Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Jan '17 12:331 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/fox-news-shepard-smith-defends-cnn-against-donald-235545150.html

    Fox News anchor Shepard Smith, speaking for the network, took issue with President-elect Donald Trump’s attack on CNN reporter Jim Acosta during Wednesday’s press conference.

    “CNN’s exclusive reporting on the Russian matter was separate and different from the document dump executed by an online news property,” Smith said on the air on Wednesday. “Though we at Fox News cannot confirm CNN’s report, it is our observation that its correspondents followed journalistic standards, and that neither they nor any other journalist should be subjected to belittling and delegitimizing by the president-elect of the United States.”

    Trump refused to answer Acosta’s question and called CNN “fake news.” Later, Acosta said that Trump’s press secretary, Sean Spicer, threatened to have him removed from the press conference if he continued to ask Trump a question.

    Trump’s anger was over allegations that Russian agents had gathered compromising information about him — claims that have not been verified. On Tuesday, CNN reported that intelligence officials had included a two-page summary of the claims in an intelligence briefing given to Trump and President Barack Obama. Soon after CNN’s story was published, BuzzFeed posted what it said was the 35-page, unverified dossier on which the two-page summary was based.

    While Trump lashed out at CNN and BuzzFeed, CNN defended its reporting, issuing a statement in which it said that “CNN’s decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than Buzzfeed’s decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using Buzzfeed’s decision to deflect from CNN’s reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organizations.”

    Meanwhile, some journalism watchdogs are calling out other members of the media for not coming to Acosta’s defense during the press conference.

    Pete Vernon wrote in Columbia Journalism Review that journalism “is a competitive business, but it’s not a zero-sum game. We all campaign for scoops, access, and sources, but we are, effectively, on the same side. If Trump ignores or blacklists outlets he deems hostile, and others in the industry don’t defend them, the public loses out on the perspective those reporters bring, and we as an industry lose out in our efforts to hold power accountable.”
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Jan '17 12:35
    This statement by Smith just befuddles me.

    “Though we at Fox News cannot confirm CNN’s report, it is our observation that its correspondents followed journalistic standards, and that neither they nor any other journalist should be subjected to belittling and delegitimizing by the president-elect of the United States.”

    So it's OK for a news organization to spread stories that have not been confirmed?

    CNN should not be belittled but they can defame the President of the US?

    Trump should sue.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    12 Jan '17 12:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/fox-news-shepard-smith-defends-cnn-against-donald-235545150.html

    Fox News anchor Shepard Smith, speaking for the network, took issue with President-elect Donald Trump’s attack on CNN reporter Jim Acosta during Wednesday’s press conference.

    “CNN’s exclusive reporting on the Russian matter was separate and different from the d ...[text shortened]... those reporters bring, and we as an industry lose out in our efforts to hold power accountable.”
    The press is the only industry specifically mentioned by name in the Constitution.

    There's a reason for this. The founders imagined the press to be the final bulwark against corruption in government. Too bad that prior to this, most news outlets have not taken this commission as seriously as we might have hoped. Arguably, the press is who is responsible for placing this demagogue into the White House in the first place by giving him billions of dollars worth of free campaign advertising.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/upshot/measuring-donald-trumps-mammoth-advantage-in-free-media.html?_r=0
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    12 Jan '17 12:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    This statement by Smith just befuddles me.

    “Though we at Fox News cannot confirm CNN’s report, it is our observation that its correspondents followed journalistic standards, and that neither they nor any other journalist should be subjected to belittling and delegitimizing by the president-elect of the United States.”

    So it's OK for a news organization ...[text shortened]...

    CNN should not be belittled but they can defame the President of the US?

    Trump should sue.
    CNN did NOT "spread stories that cannot be confirmed". In fact, they refused to "spread the story" precisely BECAUSE it had not been confirmed. All they said was that there WAS a story, which was legitimate news.

    Stop lying. It's sad that you support Trump and his continued unsurprising attempts to "delegitimize" the press.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    12 Jan '17 13:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    CNN did NOT "spread stories that cannot be confirmed". In fact, they refused to "spread the story" precisely BECAUSE it had not been confirmed. All they said was that there WAS a story, which was legitimate news.

    Stop lying. It's sad that you support Trump and his continued unsurprising attempts to "delegitimize" the press.
    So CNN is supposed to spread rumors?

    Just look around this forum and see how many people, including yourself, who believe the gossip being spread by CNN.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39965
    12 Jan '17 13:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    This statement by Smith just befuddles me.

    “Though we at Fox News cannot confirm CNN’s report, it is our observation that its correspondents followed journalistic standards, and that neither they nor any other journalist should be subjected to belittling and delegitimizing by the president-elect of the United States.”

    So it's OK for a news organization ...[text shortened]...

    CNN should not be belittled but they can defame the President of the US?

    Trump should sue.
    From your post: CNN reported that intelligence officials had included a two-page summary of the claims in an intelligence briefing given to Trump and President Barack Obama.

    What part of that is not confirmed? I'm not even aware it has been denied by anybody.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    12 Jan '17 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So CNN is supposed to spread rumors?

    Just look around this forum and see how many people, including yourself, who believe the gossip being spread by CNN.
    They DID NOT "spread rumor". And they actually REFUSED to "spread gossip" because it WAS unconfirmed. Why the hell aren't you idiots calling out Buzzfeed for printing the entire dossier, instead of calling out CNN for merely reporting that there was a summary of the dossier?

    Can't you even read English?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Jan '17 13:33
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    From your post: CNN reported that intelligence officials had included a two-page summary of the claims in an intelligence briefing given to Trump and President Barack Obama.

    What part of that is not confirmed? I'm not even aware it has been denied by anybody.
    From "The Hill"

    CNN on Tuesday night reported that intelligence officials had briefed Trump on an unverified dossier alleging that the Russian government is in possession of compromising information about him.

    The 35-page document — made up of a collection of memos filled with explosive claims about the billionaire's relationship to Russia — has reportedly been circulating among journalists and officials for at least a few weeks.

    But the sourcing on the document is unclear and likely unverifiable. CNN reported that it is based primarily on memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative that were intended as opposition research into Trump.

    The president-elect on Tuesday night immediately blasted the report, tweeting, "FAKE NEWS - A TOTAL POLITICAL WITCH HUNT!"

    During the press conference, Trump specifically called out CNN for pushing the story, saying it was "disgraceful that the intelligence agencies allowed any information that turned out to be so false and fake out."
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    12 Jan '17 13:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    They DID NOT "spread rumor". And they actually REFUSED to "spread gossip" because it WAS unconfirmed. Why the hell aren't you idiots calling out Buzzfeed for printing the entire dossier, instead of calling out CNN for merely reporting that there was a summary of the dossier?

    Can't you even read English?
    Did you hear? I can't say that it is true, but I was told...
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    12 Jan '17 13:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    From "The Hill"

    CNN on Tuesday night reported that intelligence officials had briefed Trump on an unverified dossier alleging that the Russian government is in possession of compromising information about him.

    The 35-page document — made up of a collection of memos filled with explosive claims about the billionaire's relationship to Russia — has reporte ...[text shortened]... the intelligence agencies allowed any information that turned out to be so false and fake out."
    All you Trump supporters in here completely have the wrong end of the stick, as it were.

    All because Trump shot off his mouth without thinking, as usual, and you fools jump out trying to defend the typical BS he said.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    12 Jan '17 13:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Did you hear? I can't say that it is true, but I was told...
    You "were told". God forbid you rabid Trump sycophants understand reality before shooting off your mouths.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Jan '17 13:401 edit
    One of the allegations was Michael Cohen was the front man to the Russians and had visited there. Michael Cohen has never even been in Russia.

    These documents have been around for a while now, and are not verifiable and full of known untruths. Why is CNN doing this now?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Jan '17 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    All you Trump supporters in here completely have the wrong end of the stick, as it were.

    All because Trump shot off his mouth without thinking, as usual, and you fools jump out trying to defend the typical BS he said.
    I'm not a Trump supporter.

    Ted Cruz should have sued Trump when he suggested that his father helped kill JFK.

    I'm tired of this crap
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    12 Jan '17 13:42
    Trump should just stop holding news conferences and just tweet.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35850
    12 Jan '17 13:481 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    One of the allegations was Michael Cohen was the front man to the Russians and had visited there. Michael Cohen has never even been in Russia.

    These documents have been around for a while now, and are not verifiable. Why is CNN doing this now?
    For the last time.

    CNN is not doing anything, but reporting that there was a two-page document summarizing the 35 page dossier and that intelligence officials had included this in their report to Trump and Obama. This is all fact.

    Buzzfeed, on the other hand, actually published the entire 35 page dossier, even though it contained unsubstantiated information. Buzzfeed is the one Trump SHOULD have lashed out against, but he didn't. He lashed out at the CNN reporter only because he was in the room and CNN did report that there was a summary of a dossier.

    CNN is NOT "doing this now." Buzzfeed is "doing this now." CNN only reported the actual news that this summary existed and that intelligence officials used the summary in their report to Trump and Obama.

    Trump needs to pick his targets a bit more carefully before unloading on people.

    And you sycophants need to learn how to read a news report.
Back to Top