Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 21:321 edit
    One prolific writer (FreakyKBH) here has expressed his belief that the Earth is flat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5540663/Self-taught-rocket-scientist-propels-1-875-feet.html

"Moment 61-year-old blasts himself off the ground on a homemade steam-powered ROCKET
    at 325mph to prove that the earth is 'shaped liked a frisbee' - before landing with a bang"

"He finally went up - just like the self-taught rocket scientist always
    pledged he would in a mission to prove the Earth is flat.
    He came back down in one piece, too - a little dinged up and his steam-powered
    vessel a little cracked up."

"'Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is,' he said.
    'Do I know for sure? No. That's why I want to go up in space.
  2. Stargazing
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 21:43
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    One prolific writer (FreakyKBH) here has expressed his belief that the Earth is flat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5540663/Self-taught-rocket-scientist-propels-1-875-feet.html

"Moment 61-year-old blasts himself off the ground on a homemade steam-powered ROCKET
    at 325mph to prove that the earth is 'shaped liked a frisbee' - before landing ...[text shortened]... sbee? I believe it is,' he said.
    Honstly, it would not surprise me if that was actually FreakyKBH
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 22:492 edits

at 325mph to prove that the earth is 'shaped liked a frisbee' - before landing ...[text shortened]... sbee? I believe it is,' he said.
    He actually lived! Amazing.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 03:13

Let me guess Duchess. He's just another stupid white man, right? 😴
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 05:12
    I’m all for shooting flat Earthers into space in steam powered rockets.

But why stop at them?
    All religious people and all capitalists... shoot them into space.

It would be so much better for the planet and it would cut down on traffic jams.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 13:55
    Yeah, but don't just shoot 'em straight up; they'd fall back down and might survive. Shoot 'em off the edge; that way, they can't fall back.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 15:09
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    I’m all for shooting flat Earthers into space in steam powered rockets.

But why stop at them?
    All religious people and all capitalists... shoot them into space.

It would be so much better for the planet and it would cut down on traffic jams.
    If you'd shoot all capitalists into space, you'd really cut down on traffic jams as, within a few decades, nobody would be producing cars.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 20:10
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Let me guess Duchess. He's just another stupid white man, right? 😴
    The tireless racist troll Mchill pops up again. I wrote nothing about him being white.
    Did Mchill jump to the conclusion that anyone 'stupid' is most likely white?
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 20:53
    Originally posted by @sh76
    If you'd shoot all capitalists into space, you'd really cut down on traffic jams as, within a few decades, nobody would be producing cars.
    Actually no. Communist East Germany did produce cars. They were really crappy cars, but cars.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 21:064 edits
    Originally posted by @moonbus to Sh76
    Actually no. Communist East Germany did produce cars. They were really crappy cars, but cars.
    Western sneering toward technology in Communist eastern Europe tends to be exaggerated.
    Why should a capitalist system be more necessary to produce good cars than, say, good tanks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

"The Trabant ... is an automobile which was produced from 1957 to 1990 by former East German
    car manufacturer VEB Sachsenring Automobilwerke Zwickau. Although it is often seen as
    symbolic of the defunct East Germany and the collapse of the Eastern Bloc in general, it
    was a sought-after car in East Germany before the fall of the Berlin Wall. The Trabant had
    a hard plastic body mounted on a one-piece steel chassis (a so-called unibody or monocoque),
    front-wheel drive, a transverse engine, and independent suspension – unusual features at that time."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_Koral

"The Yugo was marketed in the United States from 1985−1992 by Malcolm Bricklin, with a total of 141,651 sold."

It's a matter of priorities. The USSR was better at producing tanks than cars because
    the state regarded it as more important to have good (or better) tanks than cars.
    If the USSR had invested the same effort into designing and producing cars for civilians,
    then I have no reason to believe that Soviet engineers could not have done it rather well.
    Nonetheless, the USSR produced some fairly successful cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada

"Today LADA vehicles are positioned as affordable, and as offering good value for money.[3]
    The keys to its success were: competitive price, reliability, simple DIY-friendly mechanics
    and unpretentious functionality. The car was built under licence in several other countries.
    Competitive pricing and ease of service made Ladas common as police cars, taxis and a range
    of public service and civil defence vehicles in many parts of Europe, Africa and the Caribbean."

A professor of Polish history told me that around 1970 (or earlier), Polish leaders decided
    to plan the economy by making Poland a leader in Europe or even the world in television.
    The hope was that Polish televisions would become among the best in the world, and Poland
    could earn money by exporting them, first to eastern Europe, then to the rest of Europe,
    then perhaps to the rest of the world. Polish engineers had confidence in their abilities.
    But the Poles failed to foresee the boom in Japanese electronics (including television).
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 03:50
    Trabis were notoriously unreliable, unsafe, polluters. Crap cars.
  12. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 04:02
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Yeah, but don't just shoot 'em straight up; they'd fall back down and might survive. Shoot 'em off the edge; that way, they can't fall back.
    Hahaha!

Classic!
  13. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 04:03
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Yeah... no communist state wver produced cars...
  14. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 04:10
    The question to how good a car is, is this: would James Bond drive it?

Austin Martin? Yes.
    Ferarri? God no.

Trabant?: Yes
    Suzuki swift: No.

CV2: of course!
    DS4: don’t be silly.

As you can plainly see, the Trabant is better than a Ferrari.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 04:18
    The Trabant was designed in the mid-1950s.
    It's unfair to compare it to contemporary automobiles.
    It should be compared to automobiles of its time.

When Ralph Nader wrote _Unsafe at Any Speed_ (1965), he criticized
    the neglect of safety by American capitalist automakers.