Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 Mar '12 23:27 / 1 edit
    Advertisers are fleeing old Rush by the bushel, but he insists "everything's cool." Every time this guy opens his big fat mouth the GOP approval rating falls another 5 points. As a Demcrat, I think it's pretty cool too. Keep talking Rush!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/rush-limbaugh-over-40-advertisers-flee-host-says-202554683--abc-news.html?bcmt=1331234525118-d6121fc7-e175-42f0-b3cf-403069b0078a&bcmt_s=u#ugccmt-container-b
  2. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    09 Mar '12 00:01 / 2 edits
    Rush is right. Advertisers dropping don't matter to him directly. He could really care less. In the short term.

    What matters is if those advertisers drop their spots on the stations that host them. It's the stations that have to fight for spots. Until the stations start dropping, he could care less.

    The real test is whether the stations start dropping -- that means he's losing his listener base, and then the advertisers will drop in numbers that really matter.

    So far, that's not happening. But if the stations tire of trying to fight for advertisers, they will drop him.

    And there's some sign he's close to this. His flagship station. WABC, lost over half of the paid advertising slots for his show. They won't hold him if that keeps up.

    http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203070008
  3. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    09 Mar '12 01:00
    Originally posted by bill718
    Advertisers are fleeing old Rush by the bushel,...
    Of course, "fleeing Rush" presents a problem for relativity theorists, since to do so given his immense mass would require exceeding the speed of light. Perhaps quantum tunneling is the answer...
  4. 09 Mar '12 01:31
    Originally posted by bill718
    Advertisers are fleeing old Rush by the bushel, but he insists "everything's cool." Every time this guy opens his big fat mouth the GOP approval rating falls another 5 points. As a Demcrat, I think it's pretty cool too. Keep talking Rush!!

    http://news.yahoo.com/rush-limbaugh-over-40-advertisers-flee-host-says-202554683--abc-news.html?bcmt=1331234525118-d6121fc7-e175-42f0-b3cf-403069b0078a&bcmt_s=u#ugccmt-container-b
    Zero games in progress, not a sub anymore. Times tough ? Hows that hope and change working out for ya baby ?
    Careful what you wish for.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Mar '12 04:42
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Zero games in progress, not a sub anymore. Times tough ? Hows that hope and change working out for ya baby ?
    Careful what you wish for.
    I think Rush Limbaugh should have chosen to apologise properly or chosen not to apologise at all, and thus stood by what he said. The pseudo-apology he issued means he falls between two stools and seemingly benefits/salvages little (at best). Would you agree?
  6. 09 Mar '12 05:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think Rush Limbaugh should have chosen to apologise properly or chosen not to apologise at all, and thus stood by what he said. The pseudo-apology he issued means he falls between two stools and seemingly benefits/salvages little (at best). Would you agree?
    Inside the mind of Rush, I imagine there to be a feeling of having benefited greatly.
  7. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    09 Mar '12 12:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think Rush Limbaugh should have chosen to apologise properly or chosen not to apologise at all, and thus stood by what he said. The pseudo-apology he issued means he falls between two stools and seemingly benefits/salvages little (at best). Would you agree?
    One of the companies that pulled their advertising was the 'Bonobos clothing company'. But when we look up 'bonobo' we find that it is a kind of chimpanzee:

    "The bonobo is popularly known for its high levels of sexual behavior. Sex functions in conflict appeasement, affection, social status, excitement, and stress reduction. It occurs in virtually all partner combinations and in a variety of positions. This is a factor in the lower levels of aggression seen in the bonobo when compared to the common chimpanzee and other apes."

    So naturally they would be pro-birth control!
  8. 09 Mar '12 16:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think Rush Limbaugh should have chosen to apologise properly or chosen not to apologise at all, and thus stood by what he said. The pseudo-apology he issued means he falls between two stools and seemingly benefits/salvages little (at best). Would you agree?
    I fail to see the need for any apology.
  9. 09 Mar '12 16:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    Inside the mind of Rush, I imagine there to be a feeling of having benefited greatly.
    To some extent, you may be right.

    People pay for expensive advertising on Rush's show because it works, not because they all agree with him. Advertising is about sales, nothing more or less.
  10. 09 Mar '12 16:06
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I fail to see the need for any apology.
    No surprise here.
  11. 09 Mar '12 16:08
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    One of the companies that pulled their advertising was the 'Bonobos clothing company'. But when we look up 'bonobo' we find that it is a kind of chimpanzee:

    "The bonobo is popularly known for its high levels of sexual behavior. Sex functions in conflict appeasement, affection, social status, excitement, and stress reduction. It occurs in virtually al ...[text shortened]... to the common chimpanzee and other apes."

    So naturally they would be pro-birth control!
    Are you implying the Ms. Fluker of GTown law fame is descended from bonobos?
  12. 09 Mar '12 16:10
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    No surprise here.
    Even hateful, and lunatic speech is protected, and the remedy is alternative speech not shut down. In my thread on Thaddeus Matthews, I hate what he said, and how he said it, but regret that he's sacked.
  13. 09 Mar '12 16:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Even hateful, and lunatic speech is protected, and the remedy is alternative speech not shut down. In my thread on Thaddeus Matthews, I hate what he said, and how he said it, but regret that he's sacked.
    It's not a violation of free speech to be fired from a radio station.

    Also, apologizing for idiotic, hateful and stupid speech is the right thing to do no matter who you are.
  14. 09 Mar '12 16:29
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    It's not a violation of free speech to be fired from a radio station.

    Also, apologizing for idiotic, hateful and stupid speech is the right thing to do no matter who you are.
    Obviously not. Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee a microphone or a radio network.

    "Also, apologizing for idiotic, hateful and stupid speech is the right thing to do no matter who you are."

    Most often, those are subjective judgments. Personally, every time I turn on MSNBC Rachel Maddow, Al Sharpton, Ed Rendel, and company are engaged in "idiotic, hateful and stupid speech", but I'm not trying to get them off the air, or cable. The dozen or so people listening to them aren't a big deal.
  15. 09 Mar '12 17:22
    Originally posted by normbenign

    Most often, those are subjective judgments. Personally, every time I turn on MSNBC Rachel Maddow, Al Sharpton, Ed Rendel, and company are engaged in "idiotic, hateful and stupid speech", but I'm not trying to get them off the air, or cable. The dozen or so people listening to them aren't a big deal.
    So why shouldn't Rush have apologized for his misogynistic screed?