Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    30 Mar '18 22:202 edits
    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/facebook-censors-palestinian-news-outlet-1

    "Facebook censors Palestinian news outlet"

    "Facebook has shut down the page of a major Palestinian news outlet,
    in what appears to be a blatant instance of pro-Israel censorship.
    The Safa Palestinian Press Agency reported that on Saturday its page,
    which had more than 1.3 million followers, was shut down without warning."

    "On Monday, Safa reported that its page on the photo sharing network
    Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, had also been shut down
    without any warning. The account had more than 70,000 followers.
    This appears to be an escalation of Facebook’s persistent blocking of
    the accounts of Palestinian journalists and publications."

    "According to Safa, Facebook has in recent days shut down about 100
    accounts belonging to Palestinian media and activists."

    "In 2016, Israel made an agreement with Facebook to collaborate in
    monitoring what Israel claims to be “incitement” by Palestinians.
    That year, Facebook apologized for disabling the accounts of several
    Palestinian journalists, claiming it had been a mistake.
    But with the shuttering of Safa’s accounts, it appears that the targeting
    of Palestinian journalists continues."

    "In recent years, Israel has been pushing to broaden the definition of
    anti-Semitism – which simply means bigotry against Jews as Jews – to
    include criticism of Israel and its state ideology, Zionism."

    "While Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians,
    violent and racist incitement by Israelis continues unabated."

    "On the eve of the 2014 Israeli assault on Gaza that left more than 550
    Palestinian children dead, {Israel's Minister of Justice Ayelet] Shaked
    promoted a call [on Facebook] for genocidal violence, including the slaughter
    of Palestinian mothers who give birth to “little snakes.”"

    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israeli-lawmakers-call-genocide-palestinians-gets-thousands-facebook-likes

    "Israeli lawmaker’s call for genocide of Palestinians gets thousands of Facebook likes"

    The article includes the original Facebook post in Hebrew with an English translation by Dena Shunra.

    In US political and media culture, criticism of Israel or Zionism has long
    been blindly equated with anti-Semitism. Accusing critics of Israel of
    being anti-Semitic or even pro-Nazi has long been a very effective way of
    silencing criticism of Israel by any Americans with any reputations to lose.

    I doubt that the right-wing supporters of Israel here who zealously support
    the right to vent anti-Muslim or anti-Arab hate speech will object to any
    American corporate censorship of criticism of Israel.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    31 Mar '18 08:332 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/facebook-censors-palestinian-news-outlet-1

    "Facebook censors Palestinian news outlet"

    "Facebook has shut down the page of a major Palestinian news outlet,
    in what appears to be a blatant instance of pro-Israel censorship.
    The Safa Palestinian Press Agency reported that on Saturday its page,
    whic ...[text shortened]... anti-Arab hate speech will object to any
    American corporate censorship of criticism of Israel.
    If I may offer a point of information. Facebook has also censored the pages from KKK and neo Nazi groups as well. It might be premature to conclude Facebooks closing of one Palestinian news outlet is an effort to "collude with governments" in view of the fact these news outlets are freely available on Google, Yahoo and other sites.

    https://nypost.com/2017/08/17/facebook-bans-neo-nazi-from-site-removes-white-supremacist-pages/

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/5255133/Facebook-shuts-Ku-Klux-Klan-page.html
  3. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19295
    31 Mar '18 14:07
    I am glad to see that Duchess is interested in censorship and the threat that the itnernet can actually pose when we allow major corporations to police our thoughts and monitor us.

    This is a major concern of mine.
  4. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    31 Mar '18 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    If I may offer a point of information. Facebook has also censored the pages from KKK and neo Nazi groups as well. It might be premature to conclude Facebooks closing of one Palestinian news outlet is an effort to "collude with governments" in view of the fact these news outlets are freely available on Google, Yahoo and other sites.

    https://nypost.com/2017 ...[text shortened]...

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/5255133/Facebook-shuts-Ku-Klux-Klan-page.html
    A major 'Palestinian news outlet' is NOT morally comparable to the KKK or 'neo-Nazi groups',
    regardless of the lies that supporters of Israel love to believe or propagate.

    'Brainwashed' by generations of extreme pro-Israeli propaganda, I suspect that many, if
    not most, Americans approve of censoring all Palestinian criticism of Israel or Zionism.
    (Fortunately, most other people in the world have less pro-Israeli bias than Americans do.)
    Indeed, I suspect that some pro-Israeli writers here privately approve of Israel's Justice Minister
    calling on Facebook (which did not censor it) for the genocide of Palestinians.
  5. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19295
    01 Apr '18 04:55
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    A major 'Palestinian news outlet' is NOT morally comparable to the KKK or 'neo-Nazi groups',
    regardless of the lies that supporters of Israel love to believe or propagate.

    'Brainwashed' by generations of extreme pro-Israeli propaganda, I suspect that many, if
    not most, Americans approve of censoring all Palestinian criticism of Israel or Zionism.
    (F ...[text shortened]... ustice Minister
    calling on Facebook (which did not censor it) for the genocide of Palestinians.
    Who gets to determine which groups get to be censored and have their freedoms taken away?

    You?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    01 Apr '18 09:17
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Who gets to determine which groups get to be censored and have their freedoms taken away?

    You?
    Who do you think?
  7. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    01 Apr '18 11:41
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/facebook-censors-palestinian-news-outlet-1

    "Facebook censors Palestinian news outlet"

    "Facebook has shut down the page of a major Palestinian news outlet,
    in what appears to be a blatant instance of pro-Israel censorship.
    The Safa Palestinian Press Agency reported that on Saturday its page,
    whic ...[text shortened]... anti-Arab hate speech will object to any
    American corporate censorship of criticism of Israel.
    "While Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians, violent and racist incitement by Israelis continues unabated."



    While I agree there is an unwarranted Pro Israel bias in America , I've seen no evidence to date that Facebook "colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians"
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55367
    01 Apr '18 13:21
    Originally posted by @mchill
    "While Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians, violent and racist incitement by Israelis continues unabated."



    While I agree there is an unwarranted Pro Israel bias in America , I've seen no evidence to date that Facebook "colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians"
    There is no pro-Israel bias in the United States. There just isn't always the knee jerk anti israel, anti Jewish hatred that overt racists like Dutchess continually spew.
  9. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    01 Apr '18 16:152 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    "While Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians, violent and racist incitement by Israelis continues unabated."

    While I agree there is an unwarranted Pro Israel bias in America , I've seen no evidence to date that Facebook "colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians"
    Mchill ignores the fact that the article pointed out Facebook's blatant
    double standard toward Israeli and Palestinian speech.

    While Facebook evidently censors a Palestinian news agency for
    reporting facts that Israel does not want to be given attention , Facebook
    allowed Israel's Justice Minister to call for genocide against Palestinians.
    Facebook may become another American conduit of Israeli propaganda.
  10. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    01 Apr '18 16:241 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    There is no pro-Israel bias in the United States. There just isn't always the knee jerk anti israel, anti Jewish hatred that overt racists like Dutchess continually spew.
    Quackquack's a notorious racist who routinely lies on behalf of his beloved Israel.

    In fact, some Israeli Jewish academics (one told me so in person) know
    that the US media has a more extreme pro-Israeli bias than even
    the Israeli media, which has been becoming more right-wing.
    In the past, however, Haaretz often was more critical than the
    New York Times of Israel's government and military.
  11. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    02 Apr '18 00:31
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Mchill ignores the fact that the article pointed out Facebook's blatant
    double standard toward Israeli and Palestinian speech.

    While Facebook evidently censors a Palestinian news agency for
    reporting facts that Israel does not want to be given attention , Facebook
    allowed Israel's Justice Minister to call for genocide against Palestinians.
    Facebook may become another American conduit of Israeli propaganda.
    Please pardon my return to the subject Duchess, but I still see no evidence that Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians. Which governments exactly is Facebook colluding with??
  12. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    02 Apr '18 02:271 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Please pardon my return to the subject Duchess, but I still see no evidence that Facebook colludes
    with governments to crack down on Palestinians. Which governments exactly is Facebook colluding with??
    The troll Mchill's extremely obtuse or dishonest, showing (at best) abysmal 'reading comprehension'.

    "While Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians,
    violent and racist incitement by Israelis continues unabated."
    --Ali Abunimah (from the article quoted in the original post)

    OBVIOUSLY, Ali Abunimah referred to Israel as 'cracking down on Palestinians'.
    Who else? What other government has the Palestinians under military occupation?
    Ali Abunimah regarded it as unnecessary to SPELL IT OUT as ISRAEL'S GOVERNMENT
    because he was not writing for 'readers' as extremely stupid or dishonest as found here.

    Like most Americans in an extremely pro-Israeli political culture, Mchill turns his willfully blind
    eye toward the countless ways in which Palestinians are treated unfairly by Israel and its supporters.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    55367
    02 Apr '18 12:14
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Quackquack's a notorious racist who routinely lies on behalf of his beloved Israel.

    In fact, some Israeli Jewish academics (one told me so in person) know
    that the US media has a more extreme pro-Israeli bias than even
    the Israeli media, which has been becoming more right-wing.
    In the past, however, Haaretz often was more critical than the
    New York Times of Israel's government and military.
    The United States should support Israel, its biggest ally in the United States. Your hateful views towards Jews and Israel are yet another example of your low quality character, your "intellectual dishonesty" and your desire to spew hatred.
  14. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    02 Apr '18 17:242 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    The troll Mchill's extremely obtuse or dishonest, showing (at best) abysmal 'reading comprehension'.

    "While Facebook colludes with governments to crack down on Palestinians,
    violent and racist incitement by Israelis continues unabated."
    --Ali Abunimah (from the article quoted in the original post)

    OBVIOUSLY, Ali Abunimah referred to Israel as ' ...[text shortened]... ward the countless ways in which Palestinians are treated unfairly by Israel and its supporters.
    Ali Abunimah regarded it as unnecessary to SPELL IT OUT as ISRAEL'S GOVERNMENT
    because he was not writing for 'readers' as extremely stupid or dishonest as found here.


    I apologize deeply for my stupidity and dishonesty Duchess, but when you said Facebook "colludes with governments" I assumed (in my own stupidity) there was more than one government besides Israel that Facebook was colluding with, since your post said governments, it seemed to suggest there was more than one country involved.

    A thousand pardons for my misinterpretation. This inferior white male humbly begs for forgiveness! 😳
  15. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    02 Apr '18 20:05
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Ali Abunimah regarded it as unnecessary to SPELL IT OUT as ISRAEL'S GOVERNMENT
    because he was not writing for 'readers' as extremely stupid or dishonest as found here.

    I apologize deeply for my stupidity and dishonesty Duchess, but when you said Facebook "colludes with governments" I assumed (in my own stupidity) there was more than one government bes ...[text shortened]... sand pardons for my misinterpretation. This inferior white male humbly begs for forgiveness! 😳
    "There was more than one government besides Israel that Facebook was colluding with .."
    --Mchill

    Ali Abunimah may also have been referring to the US government, given the USA's
    practically unconditional support for Israel's oppression of the Palestinians.
    Given that it's based in the USA, Facebook likes to avoid fighting the US government.
Back to Top