Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Sep '09 15:02
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/opinion/30friedman.html

Congratulations to the NY Times OP-ED page. I didn't think the "mainstream" left-leaning media could possibly outflank the far right in terms of scaremongering and irrelevant argument and analogy.

But, they've done it.

They used the assassination card against Hillary when she referenced Bobby Kennedy in a perfectly legitimate and correct historical comparison (Hillary was saying that history shows that the primary is not necessarily over in March, as Bobby was still in the race in June; and for that she was accused of advocating Obama's assassination). And, now, Mr. Friedman trots it out again in another completely irrelevant context. Well done, Tom.

I guess if people watch Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann for "news," they'll probably swallow this tripe too.
  2. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    30 Sep '09 15:08
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/opinion/30friedman.html

Congratulations to the NY Times OP-ED page. I didn't think the "mainstream" left-leaning media could possibly outflank the far right in terms of scaremongering and irrelevant argument and analogy.

But, they've done it.

They used the assassination card against Hillary when she referenced Bobby Ke ...[text shortened]... h Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann for "news," they'll probably swallow this tripe too.
    Of course they will. The lazy thinker can be liberal just as easily as conservative. A partisan pawn in the culture war can take direction from MSN as easily as from Fox.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    30 Sep '09 15:10
    As a professional poker player on the south east Asian circuit I don't like card game metaphors. They just touch too closely on reality for me.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Sep '09 15:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    As a professional poker player on the south east Asian circuit I don't like card game metaphors. They just touch too closely on reality for me.

Aren't you amazed that no one said a word about your assertion of being a Hollywood agent on the other thread? I thought for sure that certain posters were going to go apoplectic. I actually giggled in anticipation.

I have a few more suggestions for the future:

- "Back in the days I was consulting for the Mossad..."

- "When I was an MP in the House of Commons..."

- "While I was managing the Brooklyn Dodgers..."
  5. 30 Sep '09 18:02 / 1 edit

Aren't you amazed that no one said a word about your assertion of being a Hollywood agent on the other thread? I thought for sure that certain posters were going to go apoplectic. I actually giggled in anticipation.

I spotted it right off along w/this last one. He is trying to make a mockery out of it now playing the bafoon to cover his sins from the past where he was caught red handed. Its a old ploy.
  6. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    30 Sep '09 18:48

I laughed orange juice out my nose when I read it...
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Sep '09 19:50
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I spotted it right off along w/this last one. He is trying to make a mockery out of it now playing the bafoon to cover his sins from the past where he was caught red handed. Its a old ploy.
    Perhaps, but as old ploys go, this is a clever one. You have to at least give him that.
  8. 30 Sep '09 20:00
    Perhaps, but as old ploys go, this is a clever one. You have to at least give him that.
    I admit I did chuckle a bit.
  9. 30 Sep '09 23:31
    Originally posted by telerion
    Of course they will. The lazy thinker can be liberal just as easily as conservative. A partisan pawn in the culture war can take direction from MSN as easily as from Fox.
    You would be the one to know about lazy thinking.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Sep '09 23:45
    Update:

Michael Steele calls Friedman a "nut job" over the article.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/09/30/steele_nyts_tom_friedman_is_a_nut_job.html

Go, Mike, go!