Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Sep '15 16:20
    http://www.jewishjournal.com/hollywoodjew/item/germanys_moral_courage

-snip-

While the rest of Europe fretted over what to do about a crisis that is being called “the largest wave of emigration since World War II,” Germany, led by its courageous and moral Chancellor Angela Merkel, signaled its willingness to heed the call of millions of desperate refugees, many of whom have been rendered stateless by the war in Syria and other Middle East crises.
    While the United States has sat idly by, draped in its aggrandizing values of justice and liberty for all, its political passivity partly responsible for the refugee crisis to begin with, Germany steps forward with leadership and humanity.
    While the Gulf States of Qatar, Kuwait, Saudia Arabia and the United Arab Emirates defend themselves against charges of apathy and indifference, Germany opens its arms. “You can’t welcome people who come from a different atmosphere, from a different place, who suffer from psychological problems, from trauma, and enter them into societies,” Kuwaiti commentator Fahad Al-Shelaimi, chairman of the Gulf Forum for Peace and Security, said last March during a televised address on France24’s Arabic channel.
    The Gulf States – and the United States – have a few things in common: Both have opened their checkbooks (Saudi Arabia: $18.4 million; Kuwait: $304 million; U.S.: $1.1 billion), while refusing to open their borders. Instead Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan, whose per capita incomes are but a fraction of those in the Gulf States, have absorbed the largest number of refugees (Turkey: 2 million; Lebanon: 1.2 million; Jordan: 630,000). The U.S. has agreed to a paltry 1,500.
    So far, only Germany, and her neighboring Austria, have risked their own stability and security to absorb these fleeing refugees, with Germany expecting to receive 800,000 this year alone.
    The country’s compassion moved the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to praise Germany, Austria and “civil society” itself for their “remarkable” response to the crisis. “This is political leadership based on humanitarian values,” said a UNHCR statement issued on Sept. 5. Newsweek declared Germany’s Chancellor Merkel “Europe’s Conscience.”

etc.

Immigration restrictions are certainly legitimate and important, IMO. However, when refugees truly run for fear of being killed, it is the responsibility of all people to do what they can to rescue them. Congratulations to Germany.

While the above cited article is full of Holocaust allusions and contrasts, and in spite of considerable anti-Semitism that exists in Germany to this day, I'm willing to give Germany the chance (in my own mind) to be the place in which my ancestors flourished for centuries more so than the country that gassed them or drove them out in the early 40's.
  2. 08 Sep '15 16:30
    The article is a bit inaccurate because Sweden has had a generous asylum policy for Syrians for quite a while now, and they receive more asylum seekers per capita than Germany does.

In most other rich European countries, politicians are too afraid of racist scumbags, unfortunately. Germany is one of the few places where they are still marginalized politically.
  3. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    08 Sep '15 17:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The article is a bit inaccurate because Sweden has had a generous asylum policy for Syrians for quite a while now, and they receive more asylum seekers per capita than Germany does.

In most other rich European countries, politicians are too afraid of racist scumbags, unfortunately. Germany is one of the few places where they are still marginalized politically.
    Cameron's Britain will naturally live up to its moral obligations and accept Syrian refugees...

Only after careful seletion of course...

and only 20,000 ....

spread over five years .....

But Britain is a big donor to support refugee camps in adjacent countries, a solution that has worked so well in the past for Palestinian refugees. Britain will pay some cash til the excitement blows over. They will still be in camps in ten years and beyond.
  4. 08 Sep '15 18:21
    Originally posted by sh76

[quote]

-snip-

While the rest of Europe fretted over what to do about a crisis that is being called “the largest wave of emigration since World War II,” Germany, led by its courageous and moral Chancellor Angela Merkel, signaled its willingness to heed the call of millions of despera ...[text shortened]... hed for centuries more so than the country that gassed them or drove them out in the early 40's.
    800,000? Pfft.

The US has accepted millions and they continue to beg for more
  5. 08 Sep '15 18:43

[quote]

-snip-

While the rest of Europe fretted over what to do about a crisis that is being called “the largest wave of emigration since World War II,” Germany, led by its courageous and moral Chancellor Angela Merkel, signaled its willingness to heed the call of millions of despera ...[text shortened]... hed for centuries more so than the country that gassed them or drove them out in the early 40's.
    Any Nation/State's first responsibility is to its citizens. Spending tax money on saving the world, especially parts of it that have thrown themselves into self destructive revolutions and militia battles isn't obligatory.

Nations taking on virtually unlimited immigration from such places will pay a price far greater than the cash the bestow. How bad it is where they come from isn't the fault of the residents of the new country. Mexico may be hell, but the US isn't obliged to take everyone that sneaks in, nor is Germany, or England.

Germans may be acting on a deluded sense of guilt for the sins of their ancestors.
  6. 08 Sep '15 18:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Does anyone care who you determine to be racist scumbags?
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Sep '15 20:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Any Nation/State's first responsibility is to its citizens. Spending tax money on saving the world, especially parts of it that have thrown themselves into self destructive revolutions and militia battles isn't obligatory.

Nations taking on virtually unlimited immigration from such places will pay a price far greater than the cash the bestow. How bad i ...[text shortened]... r England.

Germans may be acting on a deluded sense of guilt for the sins of their ancestors.
    These are people running for their lives because of terrible violence in their home countries, not about getting jobs or improved lifestyle. Immigration rules are fine, but when we have the chance to save innocent lives, it's our moral responsibility to do so.
  8. 08 Sep '15 20:28
    These are people running for their lives because of terrible violence in their home countries, not about getting jobs or improved lifestyle. Immigration rules are fine, but when we have the chance to save innocent lives, it's our moral responsibility to do so.
    I understand the humanitarian disasters that war zones almost always are. It was true in the US during the Civil War, especially near the end with the Georgia and Shenandoah campaigns, and scorched earth policies.

A lot was made of the Blackhawk down incident, and the US was providing humanitarian relief there, but got involved in firefights with militias. At almost the same time, I recall, that the US did absolutely nothing in the massacre of people in Rwanda.

At any given moment, there are such things popping up all over the globe. If saving innocent lives may cost your country its cultural identity, isn't it right to question whether it ought to be done?

I posted an article some time ago, which posited that at current immigration rates (at that time), and with the breeding proclivities of those immigrants, most of Europe would be majority Muslim in roughly 15 years.

Does it matter if conquest is done by a military dictator, or by refugees fleeing from one?
  9. 08 Sep '15 23:28
    Originally posted by normbenign to Sh76
    I understand the humanitarian disasters that war zones almost always are. It was true in the US during the Civil War, especially near the end with the Georgia and Shenandoah campaigns, and scorched earth policies.

A lot was made of the Blackhawk down incident, and the US was providing humanitarian relief there, but got involved in firefights w ...[text shortened]...

Does it matter if conquest is done by a military dictator, or by refugees fleeing from one?
    "...most of Europe would be majority Muslim in roughly 15 years."
    --Normbenign

The idiotic racist Normbenign reiterates more of of his bigoted nonsense.
    As I recall, his claim already has been refuted by KazetNagorra or other writers.

I would rather have some Syrian refugees than a **** like Normbenign as my neighbour.
  10. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Sep '15 06:11 / 1 edit

[quote]

-snip-

The USA has enough problems with illegal immigration. Let the Europeans handle that refugee problem without America for a change.
  11. Standard member Soothfast
    09 Sep '15 07:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The USA has enough problems with illegal immigration. Let the Europeans handle that refugee problem without America for a change.
    The US could help Europe a lot by desisting in its efforts to destabilize Syria by funneling weapons to select Syrian rebel factions. Weapons that the mischances of civil war are almost sure to deliver into the hands of ISIS sooner or later. The Assad regime certainly does not conform to democratic ideals, but Russia at least understands that "the devil you know" is the better bet in the region.
  12. 09 Sep '15 11:18
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Does anyone care who you determine to be racist scumbags?
    You do, apparently.
  13. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    09 Sep '15 14:00

[quote]

-snip-

ISIS said they would have 1/2 a million warriors in Europe before the end of 2015 bingo the are in
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Sep '15 16:29 / 1 edit
    Not that it matters, but I'm curious which idiot clicked "thumbs down" on a post stating only that we have a moral responsibility to save innocent lives.
  15. 09 Sep '15 19:53
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "...most of Europe would be majority Muslim in roughly 15 years."
    --Normbenign

The idiotic racist Normbenign reiterates more of of his bigoted nonsense.
    As I recall, his claim already has been refuted by KazetNagorra or other writers.

I would rather have some Syrian refugees than a **** like Normbenign as my neighbour.
    Fool! It was not my claim, but that of an international journalist. I cited the article. It was never refuted, just disputed.