Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Sep '15 19:54
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You do, apparently.
    I'd like to know, but really that designation toward others say more about you than about your unnamed victims.
  2. 09 Sep '15 19:58
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The US could help Europe a lot by desisting in its efforts to destabilize Syria by funneling weapons to select Syrian rebel factions. Weapons that the mischances of civil war are almost sure to deliver into the hands of ISIS sooner or later. The Assad regime certainly does not conform to democratic ideals, but Russia at least understands that "the devil you know" is the better bet in the region.
    I'm with you on the idea that the US ought to cease and desist from getting involved in fights that aren't our business.

The last fight in the Mediterranean area that was our business was in the 1800s.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Proud Boys Beware
    09 Sep '15 20:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I'm with you on the idea that the US ought to cease and desist from getting involved in fights that aren't our business.

The last fight in the Mediterranean area that was our business was in the 1800s.
    1940's

http://ww2-weapons.com/War-Diary/1941/12/Dec-08-14.htm
  4. 09 Sep '15 21:37 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not that it matters, but I'm curious which idiot clicked "thumbs down" on a post
    stating only that we have a moral responsibility to save innocent lives.
    Don't worry about it, Sh76, I routinely get 'thumbed down' for my most innocuous posts.
    Some of my trolls have admitted they don't read my posts before they thumb them down.

With regard to the humanitarian crisis in Syria, there evidently are some racists here
    who may believe that the only good Arab Muslim refugee is a a dead Arab Muslim refugee.
    This forum seems overflowing with hate, which may be harder to avoid noticing if
    one's not a heterosexual white American man.
  5. 09 Sep '15 21:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Fool! It was not my claim, but that of an international journalist. I cited the article. It was never refuted, just disputed.
    Normbenign makes another dishonest attempt to deny responsibility for posting nonsense.
    Normbenign has persistently quoted this apparently anonymous 'international journalist'
    in contexts where he seems to believe or wants to encourage belief in this nonsense.

*If* Normbenign really, as he now disingenuously insinuates, does *not* believe this claim,
    then would Normbenign be ready to go on the record now by making a declaration:
    "I think it's absurd that most of Europe will have a majority Muslim population any time soon." ?
    Knowing his fanatical bigotry, I doubt that the racist Normbenign will do that.
  6. 09 Sep '15 21:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung to Normbenign
    1940's

http://ww2-weapons.com/War-Diary/1941/12/Dec-08-14.htm
    Normbenign's extremely arrogantly ignorant and misinformed about history.

There were some American 'isolationists' who believed that, after Japan attacked Pearl
    Harbor, the United States should *not* have declared war on Germany and Italy.
    But Hitler declared war on the United States, making it easier for Roosevelt to return the favor.
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    09 Sep '15 22:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    800,000? Pfft.

The US has accepted millions and they continue to beg for more
    You are a fantasist as always. It is drones, bombs and guns that the US supplies, not shelter.
    Aid groups and at least 14 senators have called on the US government to take in thousands more Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, amid international outcry prompted by shocking images of a three-year-old boy’s body lying face down in the surf in Turkey....

The US senators have recommended the US take in at least five times more than the approximately 1,500 Syrian refugees that Washington has admitted since the conflict began in 2011.
    Barack Obama has said comparatively little about the refugee crisis as opposed to the US-led war against the extremist group Isis, a campaign to which he devoted a national address last year. Asked on Thursday about US plans to take in more refugees, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said there are no “impending policy changes” and that the US will continue to offer aid to Europe.

“There is certainly capacity in Europe to deal with this problem, and the United States certainly stands with our European partners.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/03/aid-groups-senators-us-take-in-65000-syrian-refugees

What does it mean to say "Europe has the capacity to deal with this" unless it means that the US has been stepping backward, not forward.
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    09 Sep '15 22:42 / 1 edit
    The White House staff and press corps should just look at the White House website.

If they did, they would find this memo to congress from President Barack Obama:

"In accordance with section 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (the "Act" ) (8 U.S.C. 1157), and after appropriate consultations with the Congress, I hereby make the following determinations and authorise the following actions: The admission of up to 70,000 refugees to the United States during Fiscal Year (FY) 2015 is justified by humanitarian concerns ..."

The president sets the ceiling as it is called, in consultation with congress. For the fiscal year 2015 the limit was set at 70,000 refugees.

That larger number is split by regions. The region that includes Syria allows for 33,000 refugees to be let in this year.

That number gets divided up by 18 different countries, and that includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Palestine and Yemen.

The state department says it wants to increase the number of refugees, but it isn't saying how many

The state department does not like to talk numbers when it comes to Syrian refugees. They tend to say they plan to take 1,800 by the end of this year.

They focus on the plan to take more than 5,000 next year.

The number they do not highlight? 1,243. According to the Refugee Processing Center website, that is the number of Syrian refugees that have come to the US since the civil war started in 2011.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/americas/2015/09/step-syrian-refugee-crisis-challenge-150909161637525.html
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    09 Sep '15 23:10
    Of course Syria used to be an important destination on the US programme of "extraordinary rendition" by which the US sent people to other countries for them to be interrogated under torture.
    Syria is said to have been one of the "most common destinations for rendered suspects",
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/05/cia-rendition-countries-covert-support

That leads me to speculate whether the USA has yet accepted more refugees from Syria than the victims the USA sent into Syria under that programme.
  10. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Sep '15 23:45
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Of course Syria used to be an important destination on the US programme of "extraordinary rendition" by which the US sent people to other countries for them to be interrogated under torture.
    Syria is said to have been one of the "most common destinations for rendered suspects",
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/05/cia-rendition-countr ...[text shortened]... accepted more refugees from Syria than the victims the USA sent into Syria under that programme.
    Why don't you stop worrying about what the USA is doing and worry more about what Ireland is doing and start donating your money and time to help?
  11. 10 Sep '15 01:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds to Finnegan
    Why don't you stop worrying about what the USA is doing and worry more
    about what Ireland is doing and start donating your money and time to help?
    As far as I know, Ireland falls short of the USA's recent record of imperialist aggression.
    Many people around the world have donated their money or time to help repair damage done by the USA.
  12. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    10 Sep '15 09:51
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    As far as I know, Ireland falls short of the USA's recent record of imperialist aggression.
    Many people around the world have donated their money or time to help repair damage done by the USA.
    People like you are always blaming the USA for trying to do something to help, but refuse to do anything yourself to help. What hypocrites you are.
  13. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    10 Sep '15 19:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Why don't you stop worrying about what the USA is doing and worry more about what Ireland is doing and start donating your money and time to help?
    Well as you ought to notice, my posts were a reply to the false claims made about the USA contribution: specifically
    800,000? Pfft. / The US has accepted millions and they continue to beg for more
    I do not see why that false and deluded claim should go unchallenged. You guys think you can say and write whatever you want without fact checking. I was checking the facts behind the ludicrous claim made by Whodey. It seems to me a good thing, in general, to check facts where possible. Obviously, that may be uncomfortable for those deluded US nationalists who think they live in the proverbial "city on the hill" but there you go, facts is facts and they do not support your fairy stories.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Sep '15 19:33
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Well as you ought to notice, my posts were a reply to the false claims made about the USA contribution: specifically
    800,000? Pfft. / The US has accepted millions and they continue to beg for more
    I do not see why that false and deluded claim should go unchallenged. You guys think you can say and write whate ...[text shortened]... "city on the hill" but there you go, facts is facts and they do not support your fairy stories.
    A couple of pertinent quotes from Stephen Colbert:

And reality has a well-known liberal bias.

The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday — no matter what happened Tuesday.
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    10 Sep '15 23:17 / 2 edits
    Also from his testimony to Congress: September 4 2010:

"I like talking about people who don't have any power, and this seems like one of the least powerful people in the United States are migrant workers who come and do our work, but don't have any rights as a result. And yet we still invite them to come here and at the same time ask them to leave. And that's an interesting contradiction to me. And, you know, 'Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers,' and these seem like the least of our brothers right now... Migrant workers suffer and have no rights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Colbert