Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 17:44
    I would question this just because on Facebook I've seen so many bogus stories posted which came from sites like "Occupy Democrats" which apparently has no connection to the occupy orgs themselves.

And then it occurs to me that I've seen a great deal of questioning of these stories on FB. So it may be that someone clicks and shares, but in left circles it just doesn't make it as far.
    If true, then it suggests that left wingers, at least in the US, tend to have greater critical thinking skills. Not definitive, as there can be a number of factors in play. But certainly evidence.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/11/25/1603978/-Fake-news-network-tried-to-write-fake-news-for-liberals-but-they-just-never-take-the-bait?detail=facebook
  2. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 18:06
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I would question this just because on Facebook I've seen so many bogus stories posted which came from sites like "Occupy Democrats" which apparently has no connection to the occupy orgs themselves.

And then it occurs to me that I've seen a great deal of questioning of these stories on FB. So it may be that someone clicks and shares, but in left circles it ...[text shortened]... -network-tried-to-write-fake-news-for-liberals-but-they-just-never-take-the-bait?detail=facebook
    This is is probably true of FB, but I think this problem has arisen because of mainstream media bias.
    I don't think it is even debatable at this point, taking in to account all the news in recent years of their bias.
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 18:33

And then it occurs to me that I've seen a great deal of questioning of these stories on FB. So it may be that someone clicks and shares, but in left circles it ...[text shortened]... -network-tried-to-write-fake-news-for-liberals-but-they-just-never-take-the-bait?detail=facebook
    Greater critical thinking skills?? Perhaps, but millions of Dems didn't "critically think" to go to the polls and vote on election day. They should have considered the fact that every vote counts in a close election.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 18:59
    If true, then it suggests that left wingers, at least in the US, tend to have greater critical thinking skills.
    That is certainly the case on this site.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 19:142 edits
    it suggests that left wingers, at least in the US, tend to have greater critical thinking skills
    That's not surprising. Consider some beliefs which are almost exclusive to right-wingers:

Creationism
    Vaccinating causes autism
    Global warming is a hoax
    Women can't get pregnant from rape
    Evolution is a lie
    Flat earth
    Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya

The list goes on. It's a demonstrable fact that right-wingers have less critical thinking skills.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 19:20
    Originally posted by mchill
    Greater critical thinking skills?? Perhaps, but millions of Dems didn't "critically think" to go to the polls and vote on election day. They should have considered the fact that every vote counts in a close election.
    Well, actually no. 2 million votes don't count at all.
  7. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 19:28
    Originally posted by vivify
    That's not surprising. Consider some beliefs which are almost exclusive to right-wingers:

Creationism
    Global warming is a hoax
    Evolution is a lie
    Flat earth

The list goes on. It's a demonstrable fact that right-wingers have less critical thinking skills.
    I believe in none of those, but I'm suspicious of the last one. If he is Muslim, I don't care. There are no laws against a Muslim president. However, there are laws in the books about Non-American citizens becoming president.

I am guilty of being a little uninterested in politics, thus I'm less likely to reasearch the subject matter before forming an opinion. However, I think everyone is more suspicious of Facebook news stories after this election cycle.
  8. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 19:45
    4Originally posted by vivify

Creationism
    Global warming is a hoax
    Evolution is a lie
    Flat earth

I don't believe 2,4,6 and number 7, I have no way of knowing.
    Number 5, is not a lie as much as unknown, misinformation and inconclusive.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 20:20
    Fake news aka other than pravda news
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 20:38
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I don't believe 2,4,6 and number 7, I have no way of knowing.
    So, you believe that a man was made from mud, a women from his ribs and that every single major study on glabal warming is part of a conspiracy to get you to use less fuel?

You do see how that sounds rather ridiculous to anyone with a functioning rationality?

Man was made from chicken soup, women were made from his toe-nail clippings and combustion is conspiracy to make you buy petrol instead of milk; which a car can run on perfectly well.

See how it sounds?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 20:46
    Originally posted by joe shmo
    I believe in none of those, but I'm suspicious of the last one.
    By 'suspicious' what do you mean? You actually give it some credence?

However, I think everyone is more suspicious of Facebook news stories after this election cycle.
    I have always been suspicious of stories that have no clear reputable source, and often quite suspicious of stories from reputable sources. Capitalistic journalism never did promote the truth all that well, and the internet has exacerbated the issue.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 20:471 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Yup, you are a certified rightwinger. (totally ignorant about biology)
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 23:271 edit

I've read the same things about the left being less susceptible to fake news and have thought about why. Are people on the left, on average, more critically thinking than people on the right? Probably. But I don't think that is the whole answer. There may be a marginal difference, but not one that would explain this big a disparity.

Another element might be the undeniable fact that most major mainstream media outlets in the US lean left. CBS, NBC, ABC, NY Times, WaPo, etc.Generally, they don't deny it. Hence, the right leaning media disparages the "lamestream media" and run-of-the-mill conservatives are sympathetic. As such, they're happier to believe alternative sources that may not be reliable.

Put another way, liberals are happy to get their news from CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and the big newspapers so they're less likely to look for news from small unreliable sources.
  14. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 23:51
    Originally posted by sh76
    I've read the same things about the left being less susceptible to fake news and have thought about why. Are people on the left, on average, more critically thinking than people on the right? Probably. But I don't think that is the whole answer. There may be a marginal difference, but not one that would explain this big a disparity.

Another element might be ...[text shortened]... BS and the big newspapers so they're less likely to look for news from small unreliable sources.
    Yes, and thank God they no longer have a monopoly on the news.
  15. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 01:261 edit
    Ah yes, Breitbart News. The only name you can trust!