Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Oct '10 17:07
    It's become clear that, despite good intentions, electronic voting stations need to go away. Inaccurate counts, lost data, and unreliable machines have me believing they may be overcomplicating a very simple voting process. I admire the efforts of those who wish to find a better way to tally votes, however the technonogy is not reliable enough yet to be trusted.
  2. 28 Oct '10 17:33
    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=linux+voting+machine+project&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=b7b968c575c3858f

google of linux voting machine project
  3. 28 Oct '10 22:35
    Physical artifacts are necessary to prevent abuse. They are also simpler and cheaper. As it stands now (in my precinct at least) I have no idea what my actual vote was and no way to verify.

As an illustration: I once worked for a company were it was discovered that the manager writing employee reviews altered them with white-out and retyped them after the employee signed and then faxed the changed copy to the main office. He was discovered because the employee manning the copy machine kept copies and then requested the so-called originals from the main office.

Do you know if your vote was correctly recorded?
  4. 28 Oct '10 22:42
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Physical artifacts are necessary to prevent abuse. They are also simpler and cheaper. As it stands now (in my precinct at least) I have no idea what my actual vote was and no way to verify.

As an illustration: I once worked for a company were it was discovered that the manager writing employee reviews altered them with white-out and retyped them afte ...[text shortened]... e so-called originals from the main office.

Do you know if your vote was correctly recorded?
    You may be right about electronic voting being no good but I have no idea if any votes are counted. How would I know if the machine I voted on was completely ignored?
  5. 29 Oct '10 01:27
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's become clear that, despite good intentions, electronic voting stations need to go away. Inaccurate counts, lost data, and unreliable machines have me believing they may be overcomplicating a very simple voting process. I admire the efforts of those who wish to find a better way to tally votes, however the technonogy is not reliable enough yet to be trusted.
    If I recall, the democrats were crying about "hanging chads".

Having said that, do you think either party wants a system that can't be tampered with? My guess is that they both may rely on the man behind the curtain to pick our leaders.
  6. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    29 Oct '10 07:40
    Originally posted by whodey

Having said that, do you think either party wants a system that can't be tampered with? My guess is that they both may rely on the man behind the curtain to pick our leaders.
    ... doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo...
  7. 29 Oct '10 14:50

So the solution to the problem must be to start threads about Democrats trying to steal the election (even tho you admit that Republicans also want to steal the election.) If I had a dog like you whodey he would already have a smooth belly.

Actual citizens need to have some way to know that their votes did count. That it why paper is the only reliable method. One copy for you, one copy for the supervisor of elections.
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    29 Oct '10 18:48

It's clear you want to make the Democrats the boogieman in every situation, but this is not a partisan issue whodey. Paper voting, despite it's imperfections, is still the most reliable method of counting votes. I was hoping you would see this as an issue for all voters to make sure votes are counted correctly reguardless of partisan feelings, but you just can't get that far, can you?? How sad.