discussion that should have happened 50 years ago. This bias is wasting the minds of some of the smartest women on the planet in a time when we need all the intelligence we can get.

I heard her interviewed on Canada 1, one of or the first woman to graduate from ...[text shortened]... y sucking up to the Duchess or some such rot. This is a real issue, not some political football.
    On 18 October 2015, I created the thread "The Only Woman in the Room (book)".
    Like another woman reviewer, I have some substantial criticisms of Eileen Pollack.

That thread (predictably?) led to more misogynistic abuse being hurled at me.
    Please read that thread to find these examples (of many):

"Go find a rope and hang yourself."
    --Normbenign (to Duchess64)

"You sh**head, I propose that you do violence to yourself."
    --Normbenign (to Duchess64)

Years ago, Sh76 criticized Normbenign's extremely abusive behavior:
    "The a-hole part (by Normbenign) was the threats of physical violence and tracking people down.
    That's something you never do on any internet message board, no matter what."
    --Sh76 (page 19, post 2, "Why Didn't the Police Investigate George Zimmerman?" )
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 23:14

So you would force a brilliant young woman to go barefoot and pregnant all her life even though she could be the force discovering a cure for cancer or a new fiber a thousand times stronger than steel used to build the first space elevator, just bringing up random ways a brilliant woman cou ...[text shortened]... 0. Way too late for opera.

Raising the family is the most honorable thing a woman can do. Society would be better off as well as the future generations. You are trying to put women into a category that fits you. Shame on you. Women get this honor and men don't. It is all how you look at things Sonhouse. If the family unit was healthy there would be much less disrespect toward women. Your ideas value the family less which contributes to the problem. Usually statists value family less than the economical value the individuals in a family represent.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 23:16
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Like another woman reviewer, I have some substantial criticisms of Eileen Pollack.

--Normbenign (t ...[text shortened]... matter what."
    --Sh76 (page 19, post 2, "Why Didn't the Police Investigate George Zimmerman?" )
    Were the criticisms about her personally or about her book? What were your criticisms?

Do you think she does not have a point that women are discriminated against in STEM subjects?
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 23:23

--Normbenign (t ...[text shortened]... matter what."
    so what you are saying is that this is not a worthy discussion and we should again make it about you. or maybe by making it about you, we are advancing towards a solution to this problem?

do tell.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 23:373 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so what you are saying is that this is not a worthy discussion and we should again
    make it about you. or maybe by making it about you, we are advancing towards a solution to this problem?

do tell.
    Zahlanzi has a long record of putting his words into my mouth.

I have no objection to Sonhouse creating another thread about the subject that I created
    a thread about earlier. But Sonhouse seemed completely ignorant of that thread's existence,
    and I thought it would be helpful (though he might be too lazy) for him to read that thread first.

Does Zahlanzi have any objection to the personal abuse that Normbenign (his rape
    apologist ally whom he has been supporting against me) hurled against me?
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 23:401 edit
    Were the criticisms about her personally or about her book? What were your criticisms?
    Do you think she does not have a point that women are discriminated against in STEM subjects?
    I am not going to waste my time reiterating what I wrote in the earlier thread.
    I have pointed out its existence because you (Sonhouse) might find it helpful to read it.
    But if you are too lazy and prefer to remain ignorant, then that's your choice.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 00:00
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Raising the family is the most honorable thing a woman can do. Society would be better off as well as the future generations. You are trying to put women into a category that fits you. Shame on you. Women get this honor and men don't. It is all how you look at things Sonhouse. If the family unit was healthy there would be much less disrespect toward women ...[text shortened]... ally statists value family less than the economical value the individuals in a family represent.
    "Raising the family is the most honorable thing a woman can do"
    that's what a mysoginist would say.

"Society would be better off as well as the future generations"
    where women would again be sent to raise a family while men would be free to do whatever? and continue to perpetuate this forever?

"You are trying to put women into a category that fits you"
    no, that's what you are doing. he is trying to allow each woman to choose what category she wants to be in.

"Women get this honor and men don't. "
    heh how noble of you to force them to have this honor. perhaps a woman doesn't want children, have you thought about that? perhaps a man would like to raise the children while the woman has a career.

"If the family unit was healthy there would be much less disrespect toward women."
    kind of like what you are showing right now
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 00:02

I have no objection to Sonhouse creating another thread about the subject that I created
    a thread about earlier. But Sonhouse seemed completely ignorant of that thread's existence,
    and I thought it would be helpful (though he might be too lazy) for him to read that thread first.

Does Z ...[text shortened]... Normbenign (his rape
    your first post, not even on the second page of the thread and you are complaining about how badly you were treated some months ago. with quotes that have nothing to do with the topic but you. you , you, you.

how is this not begging for attention?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 00:28

Does Z ...[text shortened]... Normbenign (his rape
    I will read it if I can find it. How far back in time is it? I AM completely ignorant about your post on the subject. Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 00:351 edit
    I will read it if I can find it. How far back in time is it?
    I AM completely ignorant about your post on the subject.
    Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here.
    Sonhouse, can you read *at all*? Really? The evidence suggests otherwise.

"How far back in time is it?"
    --Sonhouse

I *already* wrote that I created a thread (not just a post) on 18 October 2015.
    You (Sonhouse) claim to be an engineer (I think) of some distinction, but you like to act
    as though you are completely unable to look up the simplest things in the RHP forums.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 00:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Joe Beyser

So you would force a brilliant young woman to go barefoot and pregnant all her life even though she could be the force discovering a cure for cancer or a new fiber a thousand times stronger than steel used to build the first space elevator, just bringing up random ways a brill ...[text shortened]... 0. Way too late for opera.

"Way too late for opera."
    --Sonhouse

Too late to start training, but Kyra Vance recorded a CD when she was 81 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyra_Vance
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 00:42
    Originally posted by joe beyser to Sonhouse
    Raising the family is the most honorable thing a woman can do. Society would be better off as well as the future generations. You are trying to put women into a category that fits you. Shame on you. Women get this honor and men don't. It is all how you look at things Sonhouse. If the family unit was healthy there would be much less disrespect ...[text shortened]... ally statists value family less than the economical value the individuals in a family represent.
    "Raising the family is the most honorable thing a woman can do."
    --Joe Beyser

It should be a woman's choice whether or not she accepts that 'honour'.
    Some women say that they regard it as a burden and prefer to remain 'child-free'.