Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Jun '10 06:54
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/ari-fleischer-fire-helen-thomas_n_601565.html

Ari Fleischer: Fire Helen Thomas

First Posted: 06- 4-10 11:21 PM

Longtime White House scribe Helen Thomas caused more than a few eyebrows to perk up when video surfaced on Friday of her declaring that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and go back to Germany and Poland.

But even as she was trying to walk back the remarks, calls for her firing mounted. Among the more vocal was former Bush Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, who claimed to have a close relationship with Thomas when he was manning the daily briefings.

"She should lose her job over this," Fleischer said in an email. "As someone who is Jewish, and as someone who worked with her and used to like her, I find this appalling."

"She is advocating religious cleansing. How can Hearst stand by her? If a journalist, or a columnist, said the same thing about blacks or Hispanics, they would already have lost their jobs."

2. 05 Jun '10 17:15
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/ari-fleischer-fire-helen-thomas_n_601565.html

Longtime White House scribe Helen Thomas caused more than a few eyebrows to perk up when video surfaced on Friday of her declaring that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and go back to G ...[text shortened]... e same thing about blacks or Hispanics, they would already have lost their jobs."

she's obviously too old to do her job, and her sanity questionable.
  3. 05 Jun '10 17:20
    Originally posted by zeeblebot

Longtime White House scribe Helen Thomas caused more than a few eyebrows to perk up when video surfaced on Friday of her declaring that Jews should "get the hell out of Palestine" and go back to G ...[text shortened]... e same thing about blacks or Hispanics, they would already have lost their jobs."

Why should she apologize, unless she does not really believe this? Of course, if she did not really beieve this, she would not have said it.
  4. 05 Jun '10 17:21
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    she's obviously too old to do her job, and her sanity questionable.
    What about those who feel the same? Should we then question their sanity?
  5. 05 Jun '10 17:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't see why not.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jun '10 02:41 / 1 edit
    Thomas' sanity is not called into question by her harboring of that opinion. Outrageous as it is, it's an opinion; one that many share.

What calls her sanity into question is that she would say it on video when she works in the White House.
  7. 06 Jun '10 03:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    Thomas' sanity is not called into question by her harboring of that opinion. Outrageous as it is, it's an opinion; one that many share.

What calls her sanity into question is that she would say it on video when she works in the White House.
    To be honest, I think there are a great deal of people in Washington who think the same way. The only difference is that when Thomas was asked the question, her "filter" was not working. Perhaps her age has caused her filter to falter. In fact, I can't wait unil Obama ages and becomes a 90 year old man. I can only imagine what will flow out of his unfiltered mouth!!
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jun '10 04:12
    Aren't there a lot of people in Washington D.C. and Tel Aviv who have urged the Palestinians to "get the hell out of (Greater) Israel" and "go back" to Jordan and Egypt?
  9. 06 Jun '10 04:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Aren't there a lot of people in Washington D.C. and Tel Aviv who have urged the Palestinians to "get the hell out of (Greater) Israel" and "go back" to Jordan and Egypt?
    Who?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jun '10 04:36
    Who?
    Well, Benjamin Netanyahu for one. The concept of "repatriation" has been sloshing around ever since 1967. I remember watching Sam Donaldson interview Netanyahu on ABC just prior to him being elected PM the first time. He said that Palestinians already had homelands. I probably don't follow this issue as closely as you, whodey, but I find it hard to believe you haven't heard of this repatriation 'solution'.
  11. 06 Jun '10 04:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, Benjamin Netanyahu for one. The concept of "repatriation" has been sloshing around ever since 1967. I remember watching Sam Donaldson interview Netanyahu on ABC just prior to him being elected PM the first time. He said that Palestinians already had homelands. I probably don't follow this issue as closely as you, whodey, but I find it hard to believe you haven't heard of this repatriation 'solution'.
    You said in DC. I have not heard of anyone in DC suggesting such things.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jun '10 05:00
    You said in DC. I have not heard of anyone in DC suggesting such things.
    OK then. Fine. I have.

The U.S. has been a staunch ally of Israel since 1948. And is still one today. Trawling around at http://freerepublic.com I hear plenty of people peddling the 'Obama has sided with Israel's enemies' thing. Thread after thread of froth about Washington D.C. trying to destroy Israel. You are serving the same kind of stuff up for us here too, it seems. You really, really, really and truly think that "there are a great deal of people in Washington" who think that the "Jews should get out of Israel" and "go back to Germany and Poland"? Or is this one of your "jokes" that you will now distance yourself from?
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jun '10 12:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    Sure there are. Meir Kahane comes to mind. There are jerks on all sides.

But:

1) The sentiment is expressed much more frequently on the Arab Side than on the Israeli side.

2) It is one thing for an angry combatant on one side or the other to such outrageous disregard for the people of the enemy. But it's even worse when it's expressed by a representative of a neutral peacemaking country.
  14. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    06 Jun '10 17:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Sure there are. Meir Kahane comes to mind. There are jerks on all sides.

But:

1) The sentiment is expressed much more frequently on the Arab Side than on the Israeli side.

2) It is one thing for an angry combatant on one side or the other to such outrageous disregard for the people of the enemy. But it's even worse when it's expressed by a representative of a neutral peacemaking country.
    Who started this war in your mind, sh76?

Did the Palestinians do something to the Jews who were sitting in Europe between 1900-1940? What was it? Did they send hate mail and threatening letters? Did the take out disparaging advertisements in Central European newspapers? I think we know the answer to that.

Or did this war start because a whole bunch of Jews from Eastern Europe -- admittedly fleeing terrible conditions -- abruptly descended upon Palestine and threw the place into chaos by declaring themselves a 'Jewish state' and 'inviting' non-Jews to leave the area?

So although suggesting that Israelis go back where they came from is not a realistic solution, I think the statement recognizes where the problem started.

Recognizing who started the problem is instructive because it suggests who should bear the lion's share of the costs of restitution.
  15. 06 Jun '10 17:37
    To be honest, I think there are a great deal of people in Washington who think the same way. The only difference is that when Thomas was asked the question, her "filter" was not working. Perhaps her age has caused her filter to falter. In fact, I can't wait unil Obama ages and becomes a 90 year old man. I can only imagine what will flow out of his unfiltered mouth!!
    Perhaps her age has caused her filter to falter

exactly, which is why I said she was too old for her job.