1. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 11:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    Tell that to polygamists.

Oh, I forgot, they don't have lobby groups.

Never mind
    Yes, they do - the entire state of Utah.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 12:04
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    So what are the practical differences going to be?
    Bump for Whodey.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 14:10
    Bump for Whodey.
    The state has no business in the marriage business
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 14:32
    The state has no business in the marriage business
    Dude...

I'm just trying to get some clarification on what this means in practical terms.

Can you tell me that??

What will be different, exactly?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '15 15:53
    Dude...

I'm just trying to get some clarification on what this means in practical terms.

Can you tell me that??

What will be different, exactly?
    The state would not recognize marriage. It's just that simple.

When relationships end, the world keeps turning and the state stays out of it. If someone is wronged legally, they will be treated like everyone else.

In terms of legal contracts, everyone is free to draw up with they like with who they like, just like everyone else.

See there, equality. 😵
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 06:26
    Thank you.

Takes ages to get people here to answer the simplest questions...

What does this mean:

Instead of issuing marriage licenses, couples would simply fill out marriage contracts – be they same-sex or opposite sex – that probate judges in the state would then file in the state's official records.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 06:27
    The state would not recognize marriage. It's just that simple.

When relationships end, the world keeps turning and the state stays out of it. If someone is wronged legally, they will be treated like everyone else.

In terms of legal contracts, everyone is free to draw up with they like with who they like, just like everyone else.

See there, equality. 😵
    Sounds like heaven for "divorce lawyers", by the way.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 10:25
    Thank you.

Takes ages to get people here to answer the simplest questions...

What does this mean:

Instead of issuing marriage licenses, couples would simply fill out marriage contracts – be they same-sex or opposite sex – that probate judges in the state would then file in the state's official records.
    Fill out marriage contracts? For what?

If couples wanted a legal contract they could enter one at any time, even before they got married.

Treat them as if they were simply dating. Neither party owes another anything. What is theirs is theirs, even if they are living together. If either party is concerned about their worldly possessions, they could file a legal contract of some kind to protect them before they move in together if they so choose.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 10:31
    Sounds like heaven for "divorce lawyers", by the way.
    What I would do would be to simplify the laws regarding estates so that lawyers are not needed. For example, wills are not available on line so you don't need to hire a lawyer on legal zoom.com. Another similar form could be obtained to separate possessions before moving in with someone.

Incidentally, this might be a good approach for anyone living together for any reason.

Of course, lawyers are like roaches. They will find somewhere to feed and no matter how many times you step on them more are just around the corner. In fact, I once stepped on a roach and walked past the same spot 2 hours later and saw that it was still alive. Part of his body was crushed to the floor but the darned thing kept circling round and round with the other half that was not stuck to the floor. They are impressive creatures no matter how disgusting they may be. 😵
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 11:01

If couples wanted a legal contract they could enter one at any time, even before they got married.

Treat them as if they were simply dating. Neither party owes another anything. What is theirs is theirs, even if they are living together. If either party is concerned about their worldly possessions, they could f ...[text shortened]... le a legal contract of some kind to protect them before they move in together if they so choose.
    "Fill out marriage contracts? For what?"

This was my question to you, Whodey. In case you missed it, I copied that line from your post.

So you tell me what will be different once people start filling out "marriage contracts".

They do. Before they are married, they enter a legal contract. That is more commonly referred to as "marriage before the law".

Treat them as if they were simply dating. Neither party owes another anything. What is theirs is theirs, even if they are living together.

People can already do that. Yet many do want to have legal contracts for all kinds of unforeseen circumstances. Who are you to say they can't do that?

... they could file a legal contract of some kind to protect them before they move in together if they so choose.

Which is what people are doing already. So what's the issue??
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 11:03
    What I would do would be to simplify the laws regarding estates so that lawyers are not needed. For example, wills are not available on line so you don't need to hire a lawyer on legal zoom.com. Another similar form could be obtained to separate possessions before moving in with someone.

Incidentally, this might be a good approach for anyone living toge ...[text shortened]... ot stuck to the floor. They are impressive creatures no matter how disgusting they may be. 😵
    Lawyers are people trying to make money and they're good at it.

As long as they behave according to the law, lawyers can make money anyway they want.

Seems you're a bit jelly over the success of lawyers.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 12:162 edits

Treat them as if they were simply dating. Neither party owes another anything. What is theirs is theirs, even if they are living together. If either party is concerned about their worldly possessions, they could f ...[text shortened]... le a legal contract of some kind to protect them before they move in together if they so choose.
    What you can't seem to understand is that marriage is a contract. People would rather not have to tailor individual contracts to their particular circumstances (that would be a lawyer's dream); they'd rather just be married and have the law stipulate the rights and responsibilities of that contract. Your "no marriage because now gays are allowed to marry" approach besides being petty and vindictive would just make life more difficult and confusing for every married couple.

It doesn't appear that the Alabama law would do anything substantive; marriage contracts would still have to be filed with probate judges to be legally binding. Thus, I'm at a loss as to why this is getting the State out of the marriage business. It isn't and more importantly people don't want the State out of the marriage business.

EDIT: As I suspected, it's just a way to avoid having officials grant marriage licenses to gay couples:

The bill would repeal the requirement that probate judges issue marriage licenses. Instead, they would record civil contracts submitted by couples.

Hill said the proposal is a response to the controversy over same-sex marriages.

He said it would remove probate judges who oppose same-sex marriage from the position of having to issue licenses.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/bill_to_eliminate_marriage_lic.html

It seems pointless; judges who object to issuing marriage licenses to gay couples are going to object to filing their marriage contracts as sure as the sun rises tomorrow.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 12:29
    The Alabama House failed to pass the bill by the required 2/3 majority. http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/bill_to_abolish_marriage_licen.html#incart_related_stories
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 14:443 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What you can't seem to understand is that marriage is a contract. People would rather not have to tailor individual contracts to their particular circumstances (that would be a lawyer's dream); they'd rather just be married and have the law stipulate the rights and responsibilities of that contract. Your "no marriage because now gays are allowed to marry ...[text shortened]... ouples are going to object to filing their marriage contracts as sure as the sun rises tomorrow.
    I know a woman who had cancer and met someone who later wanted to marry her. She wrote her own will in her own hand writing, but did not know the law. However, the person she married did, and knew what he would obtain by marrying her once she died.

To make a long story short, they were married less than a year and the man in question took everything she had from her adult children as they threw her will in the garbage when she died.

People often don't realize what legal contract they are entering when they get married. Things are predetermined by the state that should not be. What the woman in question desired should have been carried out. She was too poor to afford a lawyer to sort these things out on her own and too sick.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '15 14:46
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Alabama House failed to pass the bill by the required 2/3 majority. http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/bill_to_abolish_marriage_licen.html#incart_related_stories
    Imagine that, lawyers voting down a law that would decrease their grizzly business.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree