Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 11 Feb '12 13:36
    People generally agree that we should bring back Glass Steagall.

Why don't the American people pressure politicians to bring it back?
    Why do people still support Obama when he says nothing about restoring it?
  2. 11 Feb '12 14:18
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    People generally agree that we should bring back Glass Steagall.

Because most people don't know what it is, nor know its implications.

Because the alternatives are worse.
  3. 11 Feb '12 15:51
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]Why don't the American people pressure politicians to bring it back?

Because the alternatives are worse.[/b]
    I agree with the first part, but why would the alternatives be worse? Do you mean all of the republicans trying to get the nomination?
  4. 11 Feb '12 15:54
    I agree with the first part, but why would the alternatives be worse? Do you mean all of the republicans trying to get the nomination?
    Yes. But I think you opened this thread to talk about Glass-Steagall, not Obama.
  5. 11 Feb '12 16:01
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIC8E9Q2pTs
  6. 11 Feb '12 17:01
    Oh, well I guess the deaths of millions of Americans due to the implementation of laissez faire capitalism are worth it if Glass-Steagall is reinstated.
  7. 11 Feb '12 17:07
    [b]Why don't the American people pressure politicians to bring it back?

Because the alternatives are worse.[/b]

Those be the same Americans who said, in effect, "Just tell me where to sign" their mortgage documents.

BTW the problem with Ron Paul is that his way of doing things calls for a much more savvy rank and file American.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    11 Feb '12 17:19
    Originally posted by JS357

Those be the same Americans who said, in effect, "Just tell me where to sign" their mortgage documents.

BTW the problem with Ron Paul is that his way of doing things calls for a much more savvy rank and file American.
    I regard it as immaterial that probably a majority of Americans don't know exactly what Glass-Stegall was. There is very strong support for increased regulation of banking and the financial services industry (as well as limits on executive pay) according to most polls. Here's one: http://www.mybanktracker.com/bank-news/2010/06/22/harris-poll-u-s-public-wants-more-bank-regulations/
  9. 11 Feb '12 17:30
    Oh, well I guess the deaths of millions of Americans due to the implementation of laissez faire capitalism are worth it if Glass-Steagall is reinstated.
    Millions? Hardly. Maybe people will actually work for a living instead of collecting welfare though. Not that Ron Paul would become a dictator and actually be able to do it.

If we go to war with Iran it will be millions dead though. I guess Persian lives don't matter to you.

Kill the hard working people and reward the lazy leaches of society. Great solution. De-evolution. lovely.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    11 Feb '12 17:34 / 1 edit
    It'd be nice to get the people collecting rent checks to work for a living instead.
  11. 11 Feb '12 17:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I regard it as immaterial that probably a majority of Americans don't know exactly what Glass-Stegall was. There is very strong support for increased regulation of banking and the financial services industry (as well as limits on executive pay) according to most polls. Here's one: http://www.mybanktracker.com/bank-news/2010/06/22/harris-poll-u-s-public-wants-more-bank-regulations/
    Sure, but that's now, after the painful education or should I say reeducation. I would be more impressed by such a poll result (~69% for more regulation) being reported at the time Clinton signed the 'repeal' of G-S. That's November 1999.

I don't want to pay for the education of the American voter by those methods. I'd rather pay for better civics classes in high school. Is there even a course by that name or having that curriculum?
  12. 11 Feb '12 18:33
    Millions? Hardly. Maybe people will actually work for a living instead of collecting welfare though. Not that Ron Paul would become a dictator and actually be able to do it.

If we go to war with Iran it will be millions dead though. I guess Persian lives don't matter to you.

Kill the hard working people and reward the lazy leaches of society. Great solution. De-evolution. lovely.
    The countries with generous welfare systems tend to have high labour participation rates, but I wouldn't expect you do know such facts as they are not in accordance with laissez faire religious dogma.
  13. 11 Feb '12 18:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Polling popularity isn't any measure of right or wrong. Obama care was polling in the toilet when Congress approved it.

The repeal of Glass Steagall's proximity to the banking crisis for the simple minded make it the cause. As we know proximity doesn't equal causation.
  14. 11 Feb '12 18:58
    The countries with generous welfare systems tend to have high labour participation rates, but I wouldn't expect you do know such facts as they are not in accordance with laissez faire religious dogma.
    Source?
  15. 11 Feb '12 19:07
    Source?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_employment_rate

This is really basic stuff, you should really study some empirical facts pertaining to economics. I could quit my job and live off benefits all my life if I wanted to. I'd get shelter, food, free health care, sanitation and electricity and plenty of money to buy whatever I need (computer, TV, kitchen appliances etc.). I choose not to because A) I'd get really bored and B) I get more money if I work. Most people, believe it or not, like having more money and don't like feeling useless. You don't have to actually kill half of them to ensure they are motivated to work.