Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19323
    13 Jun '18 06:36
    This raises a lot of questions.

    In China, the man who famously once described racism as “a disease of white people” describes the “industrious, filthy, obtuse people” he observes. He notes how the “Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods. All this occurs quietly and demurely. Even the children are spiritless and look obtuse.” After earlier writing of the “abundance of offspring” and the “fecundity” of the Chinese, he goes on to say: “It would be a pity if these Chinese supplant all other races. For the likes of us the mere thought is unspeakably dreary.”


    It makes me wonder if there are those among us who like to put forward this extremely progressive front but are secrelty hyper regressive racists who would like nothing better than to live in a gated community of their own kind.

    There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy and pathological lying out there.

    Does this change the way that you think of Einstein?
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    8800
    13 Jun '18 08:262 edits
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    This raises a lot of questions.

    [quote] In China, the man who famously once described racism as “a disease of white people” describes the “industrious, filthy, obtuse people” he observes. He notes how the “Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods. All this occurs quietly ...[text shortened]... ttps://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia
    I loved Roald Dahl's short stories when I was younger (especially the ones with a macabre twist, e.g the landlady) then I found out later that he was a vicious racist. I was very disappointed.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Jun '18 10:23
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    This raises a lot of questions.

    [quote] In China, the man who famously once described racism as “a disease of white people” describes the “industrious, filthy, obtuse people” he observes. He notes how the “Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods. All this occurs quietly ...[text shortened]... ttps://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia
    Actually, the modern Progressive is just as racist against Asians. They are snubbed at Universities all over the country despite having perfect or near perfect academic records. In Hollywood, name one famous Asian actor who is not a stereotypical karate guy, etc.

    FDR sure hated them as he locked up innocent Japanese Americans.

    I think it is those slanted eyes that evoke either distrust or disdain.
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Joined
    09 Oct '04
    Moves
    82196
    13 Jun '18 13:10
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Does this change the way that you think of Einstein?
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia ...
    No it just says that we've actually come a far way in under 100 years, so that while some people may still harbor Einsteins thoughts, most people would find his comments offensive today.

    Not everyone who thought in eugenic terms about the human race, wanted to kill off the races they deemed inferior. But they definitely held onto strong notions of the characteristics that differentiated people into an hierarchy of intellect, beauty, desirableness, character and noble virtue. And yet it must have seemed a pure coincidence that the specimens of humanity that scored the highest across all of these hierarchical categories, looked a lot like them. Go figure the probabilities....
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Jun '18 13:353 edits
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    No it just says that we've actually come a far way in under 100 years, so that while some people may still harbor Einsteins thoughts, most people would find his comments offensive today.

    Not everyone who thought in eugenic terms about the human race, wanted to kill off the races they deemed inferior. But they definitely held onto strong notions of the cha ...[text shortened]... ss all of these hierarchical categories, looked a lot like them. Go figure the probabilities....
    We have come along way, eh? Tell that to the unborn who are aborted by the millions and the fact that in no time in human history has there been so much slavery in the world.

    So tell us, what do you make of this Darwin quote?

    “With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health. We civilised men, on the other hand, do our utmost to check the process of elimination; we build asylums for the imbecile, the maimed, and the sick; we institute poor-laws; and our medical men exert their utmost skill to save the life of every one to the last moment. There is reason to believe that vaccination has preserved thousands, who from a weak constitution would formerly have succumbed to small-pox. Thus the weak members of civilised societies propagate their kind. No one who has attended to the breeding of domestic animals will doubt that this must be highly injurious to the race of man. It is surprising how soon a want of care, or care wrongly directed, leads to the degeneration of a domestic race; but excepting in the case of man himself, hardly any one is so ignorant as to allow his worst animals to breed

    The aid which we feel impelled to give to the helpless is mainly an incidental result of the instinct of sympathy, which was originally acquired as part of the social instincts, but subsequently rendered, in the manner previously indicated, more tender and more widely diffused. Nor could we check our sympathy, if so urged by hard reason, without deterioration in the noblest part of our nature. The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with a certain and great present evil. Hence we must bear without complaining the undoubtedly bad effects of the weak surviving and propagating their kind; but there appears to be at least one check in steady action, namely the weaker and inferior members of society not marrying so freely as the sound; and this check might be indefinitely increased, though this is more to be hoped for than expected, by the weak in body or mind refraining from marriage.”
    ― Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man ."

    Clearly, Darwin is saying here livestock who are "weak" are not allowed to breed since science says that breeding weak livestock will create more. Why is it that Darwin then reverts to our "noble nature"? What does this have to do with science? Science would dictate that if we want a healthy society, we need to breed healthy offspring, so why not have the state over see it?

    Those who oppose it will be crushed by science, right?

    Does it disturb you that Darwin talks about "evil"?

    Naturally, men like Hitler just discarded his superstitious ramblings over a noble nature and evil and just embraced science, so he cleared out the hospitals.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    13 Jun '18 13:58
    Originally posted by @whodey
    We have come along way, eh? Tell that to the unborn who are aborted by the millions and the fact that in no time in human history has there been so much slavery in the world.

    So tell us, what do you make of this Darwin quote?

    “With savages, the weak in body or mind are soon eliminated; and those that survive commonly exhibit a vigorous state of health ...[text shortened]... mblings over a noble nature and evil and just embraced science, so he cleared out the hospitals.
    "Hitler embraced science??"
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Jun '18 14:15
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    "Hitler embraced science??"
    The science of eugenics.

    He simply embraced the science of genetics by reproductively eliminating the weak, so he emptied out the hospitals by sending them to their deaths.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81298
    13 Jun '18 14:30
    Everyone is racist to an extent...some lie about it.
  9. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    13 Jun '18 16:52
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The science of eugenics.

    He simply embraced the science of genetics by reproductively eliminating the weak, so he emptied out the hospitals by sending them to their deaths.
    There is no aspect of genetics suggesting that people should "eliminate the weak."
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Jun '18 16:59
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    There is no aspect of genetics suggesting that people should "eliminate the weak."
    Farmers do it all the time with the cattle.

    People who race horses do the same.
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    13 Jun '18 17:17
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Farmers do it all the time with the cattle.

    People who race horses do the same.
    Geneticists study genetics.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14737
    13 Jun '18 17:39
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    There is no aspect of genetics suggesting that people should "eliminate the weak."
    Life eliminates the weak. Many species fight for the right to mate insuring the male that is stronger and has more endurance is selected by the female.
    Genetics already does what you claim doesn't happen. Deer are a good example. Eliminating the weak is already in the deer gene pool. This helps reduce the loss of heterosis from inbreeding as well.
    When American Pit Bull Terriers are bred to be strong that is a good example of people eliminating the weak in the APBT gene pool. Fighting Game chickens as well.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    13 Jun '18 18:08
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Life eliminates the weak. Many species fight for the right to mate insuring the male that is stronger and has more endurance is selected by the female.
    Genetics already does what you claim doesn't happen. Deer are a good example. Eliminating the weak is already in the deer gene pool. This helps reduce the loss of heterosis from inbreeding as well.
    Whe ...[text shortened]... od example of people eliminating the weak in the APBT gene pool. Fighting Game chickens as well.
    He knows, he is just playing stupid.

    You are playing, right KN?
  14. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    13 Jun '18 18:16
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Life eliminates the weak. Many species fight for the right to mate insuring the male that is stronger and has more endurance is selected by the female.
    Genetics already does what you claim doesn't happen. Deer are a good example. Eliminating the weak is already in the deer gene pool. This helps reduce the loss of heterosis from inbreeding as well.
    Whe ...[text shortened]... od example of people eliminating the weak in the APBT gene pool. Fighting Game chickens as well.
    Genetics is the study of genes, DNA, heredity, etc. It doesn't say a single thing about what people should or should not do with this knowledge.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    13 Jun '18 19:03
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    This raises a lot of questions.

    [quote] In China, the man who famously once described racism as “a disease of white people” describes the “industrious, filthy, obtuse people” he observes. He notes how the “Chinese don’t sit on benches while eating but squat like Europeans do when they relieve themselves out in the leafy woods. All this occurs quietly ...[text shortened]... ttps://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia
    China in the 20s sucked. Even Mao would agree with that.
Back to Top