Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Jan '12 00:37 / 1 edit
    Exit polls suggest he could win by 10 points or even more.

A happy day for the White House.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    22 Jan '12 00:44
    Originally posted by sh76

Manna from heaven.

Can anything stop a GOP Newt-Palin ticket?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Jan '12 00:50
    On the bright side, this means a much more interesting next couple of months.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    22 Jan '12 00:51
    You have to luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Southern Republicans:

Of those who think beating Mr. Obama is the most important candidate quality, Mr. Gingrich wins nearly half of the votes, the most of any of the Republican candidates.

And voters in South Carolina were more likely than voters in New Hampshire to say that beating Mr. Obama was the most important quality in a Republican candidate.

Mr. Romney and his allies have also been making the case for electability, arguing that Mr. Romney — not Mr. Gingrich — would be a better challenger to the incumbent.

But at least in South Carolina, it looks as if more voters agreed with Mr. Gingrich.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/lessons-from-the-south-carolina-exit-polls/?partner=rss&emc=rss
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Jan '12 01:05
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You have to luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Southern Republicans:

Of those who think beating Mr. Obama is the most important candidate quality, Mr. Gingrich wins nearly half of the votes, the most of any of the Republican candidates.

And voters in South Carolina were more likely than voters in New Hampshire to say that beating Mr. Obama was the m ...[text shortened]... blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/lessons-from-the-south-carolina-exit-polls/?partner=rss&emc=rss
    Electable is what you call the candidate you like.

For example, a conservative voter from SC will no doubt tell you something like:

What this country needs is a true conservative. We lost in 2008 because McCain wasn't conservative enough. If we nominate Romney, the people will choose a real Democrat over a faux Democrat. So, we need to nominate a real conservative like Newt...
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Jan '12 01:08
    I'm watching Romney's concession speech now.

His campaign has apparently now decided to sell the idea that attacking him on Bain Capital and his income is an attack on the free market and capitalism.

It might just be sound-bite-ish enough to work.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    22 Jan '12 01:12
    Electable is what you call the candidate you like.

For example, a conservative voter from SC will no doubt tell you something like:

What this country needs is a true conservative. We lost in 2008 because McCain wasn't conservative enough. If we nominate Romney, the people will choose a real Democrat over a faux Democrat. So, we need to nominate a real conservative like Newt...
    I sincerely hope all the conservative voters in the Republican primaries agree.
  8. 22 Jan '12 01:15
    I sincerely hope all the conservative voters in the Republican primaries agree.
    Why?
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    22 Jan '12 01:17
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Why?
    $50 from uther.

Though if the Republicans are really crazy enough to nominate Gingrich, I may allow him to opt out of the bet if he asks nicely.
  10. 22 Jan '12 01:19
    $50 from uther.

Though if the Republicans are really crazy enough to nominate Gingrich, I may allow him to opt out of the bet if he asks nicely.
    You bet for the primary or the general?
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Jan '12 01:22
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    You bet for the primary or the general?
    The bet was whether Obama would be re-elected (I think the bet was made at least a couple of years ago).

Personally, if Gingrich is nominated, I'll give 2:1 odds for anyone willing to take Newt.
  12. Standard member Soothfast
    22 Jan '12 01:25
    Haw haw...
  13. 22 Jan '12 01:26

I don't know if it's a happy day for the White House. I thought the same in 2008 with the extended slugfest between Obama and Clinton. But what resulted was a very vetted, seasoned, and toughened Obama with a public which was tired of hearing about Rev. Wright, the Weathermen, and Chicago politics by the summer. And Obama and Clinton had months of highly watched debates which framed the issues.

I'm sure Romney would have preferred a quick win, but one upside is that the public will probably be Bained out before the Democrats even have the opportunity to raise it their way.
  14. 22 Jan '12 01:28
    I'm watching Romney's concession speech now.

His campaign has apparently now decided to sell the idea that attacking him on Bain Capital and his income is an attack on the free market and capitalism.

It might just be sound-bite-ish enough to work.
    It might have worked against Obama or another Democrat, but I doubt it's going to play well in a Republican primary. Nobody thinks Newt is anti-capitalist.

And I hesitate to bring it up, but I have to wonder if anti-Mormon bigotry wasn't a factor here.
  15. 22 Jan '12 01:34
    It looks like Romney lost every income level except for above $200,000.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/updates/4433?ref=fpblg

I'm not sure the dismissive attitude about the Bain criticism is a pretty good idea. He should probably throw Bain under the bus, but I don't think he can bring himself to do that.