Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 02:24
    http://kfor.com/2016/09/07/oklahoma-mother-daughter-arrested-after-alleged-incestuous-marriage/

This is a time for celebration for liberals around the country.

I wonder why Obama did not personally call them to congratulate them.

Bigot.
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 02:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://kfor.com/2016/09/07/oklahoma-mother-daughter-arrested-after-alleged-incestuous-marriage/

This is a time for celebration for liberals around the country.

I wonder why Obama did not personally call them to congratulate them.

Bigot.
    He bought them a pair of limited edition Subarus.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 02:351 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    He bought them a pair of limited edition Subarus.
    At tax payer expense no doubt

Progressives don't fool me, they are just trying to build support for abortionists with such stories.
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 05:471 edit
    Only in America.
    And the OP is just as weird as the people he is pointing at. What have hillbilly trash got to do with politics?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 06:37
    Someone stuck a cucumber up their backside.

People who eat cucumbers are so silly!
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 07:55
    Although all whodey cares about is trying to find a connection to Obama, it is an interesting situation. Why should it be illegal for them to marry? The usual excuse trotted out is that incest leads to genetic problems. But there is no risk of that here. Another, more reasonable reason is the exploitation of children. But the daughter was arrested and charged too, so how are they helping her?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 07:57
    I am fairly sure whodey strongly agrees with big government sticking its nose in despite his usual claims that government should not be in the marriage business.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 12:07
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Although all whodey cares about is trying to find a connection to Obama, it is an interesting situation. Why should it be illegal for them to marry? The usual excuse trotted out is that incest leads to genetic problems. But there is no risk of that here. Another, more reasonable reason is the exploitation of children. But the daughter was arrested and charged too, so how are they helping her?
    So how did they get a marraige licence? Were the officials giving the licence too stupid to realize it was mother and daughter?
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 13:19
    Seems like a backdoor route to avoid taking a stand on the question of a government endorsement of incestuous relationships.
    Don't be afraid to put yourself out there.
    Be ahead of the curved.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 14:08
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Seems like a backdoor route to avoid taking a stand on the question of a government endorsement of incestuous relationships.
    Don't be afraid to put yourself out there.
    Be ahead of the curved.
    I, unlike you, have no problem taking a stand. You prefer to live in your flat earth world and bury your head in the sand. I note that you didn't even have the honesty to point out whodeys stupidity in the OP, but instead chimed in trying to blame Obama for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with him.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So how did they get a marraige licence? Were the officials giving the licence too stupid to realize it was mother and daughter?
    How do you expect them to 'realise' it? What makes you think they were 'stupid'? Officials are not expected to do DNA tests when granting marriage licences.
    From a very brief look on the internet it appears most states merely require that you provide identification (this is to stop you marrying under a someone else's name) and prove of age (to stop minors marrying). A few states also require you be checked for STDs.
    No states as far as I can tell, require a family tree to be provided.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 14:34
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Only in America.
    And the OP is just as weird as the people he is pointing at. What have hillbilly trash got to do with politics?
    Bigot

From a secular humanist position, what is so wrong with it?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 14:35
    I am fairly sure whodey strongly agrees with big government sticking its nose in despite his usual claims that government should not be in the marriage business.
    From a secular humanist position, why should government be in the marriage business?

Why is this sort of thing "wrong"?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 14:51
    I, unlike you, have no problem taking a stand. You prefer to live in your flat earth world and bury your head in the sand. I note that you didn't even have the honesty to point out whodeys stupidity in the OP, but instead chimed in trying to blame Obama for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with him.
    You, unlike me, are unafraid to take/make a stand... and yet you still haven't done so.
    The reality continues to elude you, unsurprisingly.
    I've taken a stand on the issue of the earth's shape on the basis of research and analysis, both mine as well as some from others, whereas you've taken a stand on the issue solely on basis of what you've heard from others.
    Literally, zero research of your own.
    Your stand carries no weight, as you've done nothing to confirm or challenge what you've been told.

Tying Obama into such scandalous headlines as this does not qualify as even a stretch: the man routinely finds such aberrant topics with which to align himself.
    It's such an obsession of him, his administration, when none exist, he authorizes government agencies to create the same.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Sep '16 14:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    From a secular humanist position, why should government be in the marriage business?
    Mostly because marriage involves a legal contract which has many legal implications.

Why is this sort of thing "wrong"?
    I never said it was. It seems that you badly wanted to but weren't honest enough to do so.
    I have given two possible reasons why it might be considered wrong:
    1. Genetic risks. But given that we do not deny marriage to people who have a high risk of having genetically disadvantaged children, I find this to be a bad argument.
    2. Exploitation of children: I find this a much better argument, but find the idea of then arresting the child you are trying to protect to be problematic.

I find it rather odd that the people in question chose to get married at all. Why did they feel they needed to make it legal? Where there tax benefits? Did they feel the need to show their friends a marriage certificate? Many of the normal reasons for a legal marriage wouldn't apply.

So, do you have the honesty to give your own opinion, or will you continue to hide behind leading questions, sarcasm and lies?