Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    29 Sep '18 20:383 edits
    https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/09/why-girls-are-better-reading-boys/571429/

"Boys Don’t Read Enough
    Girls read more than boys in just about every developed country,
    and it's a big reason they have better educational outcomes."

"One understated contributor to this development has been that girls routinely
    outstrip boys at reading. In two of the largest studies ever conducted
    into the reading habits of children in the United Kingdom, Keith Topping—a
    professor of educational and social research at Scotland’s University of
    Dundee—found that boys dedicate less time than girls to processing words,
    that they’re more prone to skipping passages or entire sections, and
    that they frequently choose books that are beneath their reading levels."

"David Reilly, a psychologist and Ph.D. candidate at Australia’s Griffith
    University who co-authored a recent analysis on gender disparities in
    reading in the U.S., echoed these arguments, pointing to the stereotype
    that liking and excelling at reading is a feminine trait."

I love to read. And I enjoy reading even when not wearing stereotypical feminine attire.
    I don't mind at all, however, if my love of reading stereotypes me as feminine.
    There's nothing wrong with being feminine, though I feel that there's something wrong
    with being compelled to appear and act stereotypically feminine all the time.
    Many girls may avoid chess, for instance, because they feel that it's not feminine.

"Understanding why girls are so much more inclined to read might help
    eradicate what is proving to be a stubborn gender gap both in the U.S.
    and around the world: the lagging educational outcomes of boys and men."

How can boys, who read less than girls, catch up to girls in education?
    One way would to change the culture to encourage boys to read more.
    Another way would be for boys to sexually assault girls, traumatizing them,
    and making them have worse educational outcomes. (sarcasm intended).

As girls surpass boys in reading and hence in most, though not all, academic subjects,
    how far could men go without institutional sexism to help them advance in their careers?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '18 22:47
    Everyone should know that girls are generally better at reading and language while boys are generally better at math.
  3. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Sep '18 22:58
    On this topic, I find it strange what a following Martin Amis has amongst women. His novels have always struck me as being particularly male.

Anyway, try some Amis, that guy knows how to play with words and there's some lovely black humor in there.
  4. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    30 Sep '18 23:20
    The town of Reading, Berkshire, UK has a population of around 160 000, with an almost equal split between male and female numbers.

Nothing to see here, move on.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 00:28
    I am surprised nobody is willing to point out that males are generally better than females at chess.
  6. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 03:06
    Yeah, does reading sloppy romance novels really count as reading though?

Or do Top Gear magazines count too?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 05:42
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Yeah, does reading sloppy romance novels really count as reading though?

Or do Top Gear magazines count too?
    lol. yes and girls play just as much computer games as guys... they just play s*** like 'candy crush' instead of COD or Fortnite ... lmfao
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '18 14:48
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/09/why-girls-are-better-reading-boys/571429/

"Boys Don’t Read Enough

outstrip boys at rea ...[text shortened]... jects,
    how far could men go without institutional sexism to help them advance in their careers?
    The atlantic leads many ignorant people. The answer is simple.

"Several hypotheses have already been put forward to explain why girls' reading skills appear to be better than boys' at school age. A difference in intelligence has been rejected, since girls obviously do not have higher IQ than boys. The same goes for the theory that the difference could have something to do with specific teaching methods, since reading is taught using a variety of methods. Some researchers claim that girls are subject to different requirements and expectations than boys, and that this could explain why girls appear to be better at reading. However, if this is the case, it cannot fully explain the differences. And we still do not have the answer to why this difference seems to disappear when the pupils leave secondary school and move into adult life."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170118103354.htm
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 04:18
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    The atlantic leads many ignorant people. The answer is simple.

"Several hypotheses have already been put forward to explain why girls' reading skills appear to be better than boys' at school age. A difference in intelligence has been rejected, since girls obviously do not have higher IQ than boys. The same goes for the theory that the difference ...[text shortened]... l and move into adult life."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170118103354.htm
    "obviously"???

To whom?
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    02 Oct '18 21:36
    Originally posted by @duchess64

"Boys Don’t Read Enough

outstrip boys at rea ...[text shortened]... jects,
    Boy take on the issue;

There is certainly absolutely nothing wrong with being feminine, and I don't believe that women are 'compelled' to wear anything in particular, or to act in any particular way. Women dress to please themselves, and act as they are. When it comes to femininity, attire's really got nothing to do with it.

As a small case in point, my beloved and partner in the thorny business of life is to yours' truly beautiful whether she is wearing high - heels or training shoes. She is also a voracious reader, whereas when it comes to reading I have the attention span of a gnat, which is odd, really, since I write novels as a hobby (12 so far and counting...) but I haven't read a book in years. Can't really explain that one....

Maybe (?) girls and women are instinctively more interested in people stuff, and most novels, which are what most people read most of the time, are mostly about people. That doesn't really entirely work as a hypothesis because my books are also exclusively about people, but there it is, discuss...

Girls and boys, women and men are different from each other in so many ways that you give up counting, and within this huge generalization are infinite degrees and variables. When it comes down to it there are as many differences between people as there are people, and whether one is born and lives ones' life as a male or female or one decides to change halfway through, making the best of it is thing, don't you think?