Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    31 Jan '17 22:49
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/30/travel-ban-airport-protests-disruption

    "Forget protest. Trump's actions warrant a general national strike:
    Political movements rarely succeed without causing discomfort and inconvenience "
    --Francine Prose
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    281446
    31 Jan '17 23:00
    I just charter a plane. Problem solved.
  3. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1406
    31 Jan '17 23:13
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/30/travel-ban-airport-protests-disruption

    "Forget protest. Trump's actions warrant a general national strike:
    Political movements rarely succeed without causing discomfort and inconvenience "
    --Francine Prose
    "Forget protest. Trump's actions warrant a general national strike:



    An interesting idea, thankfully if the lawmakers in Congress feel they won't be reelected if they support Trump's actions (which is beginning to happen) they will no longer support him, and his power will be reduced a great deal. American is over 200 years old and has endured far greater dangers than this misguided President.
  4. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    01 Feb '17 22:41
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/01/worried-american-democracy-study-activist-techniques

    "It may only take 3.5% of the population to topple a dictator – with civil resistance."
    --Erica Chenoweth

    "Many people across the United States are despondent about the new president – and
    the threat to democracy his rise could represent. But they shouldn’t be. At no time in
    recorded history have people been more equipped to effectively resist injustice using
    civil resistance."

    "Nonviolent resistance does not happen overnight or automatically. It requires an
    informed and prepared public, keen to the strategy and dynamics of its political power.
    Although nonviolent campaigns often begin with a committed and experienced core,
    successful ones enlarge the diversity of participants, maintain nonviolent discipline and
    expand the types of nonviolent actions they use.

    They constantly increase their base of supporters, build coalitions, leverage social
    networks, and generate connections with those in the opponent’s network who may be
    ambivalent about cooperating with oppressive policies.

    Crucially, nonviolent resistance works not by melting the heart of the opponent but by
    constraining their options. A leader and his inner circle cannot pass and implement
    policies alone. They require cooperation and obedience from many people to carry out
    plans and policies."
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    02 Feb '17 00:45
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/30/travel-ban-airport-protests-disruption

    "Forget protest. Trump's actions warrant a general national strike:
    Political movements rarely succeed without causing discomfort and inconvenience "
    --Francine Prose
    Enough of us say screw you to make auch a strike impossible.

    Good luck with your imaginary world.
  6. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    02 Feb '17 01:16
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/01/worried-american-democracy-study-activist-techniques

    "It may only take 3.5% of the population to topple a dictator – with civil resistance."
    --Erica Chenoweth

    "Many people across the United States are despondent about the new president – and
    the threat to democracy his rise could represent. But ...[text shortened]... one. They require cooperation and obedience from many people to carry out
    plans and policies."
    Be careful of martial law... I'll bring my guns and support the President.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    02 Feb '17 01:32
    Originally posted by mchill
    "Forget protest. Trump's actions warrant a general national strike:



    An interesting idea, thankfully if the lawmakers in Congress feel they won't be reelected if they support Trump's actions (which is beginning to happen) they will no longer support him, and his power will be reduced a great deal. American is over 200 years old and has endured far greater dangers than this misguided President.
    The Eatablishment never supported him.

    I have an idea, what if every country that thinks Hillary should have won has a massive month long strike.
  8. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1406
    02 Feb '17 11:57
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Be careful of martial law... I'll bring my guns and support the President.
    Your guns??!! Ohhhhh. I'm shaking in my boots!! 😲
  9. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    02 Feb '17 16:40
    Originally posted by mchill
    Your guns??!! Ohhhhh. I'm shaking in my boots!! 😲
    Brave on the internet, but in real life you would cry like a little girl...
  10. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Feb '17 17:07
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "Forget protest. Trump's actions warrant a general national strike:
    Political movements rarely succeed without causing discomfort and inconvenience "
    --Francine Prose
    But then again, discomfort and inconvenience does not always result in successful political movements. Zimbabwe is a good place to study this where many people tried to sabotage Mugabe by disrupting the economy, but they actually strengthened Mugabe in the process. I suspect the same would happen in the US. Trumps backing are mostly people who feel that they have the short end of the stick and they would be negatively affected by such a strike and would support Trump even more.
  11. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    02 Feb '17 17:11
    Worse, I really don't see how a strike could hurt Trump and his cronies. He is not dependant on the US economy.
    He has been clever enough to largely select people who, should the Trump administration fail, do not have a hope of ever reentering politics, so for them, the best strategy is to hold on for as long as possible. The only people who can be influenced are those that hope to stand for reelection. Again, they are just as easily influenced by protests as by strike action.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    02 Feb '17 19:381 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Enough of us say screw you to make auch a strike impossible.

    Good luck with your imaginary world.
    Yeah but your states are welfare states. The economic productivity is happening in places like CA and NY.

    Who cares if rednecks go on strike? All they do is whine about how they can't get a job because liberals keep out competing them and how they need Daddy Trump to protect them from the free market.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    02 Feb '17 19:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Worse, I really don't see how a strike could hurt Trump and his cronies. He is not dependant on the US economy.
    He has been clever enough to largely select people who, should the Trump administration fail, do not have a hope of ever reentering politics, so for them, the best strategy is to hold on for as long as possible. The only people who can be influ ...[text shortened]... stand for reelection. Again, they are just as easily influenced by protests as by strike action.
    Without liberal money his government is broke. What are they going to do?

    The prisons are full and Trump hotels make excellent targets for anarchists (e.g. the Black Bloc that shut down a speech in UC Berkeley recently) if necessary.
  14. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    02 Feb '17 20:51
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/01/khizr-khan-trump-travel-ban

    "Khizr Khan, Gold Star father, warns of anti-Trump boycott after travel ban:
    Speaking outside US Capitol, father who opposed Trump during 2016 campaign says:
    ‘We will boycott anything and everything Trump if this continues’ "

    "Although there have been massive protests in major cities since the ban was announced,
    a Reuters/Ipsos poll published on Tuesday found 49% either “strongly” or “somewhat”
    agreed with the executive order, with 41% “strongly” or “somewhat” against. "

    "While the White House insisted its motivations were not based on religion, the text of
    the order made clear that religious minorities in Muslim-majority countries would be
    prioritized for entry once the ban was lifted.

    Trump himself said Christians would be given preference in an interview released on
    the day his action was announced. As a candidate, he called for “a total and complete
    shutdown” of Muslims entering the US and refused to back down from his pledge
    following his victory in November."

    "Minnesota representative Keith Ellison, who in 2006 became the first Muslim elected to
    the US Congress and spoke before Khan on Wednesday, said Trump’s objective was undeniable.

    “I don’t know why Donald Trump is shy suddenly about calling this Muslim ban a Muslim
    ban,” said Ellison, a candidate to be the next chair of the Democratic National
    Committee. “It is a Muslim ban. He called it a Muslim ban." "
  15. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    02 Feb '17 21:34
    On the pop culture front, Sarah Silverman (American Jewish comedienne) has expressed
    apparent approval of a coup d'etat to overthrow US President Trump.

    "WAKE UP & JOIN THE RESISTANCE. ONCE THE MILITARY IS W US FASCISTS GET
    OVERTHROWN. MAD KING & HIS HANDLERS GO BYE BYE,"
    --Sarah Silverman (on Twitter)
Back to Top