Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Oct '12 11:23
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19921072

The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of work in advancing peace in Europe. The committee said the EU had helped to transform Europe "from a continent of war to a continent of peace".

The award comes as the EU faces the biggest crisis of its history, with recession and social unrest rocking many of its member states. The last organisation to be given the award outright was Medecins Sans Frontieres, which won in 1999.

Announcing the award, Nobel committee president Thorbjoern Jagland acknowledged the EU's current financial problems and social unrest. But he said the committee wanted to concentrate on the body's work over six decades of advancing "peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights".

Mr Jagland highlighted the EU's work in sealing the reconciliation between France and Germany in the decades after World War II. And he praised the organisation for incorporating Spain, Portugal and Greece after their authoritarian regimes collapsed in the 1970s. The EU's reconciliation work had now moved to Balkan countries, he said, and pointed out that Croatia was on the verge of membership.

Reacting to the award, EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso said on his Twitter feed: "It is a great honour for the whole of the EU, all 500 million citizens, to be awarded the 2012 Nobel Peace prize."

The BBC's Europe correspondent Matthew Price says the EU's achievements are clear, but the committee has picked a strange time to highlight them. The eurozone crisis has made the EU look more divided and fragile than it has for decades, he says.

Based on its record over the whole of the past fifty-five years since the signing of the Treaty of Rome, does the EU deserve this accolade?
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Oct '12 12:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19921072

The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of work in advancing peace in Europe. The committee said the EU had helped to transform Europe "from a continent of war to a continent of peace".

The award comes as the EU faces the biggest crisis of its history, with recession ve years since the signing of the Treaty of Rome, does the EU deserve this accolade?
    I think I'm going to vomit.
  3. 12 Oct '12 12:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'll take that as a "No", then, shall I?

Given that, after centuries of conflict and discord in Europe, no two EU countries have fought a war since joining the organisation, would there at not least be some evidence that the award is justified?
  4. Subscriber mbakunin
    Radio Gnome
    12 Oct '12 13:37
    The committee's reasoning seems sound, both regarding reconciliation between France and Germany, democracy and human rights in Eastern Europe, and more recently reconciliation in the Balkans. Looking at European history it is clear that noone has contributed as much to peace in the West than the EU.
  5. 12 Oct '12 14:56
    EU wins Nobel Peace Prize is to rwingett as a good looking woman is to FMF.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Oct '12 14:57
    Originally posted by mbakunin
    The committee's reasoning seems sound, both regarding reconciliation between France and Germany, democracy and human rights in Eastern Europe, and more recently reconciliation in the Balkans. Looking at European history it is clear that noone has contributed as much to peace in the West than the EU.
    Agreed.
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Oct '12 15:03
    I'll take that as a "No", then, shall I?

Given that, after centuries of conflict and discord in Europe, no two EU countries have fought a war since joining the organisation, would there at not least be some evidence that the award is justified?
    That's because they export all their wars to third world countries these days. You keep the home front nice and tidy that way.
  8. 12 Oct '12 15:17
    That's because they export all their wars to third world countries these days. You keep the home front nice and tidy that way.
    Many of those wars in the Third World might have happened anyway regardless of whether the EU existed or not. But at least we haven't had a Third World War.

The question is surely whether there are fewer wars, overall, in the world today because of the existence of the EU.
  9. 12 Oct '12 15:26
    The BBC's Gavin Hewitt writes:

"Europe's leaders fell upon this rare piece of good news with an almost desperate embrace. If there is a core justification for the European project, it is to make war impossible again on the continent. That has been the EU's outstanding achievement."
  10. 12 Oct '12 15:31
    On the other hand, here's an alternative view from Nigel Farage of the UK Independence Party (UKIP):

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-12/farage-slams-nobel-peace-prize-farce-insurgency-and-violence-reign

"You only have to open your eyes to see the increasing violence and division within the EU which is caused by the Euro project. The last attempt in Europe to impose a new flag, currency and nationality on separate states was called Yugoslavia. The EU is repeating the same tragic mistake. Rather than bring peace and harmony, the EU will cause insurgency and violence."
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Oct '12 15:33
    The BBC's Gavin Hewitt writes:

"Europe's leaders fell upon this rare piece of good news with an almost desperate embrace. If there is a core justification for the European project, it is to make war impossible again on the continent. That has been the EU's outstanding achievement."
    Tell the Serbs killed in the NATO bombing about the "outstanding achievement" of the EU of making "war impossible again on the continent".
  12. 12 Oct '12 15:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Tell the Serbs killed in the NATO bombing about the "outstanding achievement" of the EU of making "war impossible again on the continent".
    Serbia wasn't then (and indeed, isn't now) part of the EU.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Oct '12 15:36
    Serbia wasn't then part of the EU.
    The EU isn't NATO.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    12 Oct '12 15:37
    Serbia vs its victims is hardly Germany vs France.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Oct '12 15:39
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is "on the continent" isn't it?