Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    29426
    27 Mar '17 02:36
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    27 Mar '17 02:48
    Originally posted by AverageJoe1
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
    Everyone is created equal. But then life happens.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Joined
    09 Oct '04
    Moves
    82196
    27 Mar '17 03:05
    Originally posted by AverageJoe1
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
    Liberals are not saying people should be equal. This is a straw man assertion. What Liberals are saying is that everyone should be given an equal opportunity, that they should not face unfair obstacles in the quest for education, knowledge, employment and social improvement.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Mar '17 04:154 edits
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Liberals are not saying people should be equal. This is a straw man assertion. What Liberals are saying is that everyone should be given an equal opportunity, that they should not face unfair obstacles in the quest for education, knowledge, employment and social improvement.
    At least, that is their mantra.

    But if the truth be told, they oppose things like school vouchers so that kids are stuck in public school systems they can't get out of while the Progs in government send all their children to private schools. Then these same hypocrites opt out of a health care system they force us all to participate in. They also proposed "free college" this last election cycle, but ONLY to community colleges, not the high flying exclusive Universities their children will attend. And what of retirement? Progs in Congress have lavish retirement packages that give them free health care for life while they steal money out of Social Security that no one will be able to survive on. Of course, all that money simply is not enough, so they just run trillion dollar deficits that future generations will suffer with after they are long dead.

    They can shove their equality up their rump.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    27 Mar '17 07:541 edit
    Originally posted by AverageJoe1
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
    the same old tired argument, complete with the "?!?" of bewilderment at the end.

    the explanation is the same:
    equal opportunity oh dear ignorant.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    27 Mar '17 08:13
    Originally posted by AverageJoe1
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
    what about inherited wealth? how have those people who receive it worked longer and harder than others for it, please explain.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    27 Mar '17 08:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    At least, that is their mantra.

    But if the truth be told, they oppose things like school vouchers so that kids are stuck in public school systems they can't get out of while the Progs in government send all their children to private schools. Then these same hypocrites opt out of a health care system they force us all to participate in. They also proposed ...[text shortened]... tions will suffer with after they are long dead.

    They can shove their equality up their rump.
    "they oppose things like school vouchers so that kids are stuck in public school systems they can't get out"
    yes ignorant one. because school vouchers ALWAYS come with:
    a) cuts to already underfunded public schools
    b) refusal to hold private schools to the same accountability as public schools
    c) many children don't benefit from them.


    "They also proposed "free college" this last election cycle, but ONLY to community colleges, not the high flying exclusive Universities their children will attend"
    dumbass, those are private institutions. what do you expect them to ask? nationalization? of bloody course only community colleges.

    "Progs in Congress have lavish retirement packages that give them free health care for life while they steal money out of Social Security that no one will be able to survive on"
    everyone in congress has awesome healthcare packages. while "the progs" ask for healthcare for all, ryan wants to screw 24 million americans out of it and give tax cuts to the rich.

    "Of course, all that money simply is not enough, so they just run trillion dollar deficits that future generations will suffer with after they are long dead."
    everyone runs deficits. it's what you do with the money that counts.
  8. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    27 Mar '17 08:42
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "they oppose things like school vouchers so that kids are stuck in public school systems they can't get out"
    yes ignorant one. because school vouchers ALWAYS come with:
    a) cuts to already underfunded public schools
    b) refusal to hold private schools to the same accountability as public schools
    c) many children don't benefit from them.


    "They also p ...[text shortened]... after they are long dead."
    everyone runs deficits. it's what you do with the money that counts.
    Here in the UK ,they should ban the house of lords .
    I don't think the lib lords would fancy that somehow ,after all they receive £300 a day in expenses just for turning up .
    If they ( liberals) want a world were everyone has an equal opportunity in life the house of Lords should be gone .
    The Lib Lords would move you on to the next agenda faster than a Donald Trump tax return question .
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Mar '17 10:04
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Here in the UK ,they should ban the house of lords .
    I don't think the lib lords would fancy that somehow ,after all they receive £300 a day in expenses just for turning up .
    If they ( liberals) want a world were everyone has an equal opportunity in life the house of Lords should be gone .
    The Lib Lords would move you on to the next agenda faster than a Donald Trump tax return question .
    People like "Z" are perfectly happy with the way things are in government. All he wants is to give them even more power is all.
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56264
    27 Mar '17 11:33
    Originally posted by AverageJoe1
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
    You can only judge equality on the options offered to people.

    You can't say one person is better than another just because they work longer.
    What about a nurse during a disaster in Somalia, working 16 hour shifts for pennies.
    Is she worth more than a bank manager in Geneva? How come she's paid less?

    Then again, all that needs to be said already has been...
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    27 Mar '17 13:181 edit
    can't believe i forgot to mock you about calling equality a liberal premise.

    you don't scoff at the idea of equality because you're conservative. you scoff at it because you're racist, xenophobe or elitist. because you belong to a privileged group and like having people "less than" you.

    that's not being conservative, that's being an ashole.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    27 Mar '17 13:40
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    can't believe i forgot to mock you about calling equality a liberal premise.

    you don't scoff at the idea of equality because you're conservative. you scoff at it because you're racist, xenophobe or elitist. because you belong to a privileged group and like having people "less than" you.

    that's not being conservative, that's being an ashole.
    Racist card (standard in all debates) : Check

    Xenophobe card: Check

    New Elitist card: Check

    You forgot Misogynist!

    🙄
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    27 Mar '17 14:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    Racist card (standard in all debates) : Check

    Xenophobe card: Check

    New Elitist card: Check

    You forgot Misogynist!

    🙄
    if you find the idea of equality odd for whatever reason, you ARE a bigot. that's not me resorting to ad hominems, that's what being a bigot is. finding others less than you simply because they belong to other groups (that you arbitrarily declared)

    if you find it odd that women make the same salary as men, you are mysoginist. if you find it odd that blacks make the same as whites, you are racist. if you find it odd that poor people struggle to get ahead and immediately resort to "poor people are stupid and/or lazy", you are an elitist ashole.
  14. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    27 Mar '17 14:30
    Originally posted by AverageJoe1
    How can everyone be equal when, simply put, some people work harder and/or longer than others. Just that one fact makes that dream of liberals impossible to achieve. Yet they somehow think it makes sense. Help me Rhonda.
    Which "liberals" have you heard claim that "everyone should be equal"?
  15. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    88809
    27 Mar '17 14:32
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Liberals are not saying people should be equal. This is a straw man assertion. What Liberals are saying is that everyone should be given an equal opportunity, that they should not face unfair obstacles in the quest for education, knowledge, employment and social improvement.
    Aren't these socialist values rather than liberal values?
Back to Top