Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Oct '12 21:42
    is just so cuddly, all Americans should vote for her husband, its as good a reason as
    any i have heard.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Oct '12 21:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    is just so cuddly, all Americans should vote for her husband, its as good a reason as
    any i have heard.
    She's been referred to as the President's "gorilla wife" by one of the right wing posters here.
  3. 27 Oct '12 22:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    She's been referred to as the President's "gorilla wife" by one of the right wing posters here.
    whut? obviously someone with absolutely no taste or apparently education. I think
    she's quite pretty myself and very cuddly. Whoever it was is obviously some kind of
    rocket that's wired to the moon.
  4. 28 Oct '12 21:53
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yeah, I have never seen a First Lady attacked and belittled so much as the right-wingers have done with "Moochelle." Shameful.
  5. 28 Oct '12 23:38
    Originally posted by moon1969 to no1marauder
    Yeah, I have never seen a First Lady attacked and belittled so much
    as the right-wingers have done with "Moochelle." Shameful.
    Eleanor Roosevelt was loathed and vilified by many right-wing Americans,
    particularly on account of her advocacy of greater rights and opportunities
    for African Americans. There was a popular rumour of 'Eleanor Clubs',
    wherein African Americans (who supposedly were duped by Communists)
    allegedly participated in a sinister conspiracy against racial segregation.
    Eleanor Roosevelt's quiet feminism also was derided as extremely 'unladylike'.

"At a political meeting in Georgia during one of my husband's campaigns they
    placed on each seat in the auditorium a crude drawing showing me dancing
    with a Negro. Under the picture it said 'Nig...Lover--Eleanor.' At that time
    I had never danced with a colored person and the drawing was a fabrication
    and an insult to me and to Negroes because of the nasty word they used."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt

"He might have been happier with a wife who was completely uncritical.
    That I was never able to be, and he had to find it in some other people.
    Nevertheless, I think I sometimes acted as a spur, even though the spurring
    was not always wanted or welcome."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt (writing of Franklin Delano Roosevelt)
  6. 29 Oct '12 00:46
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Eleanor Roosevelt was loathed and vilified by many right-wing Americans,
    particularly on account of her advocacy of greater rights and opportunities
    for African Americans. There was a popular rumour of 'Eleanor Clubs',
    wherein African Americans (who supposedly were duped by Communists)
    allegedly participated in a sinister conspiracy against racial seg ...[text shortened]... ays wanted or welcome."
    --Eleanor Roosevelt (writing of Franklin Delano Roosevelt)
    Good point. I almost acknowledged that in my original reply but thought it more effective to say "never". Yet, I did think about Lady Roosevelt.
  7. 29 Oct '12 03:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whut? obviously someone with absolutely no taste or apparently education. I think
    she's quite pretty myself and very cuddly. Whoever it was is obviously some kind of
    rocket that's wired to the moon.
    Be very careful robbie carrobie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With talk like that finnegen will call you a woman hater and wont take your posts seriously. I hope you have not damaged your credibility with him. If you are lucky he might miss it.
  8. 29 Oct '12 12:54
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Be very careful robbie carrobie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With talk like that finnegen will call you a woman hater and wont take your posts seriously. I hope you have not damaged your credibility with him. If you are lucky he might miss it.
    Finnegan, LOL, why does a ragged clown who chases shadows desire to be taken seriously? Finnegan will throw his tambourine in time.
  9. 29 Oct '12 12:56
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Good point. I almost acknowledged that in my original reply but thought it more effective to say "never". Yet, I did think about Lady Roosevelt.
    She was instrumental in helping stem the persecution against Jehovahs Witnesses
    during the second world war.