Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 03:041 edit
    A risk of getting a tattoo in a language that one does not understand
    is being exposed to ridicule over misunderstandings.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/31/ariana-grande-mocked-for-japanese-tattoo-typo-leave-me-and-my-grill-alone

"Ariana Grande mocked for Japanese tattoo typo: ‘Leave me and my grill alone’
    Singer was hoping for a Japanese translation of the title of her hit 7 Rings.
    Instead she ended up with a tattoo which means ‘small charcoal grill’"

"Too bad pop star Ariana Grande is vegan – she just tattooed an
    accidental homage to a Japanese barbeque grill on her palm."
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 18:12
    @duchess64 said

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/31/ariana-grande-mocked-for-japanese-tattoo-typo-leave-me-and-my-grill-alone

Singer was hoping for a Japanese translation of ...[text shortened]... rande is vegan – she just tattooed an
    A slight digression, but I once did a home visit to a client who proudly showed me a room he had decorated himself. He had hung wallpaper that featured Chinese characters and had done a good job in hanging it.

Didn't have the heart to tell him that he had hung it upside down.

😲
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 19:062 edits
    @duchess64 said

Singer was hoping for a Japanese translation of ...[text shortened]... rande is vegan – she just tattooed an
    Last week at the gym, I saw a guy who had the kanji for "snake" (蛇) on his shoulder. I can't imagine why.

One older man I know got a tattoo on his arm. I asked him what he thought it meant, and he said "father" (as an aside, why would he want that tattooed on him?). I informed him that his tattoo (爺) unfortunately means "old man". Being in his 50's, he wasn't very happy.

I wouldn't want to get a tattoo because you usually cannot make use of onsen (a bathhouse) if you have one. Tattoos are forbidden.

If someone would like to get a Chinese or Japanese tattoo, they should probably make the effort to study the language a bit first.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 19:08
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    A slight digression, but I once did a home visit to a client who proudly showed me a room he had decorated himself. He had hung wallpaper that featured Chinese characters and had done a good job in hanging it.

😲
    My bedroom is decorated with paintings of Chinese characters, and I can confirm that they are the right way up.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 19:12
    @ashiitaka said
    My bedroom is decorated with paintings of Chinese characters, and I can confirm that they are the right way up.
    Goed van je.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 19:55
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

😲
    A heart WAMING story. 😆
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 21:33
    This thread reminded me of the abomination that is my username. Some of you might know that it originally had only 'i', but I logged in one morning to find that the mods had changed it to have two letter i's because it was triggering the automod (evidently because of the hidden expletive, which was not intended, of course). The original name was suggested by a friend who thought I looked a lot like the main character from a Studio Ghibli movie, もののけ姫 (Princess Mononoke).

I should probably ask for my username to be changed someday. I cringe every time I see it.
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 21:41
    @duchess64 said

Just one more reason not to get tattoos at all.
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 21:511 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    Goed van je.
    I think Afrikaans/Dutch is an example of asymmetric intelligibility. I've heard that Afrikaans sounds old fashioned or childlike to Dutch people and that it is easy to understand. For me, the Dutch twang can be a little tricky to catch. When written, it's understandable, but the Dutch pronunciation of some words is just a little bit too different for me to catch in a quick conversation. I probably only understand 60-70% of spoken Dutch. To a native speaker of Afrikaans, perhaps that figure is higher (when I listen to Dutch, I am translating to English 'through' Afrikaans, which is a bit clumsy).

My best friend in the UK is a girl (now a woman, I guess) from Flanders. Since I had not yet lived in South Africa when we became friends, I could not speak Afrikaans. However, my mother could because she moved to SA from Israel. My mother would speak to her in Afrikaans and she would reply in Flemish. They could understand each other well enough. Perhaps the accent is just different?
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 22:06
    @ashiitaka said
    This thread reminded me of the abomination that is my username. Some of you might know that it originally had only 'i', but I logged in one morning to find that the mods had changed it to have two letter i's because it was triggering the automod (evidently because of the hidden expletive, which was not intended, of course). The original name was suggested by a friend who th ...[text shortened]... oke).

I should probably ask for my username to be changed someday. I cringe every time I see it.
    I had several posts deleted (as obscene) by RHP after spelling out Ash's full name.
    That's why I refer to him as 'Ash'.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 22:13
    In an earlier post, I mentioned the story of an Italian academic who did mathematics
    (writing in mathematical notation) on his airline flight. Another passenger assumed
    that he must be writing in Arabic and reported him as a likely terrorist.
    He was detained and interrogated at length before the US authorities accepted his explanation.

Arabic is written from right-to-left. Of course, a paranoid racist could argue that
    he wrote from left-to-right in order to disguise that he was writing in Arabic.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Jan '19 23:002 edits
    @ashiitaka said
    Last week at the gym, I saw a guy who had the kanji for "snake" (蛇) on his shoulder. I can't imagine why.

One older man I know got a tattoo on his arm. I asked him what he thought it meant, and he said "father" (as an aside, why would he want that tattooed on him?). I informed him that his tattoo (爺) unfortunately means "old man". Being in his 50's, he wasn't ver ...[text shortened]... usually cannot make use of onsen (a bathhouse) if you have one. Tattoos are forbidden.

Sometimes a person shows me one's tattoo and asks whether I like it.
    As far as I can tell, the tattoo often does not mean what one assumes that it does.
    I suspect that this person would feel upset if one knew that one had paid to get
    gibberish imprinted upon one's body.

"If someone would like to get a Chinese or Japanese tattoo, they
    should probably make the effort to study the language a bit first."
    --Ash

That's far too much work for most people.
    Indeed, most Americans seem persistently unable to learn the fact that Chinese
    names are customarily written with the family name first and the given name last.

I have met some people who seek or have tattoos in Chinese or Japanese while
    continuing to hold extremely ignorant prejudiced (if not racist) stereotypes.
    Seeking such a tattoo is just making a pop culture fashion statement.
    It shows nothing necessarily about any appreciation or respect for Chinese or Japanese culture.

I would not be too surprised to find a neo-Nazi 'skinhead' with a tattoo in Chinese or Japanese.
  13. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    01 Feb '19 19:45

Removed by poster

14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    01 Feb '19 21:36
    @duchess64 said

"Too bad pop star Ariana Grande is vegan – she just tattooed an
    "barbeque"? in the Guardian?

Surely not !

Barbecue please!