Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 14 Jan '13 15:20
    France, which has repeatedly said it has abandoned its role as the policeman of its former African colonies, convened a U.N. Security Council meeting for Monday to discuss Mali.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/14/us-mali-rebels-idUSBRE90D0FX20130114

    If Mali is no longer a colony of France why do they get involved? How is France protecting it's interests by military intervention in Mali?
  2. 14 Jan '13 16:22
    This isn't about protecting interests, it's just about phallic compensation.
  3. 15 Jan '13 00:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    This isn't about protecting interests, it's just about phallic compensation.
    So it is just coincidence it is a former colony? Maybe it still is a colony.
  4. 15 Jan '13 02:17
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    So it is just coincidence it is a former colony? Maybe it still is a colony.
    Anyone that set out to conquer the world and have colonies has had it all
    backfire on them.

    Look at Britain and look at France?

    Their countries are now filled with people from all the colonies
    that they used to rule and they regret it now, both of them.

    They would never say it publicly though.

    Why do you suppose far right political organizations are on the rise in
    both of these countries?

    They make the KKK look like Walt Disney.
  5. 15 Jan '13 03:01
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    France, which has repeatedly said it has abandoned its role as the policeman of its former African colonies, convened a U.N. Security Council meeting for Monday to discuss Mali.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/14/us-mali-rebels-idUSBRE90D0FX20130114

    If Mali is no longer a colony of France why do they get involved? How is France protecting it's interests by military intervention in Mali?
    North Africa is the 'underbelly' of France. If al-Qaeda gets a foothold there, they can spread northward.
  6. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    15 Jan '13 06:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    France, which has repeatedly said it has abandoned its role as the policeman of its former African colonies, convened a U.N. Security Council meeting for Monday to discuss Mali.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/14/us-mali-rebels-idUSBRE90D0FX20130114

    If Mali is no longer a colony of France why do they get involved? How is France protecting it's interests by military intervention in Mali?
    There are thousands of French nationals in Mali, which is one reason why France got involved. Beyond that, France kind of has a "special relationship" with most of its former colonies, and many of the former colonies still retain French as an official language.
  7. 15 Jan '13 12:50
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    There are thousands of French nationals in Mali, which is one reason why France got involved. Beyond that, France kind of has a "special relationship" with most of its former colonies, and many of the former colonies still retain French as an official language.
    You don't think gold is a factor?

    http://www.investcom.com/moneyshow/gold_mali.htm
  8. 15 Jan '13 12:55
    Originally posted by Bluntwrap
    North Africa is the 'underbelly' of France. If al-Qaeda gets a foothold there, they can spread northward.
    Kind of like how Reagan said the Sandinistas were going to spread northward from Nicaragua and invade the USA?

    You believe the most absurd propaganda our government tells us. Is there anything our government says that you reject?
  9. 15 Jan '13 13:03
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Anyone that set out to conquer the world and have colonies has had it all
    backfire on them.

    Look at Britain and look at France?

    Their countries are now filled with people from all the colonies
    that they used to rule and they regret it now, both of them.

    They would never say it publicly though.

    Why do you suppose far right political org ...[text shortened]... ations are on the rise in
    both of these countries?

    They make the KKK look like Walt Disney.
    Have you ever considered the possibility that Britain still holds its colonies without military occupations? Perhaps France is a colony of Britain and controls French colonies that still exist and you are led to believe they don't.

    The best way to continue an empire is to fool people into believing it no longer exists. People have a natural aversion to imperialism. That is why it is best to keep empire building covert instead of overt.
  10. 15 Jan '13 14:22
    Senegal, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and Guinea have all offered troops.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/us-mali-rebels-idUSBRE90D0FX20130115

    All of these countries that offered troops are former French colonies with one exception.
  11. 15 Jan '13 18:50
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Anyone that set out to conquer the world and have colonies has had it all
    backfire on them.

    Look at Britain and look at France?

    Their countries are now filled with people from all the colonies
    that they used to rule and they regret it now, both of them.

    They would never say it publicly though.

    Why do you suppose far right political org ...[text shortened]... ations are on the rise in
    both of these countries?

    They make the KKK look like Walt Disney.
    There isn't a serious far right in Britain your talking tosh !.
  12. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    15 Jan '13 19:34
    http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/africa/mali-shariah-amputees-and-displaced-speak-out
  13. 15 Jan '13 20:12
    Originally posted by phil3000
    There isn't a serious far right in Britain your talking tosh !.
    The only Tosh I have is my Toshiba laptop.

    There is a rising tide of extreme right elements in Britain.

    Combat 18 and similar groups, the BNP and even UKIP has benefited from
    a rise in their polls. You should open your eyes a little wider.
  14. 15 Jan '13 20:49
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    The only Tosh I have is my Toshiba laptop.

    There is a rising tide of extreme right elements in Britain.

    Combat 18 and similar groups, the BNP and even UKIP has benefited from
    a rise in their polls. You should open your eyes a little wider.
    You are speaking "out the back of your neck man " ....
  15. 15 Jan '13 21:45
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    There are thousands of French nationals in Mali, which is one reason why France got involved. Beyond that, France kind of has a "special relationship" with most of its former colonies, and many of the former colonies still retain French as an official language.
    I once asked a Francophone academic from Rwanda (the rest of his Tutsi family
    there was killed in the 1994 genocide) if there still was any Flemish influence in
    Rwanda. He said that the Belgian colonial rulers had attempted to impose Flemish,
    but the Rwandan people had resisted it, given that Flemish, unlike French, is not a
    language of wide significance. This resistance may be compared to black South
    Africans resisting the imposition of Afrikaans, though not English, under apartheid.

    Given that France seemed too sympathetic toward the Hutu nationalists who killed
    his Tutsi family, one should not assume that the fact that he's fluent in French and
    was partly educated in France means that he supported France's agenda in Africa.