Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 30 Sep '16 01:11 / 2 edits
    First of all, women's world champion Hou Yifan (China) has declared that
    she will boycott the FIDE world's women's chess championship tournament
    to protest FIDE's obstinate refusal to change the women's world championship
    format to be equal to the open (men's) world championship format.
    I approve of Hou Yifan's protest, and I don't believe that FIDE acts in
    the best interests of women's chess. Evidently, FIDE regards the title of
    women's world champion as of too little importance to be always determined
    under the same exacting conditions (a long enough match) as the open world championship.

In contrast to the open world championship, FIDE insists that the women's
    world championship be regularly decided by holding large (64 player) knock-out
    tournaments, which tends to produce some rather 'random' 'world champions'.
    When FIDE did this in the open world championship, rather obscure players such
    as Kasimdzhanov (Uzbekistan), Khalifman (Russia) and Ponomariov (Ukraine)
    became official FIDE world champions, even though no one seriously
    regarded them as the world's top players at those times.

In the past several years, Hou Yifan has proven that she's clearly the
    strongest active woman player in the world (only the retired Judit Polgar
    seemed close) by winning all her matches (none close) against players
    such as Humpy Koneru, Anna Ushenina, and Mariya Muzychak (despite
    FIDE's apparent favoritism in some cases, such as toward Mariya Muzychak).
    But it seems clear enough that FIDE President Ilyumzhinov holds Hou Yifan
    in disfavor, in contrast to women players from some countries that he
    regards as more politically supportive of his ironclad rule over FIDE.

I believe that the open (men's) world championship and the women's
    world championship should have the same formats. But FIDE insists
    that the women's world championship have a much more random format.

By the way, FIDE President Ilyumzhinov can enter any two women of his choice
    (without needing to cite any reason) into the FIDE world championship tournament.
    Perhaps Ilyumzhinov should put Phiona Mutesi (Uganda, FIDE rating 1622) into the
    FIDE world championship tournament. She would have practically no chance of
    winning, but her selection (based upon her celebrity) would please Walt Disney Studios,
    which is producing the 'Queen of Katwe' film. Then perhaps Walt Disney Studios
    could return the favor by producing something flattering about FIDE and Ilyumzhinov.
    (I have no objection to Phiona Mutesi entering the tournament if she can qualify for
    one of the three places already reserved for players from Africa.)

Now a new issue has arisen. FIDE has encountered difficulty (Why should
    Ilyumzhinov be surprised?) in persuading countries to put up money to
    host the women's world championship knock-out tournaments. So, in
    apparent desperation, FIDE has accepted Iran's offer to host it in 2017.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/protest-against-playing-the-women-s-world-championship-in-iran

"Protest Against Playing the Women's World Championship in Iran"

In earlier women's tournaments in Iran, all players were required to conform
    to Iran's dress code for women, including the covering of their hair.

The 2016 US women's champion Nazi Paikidze (who's of Georgian heritage)
    has declared that she intends to boycott the world championship tournament
    in Tehran in order to protest the compulsory dress code, if not also Iran's
    record on women's rights in general. I suspect that FIDE could not care
    less as long as Ilyumzhinov believes that Iran has put up enough money.

Whatever happens in the 2017 FIDE women's world championship tournament
    in Iran, I predict that its winner will be significantly weaker than Hou Yifan.
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    30 Sep '16 02:08 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    I approve of Hou Yifan's protest, and I don't believe that FIDE ac ...[text shortened]... ship tournament
    Fredrich Neitzsche says "Out of chaos comes order" I'm confident this situation will cause the FIDE to embark on a more fair and balanced path for the women's world championship matches.
  3. 30 Sep '16 02:31 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by mchill
    Fredrich Neitzsche says "Out of chaos comes order" I'm confident this situation will cause the FIDE
    to embark on a more fair and balanced path for the women's world championship matches.
    For several years, Hou Yifan, the women's world champion, has been complaining to FIDE
    about the women's world championship format, and she's always been ignored or dismissed.
    Her position is that the format that FIDE has decided is good enough for the open (men's)
    world championship should be adopted for the women's world championship too.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Sep '16 17:40
    Originally posted by mchill
    Fredrich Neitzsche says "Out of chaos comes order" I'm confident this situation will cause the FIDE to embark on a more fair and balanced path for the women's world championship matches.
    maybe by the year 2050....
  5. 30 Sep '16 18:03
    I hope many female players boycott the games in Tehran. I really do.
  6. 30 Sep '16 18:44
    I approve of Hou Yifan's protest, and I don't believe that FIDE ac ...[text shortened]... ship tournament
    what is the source for Yifans boycott, if you please.
  7. 30 Sep '16 19:44
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what is the source for Yifans boycott, if you please.
    Hou Yifan was interviewed at the ChessBase website.
    Her decision to boycott the FIDE women's world championship tournament has been widely reported.
  8. 30 Sep '16 19:57 / 1 edit
    Hou Yifan was interviewed at the ChessBase website.
    Her decision to boycott the FIDE women's world championship tournament has been widely reported.
    link please! I have googled it and cannot find it. Will try chessbase.

Have found it, yay!
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Oct '16 09:54
    Your petty jealously and pathological hatred directed against Ms. Mutesi is pathetic.
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    01 Oct '16 13:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Your petty jealously and pathological hatred directed against Ms. Mutesi is pathetic.
    Just where did you get that drivel?

(I have no objection to Phiona Mutesi entering the tournament if she can qualify for

Yeah, you can just see the hatred dripping out of that statement.

If you actually read what she said, she was not dissing Phiona, she was dissing the commercialization coming out of it.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Oct '16 16:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse

If you actually read what she said, she was not dissing Phiona, she was dissing the commercialization coming out of it.
    Oh please. Ms. Mutesi had nothing to do with this subject at all. Please review Duchess' borderline insane posts in the "Queen of Katwe" threads for further details of her demented obsession against this player.
  12. 01 Oct '16 20:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Mchill
    maybe by the year 2050....
    FIDE's President Ilyumzhinov seems to care most about money and his power over FIDE.
    I doubt that significant change will come as long as Ilyumzhinov remains FIDE's leader.
  13. 01 Oct '16 20:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I hope many female players boycott the games in Tehran. I really do.
    For each player who declares that she will boycott the 2017 women's world championship
    tournament in Iran, FIDE (meaning Ilyumzhinov) can appoint a replacement (not necessarily
    from the same country). In the last resort if necessary, Iran (which is fairly strong in women's
    chess) could offer local players to replace everyone who unexpectedly does not show up.
    So I would expect the tournament to begin with a full field of 64 players.

Yes, winning the tournament will be devalued if the highest rated players don't participate.
    But I have not heard many Americans concede that the USA's winning the 1976 Chess Olympiad
    was devalued because the USSR and eastern European countries boycotted it on account
    of it being held in Israel.
  14. 01 Oct '16 21:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse to No1Marauder

The troll No1Marauder likes to keep making absurd cocksure claims about me based upon his prejudices.
    No1Marauder has claimed that I cannot be a non-white woman and that I am (or must be) white.
    No1Marauder cannot cite any evidence where I have described myself as white, so
    No1Marauder likes to act as though tirelessly hurling abuse at me must be 'proof'.

No1Marauder has a long record of hurling lies and other abuse to attack me personally.
    No1Marauder's an extremely abusive troll and pathological liar who's obsessed with hatred of me.
    Indeed, No1Marauder seems more obsessed with hating me than any other of my trolls recently.
    Only No1Marauder has been demented enough to make cocksure accusations, in effect,
    that I must be a weak chess player (who may not even play OTB chess) who must be
    lying, if not also cheating, in order to appear as a not so weak player.

Regarding Phiona Mutesi (for whom No1Marauder has been doing his disingenuous
    utmost to exaggerate her chess strength), I have no objection to her receiving appropriate
    recognition and rewards for *her performance on the chessboard*. My point is that
    Hollywood's public relations machine already has given Phiona Mutesi overwhelming recognition.
    She apparently has been rewarded more than any other FIDE 1622 player in history.

I already know that Phiona Mutesi comes from an extremely harsh background in Uganda.
    But many much stronger chess players also have come from very harsh backgrounds.
    Tigran Petrosian (world champion 1963-69) came from an Armenian family that was
    regarded as very poor even by the standards of the 1930s USSR (when more than a
    few people died of hunger). I also have pointed the extraordinary performance at the
    2016 Olympiad of Syria's women's team (featuring a 16 year old girl, who's clearly
    stronger than Phiona Mutesi), even though Syria's raging civil war may hinder chess
    activity there. (Would Hollywood regard an 'inspiring' story about an Arab girl as being
    as marketable as one about a black African girl to an American audience?)

In the 2017 FIDE women's world championship tournament, there already are three
    places reserved for African players. To be realistic, I would expect the three African
    players to be among the lowest rated, if not the lowest rated, in the tournament.
    As I said, however, I would congratulate Phiona Mutesi *if* she could qualify by her
    performances on the chessboard to be one of these three African players. But even her
    own team (Uganda) did *not* select her to be one of its top three boards at the Olympiad.
    So even Uganda's chess authorities seem to doubt that Phiona Mutesi's strong enough
    to qualify ahead of other women in Uganda, let alone in the the rest of Africa.

I would object (No1Marauder seems to condemn my objection) to FIDE President Ilymzhinov
    appointing Phiona Mutesi--or any other FIDE 1622 player--to enter the 2017 FIDE women's
    world championship tournament if she could not qualify due to her chess performances.
    That appointment would be unfair to many other women (even in Africa) who are much
    stronger than Phiona Mutesi and, in my view (No1Marauder may disagree) more deserving.
    But FIDE Ilyumzhinov could get a public relations 'bounce' (Walt Disney Studios would like it)
    if he appointed Phiona Mutesi to enter the 2017 FIDE women's world championship tournament.

I have no objection to Phiona Mutesi being rewarded for her real achievements in chess.
    I would object to FIDE (Ilyumzhinov) giving a major chess reward (entry in the 2017 women's
    world championship) to Phiona Mutesi on account of her (non-chess) Hollywood celebrity.

As a rough analogy for American sport fans, Tim Tebow was a famous football player
    (Heisman Trophy winner) who still seems to have a devoted fan base. Recently, Tim
    Tebow has been trying to become a major league baseball player. Let's suppose that
    a desperate major league baseball team decided to promote Tim Tebow directly to the
    major leagues (letting him skip the minor leagues) in the hope of getting a 'bounce' in
    attendance and publicity. Everyone knows that Tim Tebow's not ready to play at the
    major league baseball level, just as Phiona Mutesi's (FIDE 1622) not qualified to compete
    in the 2017 FIDE women's world championship. So I would say that promoting Tim Tebow
    because he's a celebrity to major league baseball would be unfair to the other players
    who have to work at advancing through the minor leagues. Likewise, I would say that
    FIDE entering Phiona Mutesi because she's a celebrity into the 2017 FIDE women's
    world championship tournament would be unfair to other (non-celebrity) women players.
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Oct '16 13:28
    The troll No1Marauder likes to keep making absurd cocksure claims about me based upon his prejudices.
    No1Marauder has claimed that I cannot be a non-white woman and that I am (or must be) white.
    No1Marauder cannot cite any evidence where I have described myself as white, so
    No1Marauder likes to act as though tirelessly hurling abuse at me must be 'proof ...[text shortened]... E women's
    world championship tournament would be unfair to other (non-celebrity) women players.
    Yep, just dripping with hatred