Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 20:01
    http://www.sciencealert.com/sweden-is-shifting-to-a-6-hour-workday

Despite research telling us it’s a really bad idea, many of us end up working 50-hour weeks or more because we think we’ll get more done and reap the benefits later. And according to a study published last month involving 600,000 people, those of us who clock up a 55-hour week will have a 33 percent greater risk of having a stroke than those who maintain a 35- to 40-hour week.

With this in mind, Sweden is moving towards a standard 6-hour work day, with businesses across the country having already implemented the change, and a retirement home embarking on a year-long experiment to compare the costs and benefits of a shorter working day.

and for an Australian comment:

http://www.womankindmag.com/articles/a-life-not-defined-by-work/

a 2013 OECD report found that more than 14 per cent of Australian workers put in more than 50 hours a week, which is way above the OECD average of 9 per cent. An Australia Institute study found that Australians work the longest hours in the developed world with an average of 1,855 hours at work each year, which is 200 hours more than employees of other countries. Some 11 per cent of Australians took no annual leave in 2014, according to a study by a leading travel website. And, unsurprisingly, numerous studies have found that we’re pretty anxious as a result, with Australia ranking as either the second or third most stressed-out country in the world, alongside America and Japan.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 20:12
    Originally posted by finnegan

Despite research telling us it’s a really bad idea, many of us end up working 50-hour weeks or more because we think we’ll get more done and reap the benefits later. And according to a study published last month involving 600,000 people, those of us who clock up a 55-hour week will have a ...[text shortened]... either the second or third most stressed-out country in the world, alongside America and Japan.
    Great idea, but what are we to do with the rest of the time?
    Drink more beer?
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 20:18

Despite research telling us it’s a really bad idea, many of us end up working 50-hour weeks or more because we think we’ll get more done and reap the benefits later. And according to a study published last month involving 600,000 people, those of us who clock up a 55-hour week will have a ...[text shortened]... either the second or third most stressed-out country in the world, alongside America and Japan.
    I'm sorry, but these measures don't go far enough.

End all work, period.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    09 Jul '16 20:50
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Great idea, but what are we to do with the rest of the time?
    Drink more beer?
    Go to Church.

Play sports.

Read books.

Explore.

Take classes.

Do art.

Have sex.

Play video games.

Watch movies.

Swim.

Wash your car.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 00:01
    I don't know who would work 50 hours or more per week, but if you're reading: you're an idiot.

I went from 40 to 32 hours and won't change it for a thing. And I didn't some scientific study to tell me that was a good idea.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 00:12

Why not do away with work altogether and have a zero chance of a stroke? 😛
  7. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 00:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why not do away with work altogether and have a zero chance of a stroke? 😛
    Work is for lazy bastards. That's why, at 63, I work about 60-70 hours a week. 😉
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 01:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Go to Church.

Play sports.

Read books.

Explore.

Take classes.

Do art.

Have sex.

Play video games.

Watch movies.

Swim.

Wash your car.
    Seven has tremendous appeal.
    I wonder if it were possible to incorporate work with that one.

Ooøœ oh, Pretty Woman...
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 06:401 edit

This reminded me of the phenomenon known as "karoshi" in Japan, where people have actually died due to overwork:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/12/AR2008071201630.html
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 10:452 edits
    How about end busybodyism instead.

There is no majic number that suits everyone so stop trying to jam people into boxes and mold them into shapes and centrally plan their lives. Some people thrive on stress and a mundane 30 or 35 or 38 or 38.5 or 40 (or whatever over majic number the control freaks came up with after consulting their dream feelings) hour week is a waste of talent.

While we're on it Christmas and Easter can go as stat holidays, frankly we don't all bow before your god, so don't try to force it on us.

I've been years without a break and other times 6 months in a year is too much, aint nobodies business but mine, butt the hell out.

Unrelated, but related:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria-police-ban-afl-clubs-from-firing-tshirt-guns-claim-theyre-as-dangerous-as-machine-guns-or-bazookas/news-story/826e1c28359eca8ac1f22403b2ae9142&memtype=anonymous
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 13:551 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Work is for lazy bastards. That's why, at 63, I work about 60-70 hours a week. 😉
    Stroke alert, stroke alert!!!

Joe is just asking for it! 😲

Can you walk? Does your face droop on one side or anything?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 15:24
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    How about end busybodyism instead.

There is no majic number that suits everyone so stop trying to jam people into boxes and mold them into shapes and centrally plan their lives. Some people thrive on stress and a mundane 30 or 35 or 38 or 38.5 or 40 (or whatever over majic number the control freaks came up with after consulting their dream feelings) hour ...[text shortened]... gerous-as-machine-guns-or-bazookas/news-story/826e1c28359eca8ac1f22403b2ae9142&memtype=anonymous
    What's prison life like, anyway?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 16:30

I work 50-60 hours per week because that's how long it takes to do my primary and secondary jobs combined. I'd love to cut back to 32 hours, but then my stuff wouldn't get done and my companies wouldn't be able to function. I don't punch a time clock. I can take off at 11 AM on a Tuesday for no good reason other than that I want to. But then my stuff doesn't get done.

By the same token, if the people who work for me can do what I need them to do in 30 hours, bless 'em. But if they're not productive enough, I'm going to find someone else who can produce for the same money.

Maybe in mammoth companies or government bureaucracies can you dictate number of working hours by fiat. In the world of small business, you do what you need to do. A scientific study telling me to cut back is irrelevant. I need to feed my family. and I suspect that many others are in precisely the same position.
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 19:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    I work 50-60 hours per week because that's how long it takes to do my primary and secondary jobs combined. I'd love to cut back to 32 hours, but then my stuff wouldn't get done and my companies wouldn't be able to function. I don't punch a time clock. I can take off at 11 AM on a Tuesday for no good reason other than that I want to. But then my stuff doesn't ge ...[text shortened]... nt. I need to feed my family. and I suspect that many others are in precisely the same position.
    Graveyards are filled with indispensible people.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    10 Jul '16 19:24
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Go to Church.

Play sports.

Read books.

Explore.

Take classes.

Do art.