Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 May '12 20:56
    In Obama's recent State of the Union address, he discussed the need for "fairness" to help combat our economic woes.

First of all, what is fair? Secondly, what kind of power would the government have to have over its population to make everything "fair"?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    26 May '12 21:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    In Obama's recent State of the Union address, he discussed the need for "fairness" to help combat our economic woes.

First of all, what is fair? Secondly, what kind of power would the government have to have over its population to make everything "fair"?
    Many wealthy right wingers think progressive taxes are unfair.
  3. 26 May '12 21:08
    Life isn't fair.
  4. 26 May '12 21:17
    Again, what is "fair"? If we cannot say, then it is only based upon mere opinion.
  5. 26 May '12 23:37 / 1 edit
    I suppose the premise of the President is that we have "unequal" wealth distribution. No kidding. So I assume that to be "fair" then we would all have "equal" wealth distribution? Is being fair total equality down to the last penny or simply punishing the 1%'ers? Also, should I now expect Barack Obama to share his wealth with me or is this pure demogogary?
  6. 27 May '12 02:27
    I suppose the premise of the President is that we have "unequal" wealth distribution. No kidding. So I assume that to be "fair" then we would all have "equal" wealth distribution? Is being fair total equality down to the last penny or simply punishing the 1%'ers? Also, should I now expect Barack Obama to share his wealth with me or is this pure demogogary?
    Also, should I now expect Barack Obama to share his wealth with me or is this pure demogogary?-whodey

Ask his brother George who lives in a shack in Kenya, about Barry sharing his wealth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/2590614/Barack-Obamas-lost-brother-found-in-Kenya.html
  7. 27 May '12 02:42

It would be fair to not burden our children with debt our government leaves them. That amounts to economic slavery. What has Obama done to address that problem?

Out of all the economic stimulus how much money did it take to create each job that we have now that we didn't before? I heard a figure once and it made me want to puke! It was pathetic and it was probably worse than that figure since many unemployed are not counted.

Obama has no right to be talking about fairness. His children will be wealthy all of their lives, but what about the kids of poor families? Does he care? I don't think so.
  8. 27 May '12 02:50
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    It would be fair to not burden our children with debt our government leaves them. That amounts to economic slavery. What has Obama done to address that problem?

Out of all the economic stimulus how much money did it take to create each job that we have now that we didn't before? I heard a figure once and it made me want to puke! It was pathetic and it ...[text shortened]... all of their lives, but what about the kids of poor families? Does he care? I don't think so.
    Hence the word demogogue. It's like when Waren Buffet gets up there and says that he is not paying enough taxes......but then his companies do not pay the taxes they owe. I suppose just saying the "right" leftist things is enough to be cool in the eyes of a left winger.
  9. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    27 May '12 02:59
    "Fairness" is just another one of the words used by politicians when they want to give handouts to - or collect revenue from - a different bunch of people from the ones they dealt with in their last attack of "fairness".
  10. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    27 May '12 03:43
    Obama is selling envy, pure and simple.
  11. 27 May '12 08:27
    You seriously believe that Obama seeks to have an "equal wealth distribution"?
  12. 27 May '12 08:31
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    It's interesting that "envy", "class warfare" etc. are such hot themes in one of the most unequal societies in the western world. What do you suggest to improve the US' poor social mobility and the low likelihood of living the American Dream when you are talented and hard-working compared to e.g. Northern Europe, Canada and Australia?
  13. 27 May '12 12:54
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You seriously believe that Obama seeks to have an "equal wealth distribution"?
    As I have said, of course not. However, his new "Fairness Doctrine" would have us scratching our heads as to what is or is not fair. I assume he is talking $$$$ here and how it is not properly distributed. If not, what do you think he is talking about?
  14. 27 May '12 12:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's interesting that "envy", "class warfare" etc. are such hot themes in one of the most unequal societies in the western world. What do you suggest to improve the US' poor social mobility and the low likelihood of living the American Dream when you are talented and hard-working compared to e.g. Northern Europe, Canada and Australia?
    Now we are talking. You agree that things are not "fair" in terms of wealth distribution. Tell us your version of what would be "fair" and what exactly does "fair" mean?
  15. 27 May '12 13:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    You have to sell something. People want money and will always want money so the formula is bullet proof and it is why Marxist philosophies will always be with us. Just redistribute the money and "poof!", we have a "fair" society.