Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 00:42
    So far: about as expected in the Senate races - GOP picks up Evan Bayh's seat in Indiana, Rand Paul wins in Kentucky, O'Donnell gets spanked in Delaware, Blumenthal beats McMahon in Connecticut. Pick up of two for the Republicans thus far; Blanche Lincoln loses in Arkansas as expected.

Exit polls show it's really close in Illinois (as expected) and Pennsylvania (not as expected).
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 00:46
    Some organizations are calling West Virginia for right wing Democrat Joe Manchin; a Republican Senate takeover is looking very unlikely.
  3. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    03 Nov '10 01:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Some organizations are calling West Virginia for right wing Democrat Joe Manchin; a Republican Senate takeover is looking very unlikely.
    If history is any indication, a loss of the House and the Senate would increase the odds that Obama gets elected to a second term.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 01:25
    Originally posted by bbarr
    If history is any indication, a loss of the House and the Senate would increase the odds that Obama gets elected to a second term.
    Dems are up to 47 with reasonably safe seats in Oregon and Hawaii. The Republicans are going to have to sweep the races left including California where Boxer has led by about 5 points in the late polls. Exit polls show Feingold and Johnson very close in Wisconsin; maybe I'll get my miracle.

So the GOP needs ALL of the Senate races in Pennsylvania, Illinois, Colorado, Nevada, Washington and California plus Wisconsin. I don't see that happening.
  5. 03 Nov '10 01:31
    Who said that it was important for the Republicans to take the Senate? As long as the Republicans can safely filibuster, that's all I'm looking for.

But then again, I'm not even worried about that. If the Republicans take the House, then I'm happy.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 01:34
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Who said that it was important for the Republicans to take the Senate? As long as the Republicans can safely filibuster, that's all I'm looking for.

But then again, I'm not even worried about that. If the Republicans take the House, then I'm happy.
    Filibusters don't get legislation passed. Do you want the Republicans to pass anything or just obstruct?
  7. 03 Nov '10 01:35
    Filibusters don't get legislation passed. Do you want the Republicans to pass anything or just obstruct?
    Why would I want anything that Obama wants passed? I'm just waiting for the next election so that we can get rid of Obama, wipe out a few more liberals and start heading in the Right direction.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 01:38
    Why would I want anything that Obama wants passed? I'm just waiting for the next election so that we can get rid of Obama, wipe out a few more liberals and start heading in the Right direction.
    Are you new at this reading thing?

I'll ask the question AGAIN: Do you want the Republicans to pass any legislation or simply obstruct?
  9. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    03 Nov '10 01:39
    Dems are up to 47 with reasonably safe seats in Oregon and Hawaii. The Republicans are going to have to sweep the races left including California where Boxer has led by about 5 points in the late polls. Exit polls show Feingold and Johnson very close in Wisconsin; maybe I'll get my miracle.

So the GOP needs ALL of the Senate races in Pe ...[text shortened]... inois, Colorado, Nevada, Washington and California plus Wisconsin. I don't see that happening.
    Some precincts in Milwaukee have actually run out of ballots, and they're keeping the polls open. Reminds me of the Ohio debacle. I not too many folks decide not to bother.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 01:41
    It looks like Bennett will probably win in Colorado if the exit polls are to be believed; he's winning over 60% of independents.
  11. 03 Nov '10 01:43
    Are you new at this reading thing?

I'll ask the question AGAIN: Do you want the Republicans to pass any legislation or simply obstruct?
    Republicans will pass legislation in the House that may not make it through the Senate and will definitely get a veto from Obama.

You can call it passing legislation if you like. You can call it being obstructionists if you like.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 01:45
    Republicans will pass legislation in the House that may not make it through the Senate and will definitely get a veto from Obama.

You can call it passing legislation if you like. You can call it being obstructionists if you like.
    That depends on the legislation, doesn't it? Surely a Republican majority in the Senate would make it easier to pass legislation, wouldn't it?
  13. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    03 Nov '10 01:46
    If all the House Republicans do is obstruct, and the House Senate filibuster, Obama will probably be reelected. If the Republicans are serious about regaining the presidency, and securing their gains in congress, they're going to have to run on more than having stopped legislation that Obama would want.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Nov '10 01:47
    CNN is projecting that the Republicans will win the House.
  15. 03 Nov '10 01:49
    CNN is projecting that the Republicans will win the House.
    I'd like to take this time to remind you that "I told you so" two years ago when Obama was elected.

I'll enjoy making a similar claim after the next election when Obama gets unseated and the House and Senate are both Republican.