Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 30 Jul '11 20:34 / 1 edit
    We have been discussing ethnic voting and matters related to it lately, I am wondering how everyone feels about gender. I think we can all agree that women have been underrepresented in the past. Should we vote for women to correct this error? Also, should all women be supporting Michelle Bachmann? Would a failure to support Michelle Bachmann constitute a betrayal of their gender?
  2. 30 Jul '11 20:40
    Originally posted by dryhump
    We have been discussing ethnic voting and matters related to it lately, I am wondering how everyone feels about gender. I think we can all agree that women have been underrepresented in the past. Should we vote for women to correct this error? Also, should all women be supporting Michelle Bachmann? Would a failure to support Michelle Bachmann constitute a betrayal of their gender?
    Good lord! If that were the case then every British feminist would have had to spend three successive elections voting for... Margaret Thatcher!
  3. 30 Jul '11 21:24 / 1 edit
    I think it would be very interesting to see all woman in the House and Senate as well as the Presidency. I honestly don't think they could be any worse than the current lot and more than likely would be better.

Edit : I am just saying this as a hypothetical. The probability of this scenario is minuscule to nil. But, it would be a nice experiment.
  4. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    30 Jul '11 21:29
    I think the answer to all of your questions is NO.

If a colored person runs for office, does that mean that all colored people should blindly vote for that candidate? NO.

People should evaluate all candidates and then vote for the one they feel is best qualified for the position. Their ethnicity, color or gender should not be a deciding factor by itself.

Of course, in the real world that is not how it works.

Thats my opinion, for what it's worth.
  5. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    30 Jul '11 22:03 / 1 edit
    is thatcher dead yet...naturally i'm thinking of the countless millions she single handedly had a say in ruining their lives overnight..the suicides due to the realisation their industry wasn't just in a slump but had been symptomatically wiped off the map..for the simple fact that their coal was available elsewhere and for pennies a ton less and thatcher thought she'd line the pockets, yet again, of the idle few billionaires and save her government those pennies in government assistance..how about the ambition of creating the police state, recruiting vast swathes of snot nosed 18yr old police 'apprentices' and paying them as much as a primary headmaster...killing the 'freedom' of strikes, killing the unions...favouring those dedicated to undermining 'not her type' of the printed press..radicalising anyone not right wing..the list is endless.
    no, thatcher did nothing for proving 'the woman is not for turning' and probably alienated millions to the thought the fairer sex would be more 'trusted' in government.....is she dead yet...
  6. 30 Jul '11 22:38 / 1 edit
    I'm not so sure women could do any better. What I mean is, I tried telling my wife the other day we have a new debt limit before she went on a trip to the mall. Suffice it so say the reaction was worse than the reaction of Obama and Harry Ried combined!!
  7. 30 Jul '11 22:39
    Should all white males have voted for Bush? should all white males not vote for Obama? Just because someone is of your gender or race does not mean that they will be a good representative. Perhaps this is a novel concept, but I'd argue that you should look based ones religion race and gender and actually look at the qualities and agendas.
  8. 31 Jul '11 01:24
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I think it would be very interesting to see all woman in the House and Senate as well as the Presidency. I honestly don't think they could be any worse than the current lot and more than likely would be better.

Edit : I am just saying this as a hypothetical. The probability of this scenario is minuscule to nil. But, it would be a nice experiment.
    Yeah, but just look at the response you’re going to get from those who normally are of the same “stripe” (no disparagement intended) as you politically—look at whodey’s response for example. On the other hand, what liberal (to the left of—well, Margaret Thatcher) is going to vote for Margaret Thatcher?

So, most of us are not going to vote for someone with whom we disagree with on policy, regardless of gender or race or whatever else. Nevertheless, kudos on being the one here able to grasp the thought experiment. In that vein, I agree. I also agree that it is not a trivial thought experiment. Only really, really anti-feminists could disagree in principle.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Jul '11 01:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    I'm not so sure women could do any better.
    Married women in Indonesia - for instance - have a pretty good CV vis a vis their role in civil society: they tend to take responsibility for the health, the education, the finances and feeding of their families and communities, whilst running businesses or holding down jobs. They are prominent in schools, hospitals, NGOs. Women here are rarely behind acts of violence or inter-communal conflict, nor are they responsible for very much crime or corruption [except when they are successful at playing the 'man's game' of money politics].

You may not be so sure that women could do any better than men. But then again, you are the poster here who routinely makes crude sexually deprecative comments about women politicians in the course of what you purport to be 'debate'.

By contrast, I do think there would be benefits from a feminization of the political domain.
  10. 31 Jul '11 02:44
    this thread is scary.
  11. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    31 Jul '11 02:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    this thread is scary.
    An accurate summation Trev, next thing we'll be discussing whether people with large ears are adequately represented, or that gummint should have a certain frizzy hair component, all that matters are the policies and that they are applied across the board to all humans regardless of whether they have a cock or not.

This is a non-subject.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Jul '11 03:32
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    all that matters are the policies and that they are applied across the board to all humans regardless of whether they have a cock or not.
    This thread is about "policies and how they are applied across the board to all humans...". I guess that went whoosh over your head as you fumbled for one of your attempted maverick put downs!
  13. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    31 Jul '11 03:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    This thread [b]is about "policies and how they are applied across the board to all humans...". I guess that went whoosh over your head as you fumbled for one of your attempted maverick put downs![/b]
    Or contraire, it was no put down simply a statement of fact, there should be no ministry of womans affairs or gummint appointments on the basis of race, that you felt it might be a put down perhaps reveals something about yourself.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    31 Jul '11 04:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Or contraire, it was no put down simply a statement of fact, there should be no ministry of womans affairs or gummint appointments on the basis of race, that you [b]felt it might be a put down perhaps reveals something about yourself.[/b]
    What it reveals about me is that I don't think much of your silly attempt to trivialize a topic that you apparently don't understand.

Men and women have different perspectives, different priorities and different voting patterns. This would most likely translate into some degree of different politics if more women were to be elected and if the 'game' became less 'male'.

Thus, we do have a topic to discuss: How would politics be affected and would it be a good thing? Presumably you will be patting yourself on the back, regardless, - and claiming you've "kicked butt" - for your own really, really funny comment about having a "cock" or the lack of a "cock".
  15. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    31 Jul '11 04:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    What it reveals about me is that I don't think much of your silly attempt to trivialize a topic that you apparently don't understand.

Men and women have different perspectives, different priorities and different voting patterns. This would most likely translate into some degree of different politics if more women were to be elected and if the 'game' be ...[text shortened]... really, really funny comment about having a "cock" or the lack of a "cock".
    You found that funny? Now that is funny.

The game isn't male or female, it is just human.